Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a GPS/Chartplotter I have the Garmin 176C. I am tossing around the idea of a radar unit for the boat as well but am wondering if I really need one for St Clair River/lake, Detroit River and trips to PIB and Cedar Point. Boat/US has the JRC 1000 on sale for $700.00 and the JRC 1500 for $800.00. With coupons and such, I can knock off nearly another $100.00.

For boating our great lake, is one really needed?
Does anyone have one?
How often do you use it out here?
What is the feeling on the 1000 compaired to the 1500 besides the extra .5kw on the 1500?

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Don't personally have a boat but been on many that do. Radar is a great reassurance, Are you planning to do inclimant/night outings?

I hope to have one when I get one!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(garydebs @ Mar 23 2003, 02:13 AM)Are you planning to do inclimant/night outings?

I hope to have one when I get one!
Not so much inclimant boating as probably more night boating/cruishing/fishing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have Radar on my boat and it does come in handy when you need it. I've traveled across Lake St. Clair in the fog when you couldn't see a hundred yards in front of you
and had no problem. We also go to put-in -bay at least three times a summer and it's helped going across Lake Erie, especially when it lights up what appears to be hundreds of fishing boats before you get in the middle of them.[It gives you a chance to go around them] It's also nice for nite cruising, you just need to be able to tell what is a bouy and what is a boat. I got me a night vision scope just to be sure. Normally the bouys form a line on the radar screen but when you're in an unfamiliar spot it does'nt hurt to make sure. But overall the best use you'll have for it is if your on a trip and you happen to get into fog, especially in the mornings. Lake Huron can be real confusing when you can't see anything.

Bigwake

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here is my .02 ..........

Just picked up the boat last spring and there were some rain squalls as we went through the session with the delivery skipper. After we were satisified with the boat, we came out of the North channel and into a complete fog / rain blinder. I turned on the radar and chart plotter and knew where to go and, becausse of the radar, avoided several conservation markers that would have surely fouled my props. Between Radar and plotter, I was able to confirm my location and make safe passage across the lake. Radar is a must for any vessel I own.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I am looking at Boat/US's JRC 1000. Its 1.5 kw and I can pick it up for about $600.00 plus installation. I am leaning toward it more and more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts