Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this on another forum. The person doing the write up has a great sense of humor too. Can you imagine being there watching this and trying to hold a straight face?
I guess this WOULD be the result you were hoping for after watching them prepare it for launch all day. Not to mention the months years? of construction and bragging leading up to it.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99253

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Waldawg @ Oct 29 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just goes to show that a computer will do only what you tell it to do...

Reminds me of one I heard from my BIL the other day...

PICNIC

Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
So, let me get this strait...

Two dudes (somewhere in the US) built this bulk of a boat. Tried to launch it and their design made the boat too heavy in the stern and it started to sink on the trailer. Now, they don't know what to do about. Probably entering into depression?! Thinking of cutting away part of the boat to lighten it up?

I got that just from looking at the pics and reading very little. Is that what happened?

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Oct 30 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Oct 30 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Waldawg @ Oct 29 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just goes to show that a computer will do only what you tell it to do...

Reminds me of one I heard from my BIL the other day...

PICNIC

Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Being a tech my favorite is there is a screw loose between the keyboard and the chair

Don't forget the classic ID-10-T error.

We used to get these errors from the disk drives (back in the mid 80s when 75 Meg drives were large) that said Disk Headspace and Timing, which meant that the drive heads were not working right and we had to pull the disk pack and re-mount it. Over time that evolved into Operator Headspace and Timing.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rather than reducing the weight, they are adding massive new sponsons. More guess-work that got them in trouble in the first place.
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showpost.p...p;postcount=460

I bookmarked that thread. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Some people have too much money and not enough brains. Scrap that boat and go buy a Sea Ray.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Nov 5 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rather than reducing the weight, they are adding massive new sponsons. More guess-work that got them in trouble in the first place.

Some people have too much money and not enough brains. Scrap that boat and go buy a Sea Ray.

They created the Spruce Goose of motor yachts!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Convincor @ Nov 5 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rather than reducing the weight, they are adding massive new sponsons. More guess-work that got them in trouble in the first place.

Excellent analogy!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(SAILOR @ Nov 5 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<snip>

Excellent analogy!

Actually... TERRIBLE analogy!!!!

The "Spruce Goose" was a HIGHLY engineered vessel built by folks who had a LOT of experience. Without any of the computer modelling or wind tunnel testing we enjoy today, they built ONE prototype and it FLEW. Granted, it did not fly far, but the financing was pulled and project scrapped before any real flight testing could validate the airframe or work out any discovered issues.

The guys who are building this "boat" obviously don't have **ANY** experience building watercraft and pretty much using PLATE metal instead of SHEET metal... building more of a battleship than a recreational cruiser.... and that's IF it ends up floating. Who knows... this could be the first **brand new** artificial reef for divers (if they can get it to deep enough water so it's not a navigational hazard!)

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Nov 6 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SAILOR @ Nov 5 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<snip>

Excellent analogy!

The "Spruce Goose" was a HIGHLY engineered vessel built by folks who had a LOT of experience. Without any of the computer modelling or wind tunnel testing we enjoy today, they built ONE prototype and it FLEW. Granted, it did not fly far, but the financing was pulled and project scrapped before any real flight testing could validate the airframe or work out any discovered issues.

The guys who are building this "boat" obviously don't have **ANY** experience building watercraft and pretty much using PLATE metal instead of SHEET metal... building more of a battleship than a recreational cruiser.... and that's IF it ends up floating. Who knows... this could be the first **brand new** artificial reef for divers (if they can get it to deep enough water so it's not a navigational hazard!)

I'll go with less than ideal analogy.

I agree with your points, but, big, expensive, and unlikely to ever see use, and large commonalities.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 6 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Nov 6 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(SAILOR @ Nov 5 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Nov 5 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<snip>

Excellent analogy!

I'll go with less than ideal analogy.

I agree with your points, but, big, expensive, and unlikely to ever see use, and large commonalities.

I was not thinking so literally but more to the point of once down the path failing to realize they were over their heads and stopping. I am sure now they feel that with all they have invested they "must" continue. Not to mention that the spruce goose was a black hole of funding that ended up being useless as far as its intent.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts