Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here has been out fishing lately? I have not had my boat out for two weeks now and it is killing me. My tow vehicle was down for awhile with a bad timing chains. My mechanic was on vacation, then he replaced my chains & more when he got home. Luckily, no damage to my engine. Running like a new truck again. Ready to get out there now. Will be going out this Saturday (8-6-22) but don't know where to head. Any tips for me? Not asking for your hot spot, just some general info if you've been getting ANYTHING lately. (Baits used, lures used, depth of water, trolling, drifting, casting, anchored, etc)??? Will be looking for perch, gills, sunnies, walleyes, rockies, anything at all. I will put a report on here Saturday when my grandson and I get home from fishing that day. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
Just wondering if anyone on here has been out fishing lately? I have not had my boat out for two weeks now and it is killing me. My tow vehicle was down for awhile with a bad timing chains. My mechanic was on vacation, then he replaced my chains & more when he got home. Luckily, no damage to my engine. Running like a new truck again. Ready to get out there now. Will be going out this Saturday (8-6-22) but don't know where to head. Any tips for me? Not asking for your hot spot, just some general info if you've been getting ANYTHING lately. (Baits used, lures used, depth of water, trolling, drifting, casting, anchored, etc)??? Will be looking for perch, gills, sunnies, walleyes, rockies, anything at all. I will put a report on here Saturday when my grandson and I get home from fishing that day. Thanks!!!
Yes please some of us want to come up in the fall

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't give ya any fishing details but sure am glad you got your truck fixed and you're going to be able to get out. Looking forward to fishing report.
I will put a report on here tomorrow evening, but my reports are posted whether we do good OR bad, and usually they are not that great. LOL Sometimes I go out there and nail them and sometimes there is a skunk on my boat somewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Iggy - i picked up a couple walleyes in the middle channel on BB's last weekend - I'm gonna try the dumping grounds this weekend and look for some perch, probably Sunday morning - I'll let y'all know if I find them:)

Have a great weekend folks-
Gilligan

·
Super Moderator
43 Posts
Thanks for the report Gilligan.
You guys make me jealous cause I'm not up there with you around such a prestine fishery.🤣
But reading these posts makes me more anxious than ever to get back up that way.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom, Those are a couple of dandies there. If you are referring to the Swanview Inn in Alganac, I will not be near the SCR at all. We will be heading towards Strawberry Island first this morning, then in the bay between the Clinton River & Metro Park. The last time we tried it there, we caught some nice gills & sunnies and a few bass, large mouths and smallies as well, however, that was a few weeks ago now, but we'll see what happens. Whether we get any or not, it's great to be out there with my grandson!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
We ended up near the shipping channel between #28 & #30 on the “Canadian” side of the channel 20 feet of water - perch rigs with either minnows or crawlers - minnows may of had a slight edge, but not much. We sorted through a ton of dinks and took home 20 keepers nine inches and larger - we left after 3 hours @ 11:30 - nice and cool out there😁

·
Super Moderator
43 Posts
We ended up near the shipping channel between #28 & #30 on the “Canadian” side of the channel 20 feet of water - perch rigs with either minnows or crawlers - minnows may of had a slight edge, but not much. We sorted through a ton of dinks and took home 20 keepers nine inches and larger - we left after 3 hours @ 11:30 - nice and cool out there😁
Sounds like a decent day for sure Gilligan.
And If'n your weather has been anything like ours as far as high temps and humidity...don't blame ya a bit for getting off the water.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gilligan, Glad you found some decent perch out there. I will just have to break down and take to ride out there I guess to get some of them. I bought some minnows yesterday, put my air pump in the bucket and by the time i mad it out to the lake at Metro, mostly all of the minnows were flostting in the bucket. I probably only had about 6-7 that were alive out of three dozen that they put into my bucket. They were not emeralds.

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
Gilligan, Glad you found some decent perch out there. I will just have to break down and take to ride out there I guess to get some of them. I bought some minnows yesterday, put my air pump in the bucket and by the time i mad it out to the lake at Metro, mostly all of the minnows were flostting in the bucket. I probably only had about 6-7 that were alive out of three dozen that they put into my bucket. They were not emeralds.
maybe a little ice/

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked mine up @ Lakeside - they were small but the majority stayed alive...i got the biggest fish this morning on a big dead minnow.

·
Super Moderator
43 Posts
maybe a little ice/
Yep...frozen water bottles sure help to keep the water about 70degrees.

Also...Those minnows can be really hard to keep during the dog days. Especially if where you get them from isn't aerating reallywell and have a lot of fresh water pumping into their tanks. Just the trip from the bait store to the lake can deplete the little bit of oxygen in the water and if there's not been any fresh water pumping into the holding tanks at the bait store...the high ammonia content will kill them as well.
If I don't get my minnows from a bait store right on the lake(which is where I prefer to get them) and am going to have to travel a bit...I like to take a tall 5gal bucket...swing by a body of water and fill bucket up about half way. Then when I get the minnows take minnow bucket and put it in the 5gal bucket which obviously acts like a partial water change.
Of course as soon as I can get the minnow bucket hung over the side of the boat or in the livewell...it goes there pumping fresh water in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts