Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember the "pup's" from the super bowl party at Jacks. 1 of them is my biological son, the other is my son's lifelong best friend(non deductable son) and they have yet to learn the JOY of a REAL job. Yesterday they came home with information about the Job Corps and said they would rather be recruited for that instead of working at Taco Bell. To be honest, that scares the hell out of me, especially since it is a live in program and the only location is downtown Detroit. So I am hoping that someone on this list will know of some kind of job that will work for them, because so far no one is hiring and especially not 17 year olds. I thought maybe someone might need help at a marina or with yard work,etc. Please PM me if you have any information or suggestions.

·
LSCN Sponsor
328 Posts
Most of the Marinas you have to be 18 to work at, maybe try the gas docks.

Or tell them to get some lawnmowers and cut a few lawns great business for kids they may get some clients through here $16 per lawn 4 a day beets flipping burgers for the summer then look again in the fall. Just a thought.

New video store at Little MAck and 11 is hiring, and there is always Salvaggios for the kids they hire alot of 16 and up my niece works there.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I worked at Uncle ED's Oil Shoppe at 17, then Sunoco as a Mechanic's helper / assistant. When I graduated from HS I went right to a dealer and walked into a 25K job. 25K is alot when you are 18. Do they have aspirations for college later??

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
ps- after the dealer, I worked contract for manufaturers building protptype cars (full sized models) and eventually worked my way up to being an engineer. With my varioius jobs I have been able to pay my way through college and now have my BS. I was doing very well actually, until my 100 posts per day that GM didn't like too much.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAHAHA 100 posts a day?? I know my son wants to become an architect(awesome at drawing), but is not sure he can survive all the college needed, and if not, then he would like to try police officer(YIKES) so I told him if he just stays in school and works part time to support his clothing(fashion addict) the he can live at home and not worry about any other bills except his car. I just think he needs some lessons in the costs of things, so the best way is to get a job, but most fast food places are a joke now days, so I was hoping someone might have alternative suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Amelia @ Mar 7 2004, 07:08 PM)HAHAHA 100 posts a day?? I know my son wants to become an architect(awesome at drawing), but is not sure he can survive all the college needed, and if not, then he would like to try police officer(YIKES) so I told him if he just stays in school and works part time to support his clothing(fashion addict) the he can live at home and not worry about any other bills except his car. I just think he needs some lessons in the costs of things, so the best way is to get a job, but most fast food places are a joke now days, so I was hoping someone might have alternative suggestions or ideas.
maybe Meijer. They start out at like 6 an hour for various positions and are unionized so there are pretty consistent raises.

If he wants to be an Archetect, tell him to think about LTU.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There are sooooooooo many jobs out there for kids under 18. When I was 13 I caddied. 14 worked at Nino Salvaggios. 15 started bussing tables at a restaurant. 16 worked at a bike shop, and ski shop. I could go on and on, but the reply would be forever long. Tell them to go to local resaurants. They are ALWAYS looking for kitchen help... dishwashing, bussing... etc. If you need any more advice, PM me.. I would be happy to give you some more ideas.

John

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now there's a possible idea. Golf caddy, but at 17 would they be considered too old to be a caddy? Any other "out of the norm" ideas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have them try the school district doing grounds keeping...I did that when i was 17 in troy. All you do is go to either a middle school or elementary school for the day and cut their grass, pull weeds, weed whip, spread wood chips, paint parking lots, and anything else the janitors don't want to do. in troy, they let you go to the highschools if you come back the next year!

It's such an easy job and you get a great tan too!!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
QUOTE(Amelia @ Mar 8 2004, 09:57 AM)now there's a possible idea. Golf caddy, but at 17 would they be considered too old to be a caddy? Any other "out of the norm" ideas?
Definitely working at a golf course for him Amelia - then you can golf for free

or...landscaping - good money for a kid his age and a pretty nice office to boot.

My friend Carl owns a produce thingie down in the Eastern Market. If your son and his friend want to work Saturday mornings for Carl, it's easy $$ (he pays around 80/day cash), but the hours are from like 5 am to 3pm. pm me if you want his number - he's always hiring and your son and his friend can prob start this weekend.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
working in the eastern market on saturday mornings is AWESOME!!! the bustle, the hustle, the people... it's awesome! i did it for a year at butcher's saloon. cool idea as is the caddy.

i think jack's is hiring bussers. on event days they do stuff for me! hee hee! have him call jacks' to inquire 586-445-8080. i'll be happy to reference them, amelia!
tell them to put my name on their aps as referred by. worked for a girlfriend of mine and she's been there a year! (who also worked with me at butcher's saloon! lol!)

·
Registered
531 Posts
My youngest ships out to Parris Island for Marine Corp boot camp. perhaps they can join him. They'll get to camp outside, shoot a gun, get lots of exercise. Meet some real friendly people. A new wradrobe with a whole ensemble of matching shirts and shoes. If yours signs up they can go together!

After boot they'll get to go to MCT (Marine Combat training) for 22 days, then to school.

All this and a paycheck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JEEZ!!! I heard that the "students" that come back from Paris Island like to "knock off your head and spit down your neck" for fun??

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTEJEEZ!!! I heard that the "students" that come back from Paris Island like to "knock off your head and spit down your neck" for fun??

Kids these days and the things they do for fun.

what happened to the good ole days of drinking Annie Green Springs wine, jumping the fence at the drive in and watching a movie......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts