Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I'm fishing with my 4 year old and my trolling motor makes a couple large clunking noises and stops spinning completely. Nothing. Battery freshly charged, only used for about 10 minutes. Don't think I hit anything, wasn't any prop damage, just clunked a few times and stopped. I don't really want to drop $500+ on a new Minn Kota (which I would love), so my question to all of you is: Know anyone that can repair, or at least look at, a trolling motor to find out if it nees to be fixed or replaced. Any and all appreciated. Thanks. Oh yeah. It's standard issue for Tahoe Q4SF. 54lb thrust, 12volt. I think the model is 54FB. Thanks again.

Zak

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Aug 19 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only MotorGuide repair that I know of on this side of the state is at Wonderland Marine in Howell.

Got an email back from the guys at Wonderland marina you referred me to. They want 95 bones to look at/diagnose the problem. If they can fix it, it covers the cost up to an hour, plus parts. If it's dead I'm out the 95 plus a new motor, so I just have to figure out the odds... but thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
im clueless but cant you take the lower unit apart? maybe if it does come apart, you might see something floating around.

again, i really have no idea, just suggestions........GL

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 24v trolling motor on my Nitro which is also from Bass Pro. I had something similar happen to my motor and it was a fusable link inside the plug that plugs into the socket on the bow of the boat. Its late and I cant find any exploded views online of what I am talking about. I have a 67lb thrust model they dont make anymore. However, all I had to do was order and replace the plug at the end of the cable. Being 12v, I'm not sure you will have the same plug as me. I have the large 1"+ dia plug with the 3 blades on it that is keyed to go in one way. Its something to look at. There was a fuse type piece of metal inside the plug that fried on the ground and had to be replaced. Honestly though, if you cant fix it, its going ot run you at least $95, but probably more like $200. Might want to look into upgrades? Typically the magnets crack due to heat inside. How long have you had it? There is a 2yr warranty on motorguides I think. If its the magnets, you are easily looking at $200+. Good luck and I hope its something simple.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Aug 22 2009, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>im clueless but cant you take the lower unit apart? maybe if it does come apart, you might see something floating around.

again, i really have no idea, just suggestions........GL

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will probably take your advise and give it a try. I just know it's going to be at least $200 after parts and labor...... damn it...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 22 2009, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 24v trolling motor on my Nitro which is also from Bass Pro. I had something similar happen to my motor and it was a fusable link inside the plug that plugs into the socket on the bow of the boat. Its late and I cant find any exploded views online of what I am talking about. I have a 67lb thrust model they dont make anymore. However, all I had to do was order and replace the plug at the end of the cable. Being 12v, I'm not sure you will have the same plug as me. I have the large 1"+ dia plug with the 3 blades on it that is keyed to go in one way. Its something to look at. There was a fuse type piece of metal inside the plug that fried on the ground and had to be replaced. Honestly though, if you cant fix it, its going ot run you at least $95, but probably more like $200. Might want to look into upgrades? Typically the magnets crack due to heat inside. How long have you had it? There is a 2yr warranty on motorguides I think. If its the magnets, you are easily looking at $200+. Good luck and I hope its something simple.

I've had it for 3 years, but this is the first year I've really pushed it hard. Thanks a million for the tips though, I appreciate it. Right now I'm holding off. I'm going to test my battery (just to be safe) and then test the socket that comes out of the bow. If I have power there, then it has to be between the cord and the motor. I think I'll just replace the tip like you suggested, and if that doesn't fix it I'll just save up and upgrade the Minn Kota next spring.
Zak

·
Registered
528 Posts
One other thing, did you also check the 50amp circuit breaker on the positive lead of the battery? Seeing if you have power at the bow outlet will tell you if that could be the culprit. I'm going to snap a picture of my plug and explanation for you when I get home from work tonight.

Also, here are some online manuals...

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page...;_schema=PORTAL

I think this is the one you need in case you dont have a manual.

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/pls/portal/...%20MANUAL_0.PDF

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 22 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One other thing, did you also check the 50amp circuit breaker on the positive lead of the battery? Seeing if you have power at the bow outlet will tell you if that could be the culprit. I'm going to snap a picture of my plug and explanation for you when I get home from work tonight.

Also, here are some online manuals...

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page...;_schema=PORTAL

I think this is the one you need in case you dont have a manual.

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/pls/portal/...%20MANUAL_0.PDF

Thanks bro!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thanks to Nitro225Optimax, the trolling motor is working again!! The circuit breaker between the battery and outlet just went bad. I had done some research and found the one I had was an autoreset circuit breaker, so I thought it had reset, but actually it went bad. Replaced it with a manual reset breaker and voila', power back to the motor. So... thanks again Nitro, I owe you a beer. Drop me a line and I'll try my new St Croix off your 225 and bring some brews!!! Thanks to everyone for the help, I would have been out $$$$ otherwise.

Zak

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.