Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
not 100% sure, but didnt the small boat have the right of way, from the video, the occupants were looking to their starboard side at another boat ....

and the CG is yelling at them, like they are gonna hear them?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
ok so why didnt the coastie shut down and then go after the guy and pull him over? alot less dangerous then takin a guy out just becasue you have the right of way.

·
Registered
921 Posts
"When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel"

I've seen that video before. The CG has some explaining to do whether their emergency lights were flashing or not.

tg.

·
Registered
354 Posts
looks like the coast guard skipped failed Boaters Saftey

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(troyguy @ Jul 1 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel"

I've seen that video before. The CG has some explaining to do whether their emergency lights were flashing or not.

tg.
Your right, if I was the driver of the boat that was hit I would be suing the Coast Guard.. He had the right away and even if he didn't the CG captain should have adjusted course or slowed down to avoid the collision. That CG captain should know the navigation rules inside and out and to blatantly hold course and speed like that just because he was on a rescue run was not an excuse for ignoring the Nav Rules.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
yup..the point I tried to make in another thread is that I stand down even if I have the right of way. OR whatever way is going to get us out of a jam safely. IMO Rules don't count when seconds matter.
In this case...it's so crazy that the coast guard didn't veer off...at least they were aware of an impending collision.
makes no sense what so ever.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 1 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I stand down even if I have the right of way. OR whatever way is going to get us out of a jam safely. IMO Rules don't count when seconds matter.
I think you meant "give way" instead of "stand down"...
Barring certain collision, I disagree with your tact here. If I'm the "give way" vessel, I rely on the other vessel to maintain course & speed so I can somewhat calculate where I'm going to go to get out of the way. In a non-busy area, I'm going to slow down, veer to the right and cut behind you, but we're coming up on a busy weekend. If people followed the rules, maybe we wouldn't have to wait until the last second to avoid a near-collision.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
QUOTE(PocketChange @ Jul 1 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's another one...

Bass Boat over Wake

Maybe you bass boat guys can enlighten me, but something seemed wrong with the
way that boat was tracking from the get go.

I believe its called "chine walking"
Overpowered, poorly trimmed, motor mounted too low, inexperienced operator, all of the above???

gt

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Seen that before too. Coasties messed up. I think they were pushing their weight as a CG boat thinking the other guy would move even though the other boat had the right away. By the time they were close enough to realize the guys werent stopping let alone see them it was too late. I mean for god sake, there was someone on the damn CG boat video taping the boat coming at them! Couldn't HE speak up???

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(gradytom @ Jul 1 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(PocketChange @ Jul 1 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's another one...

Bass Boat over Wake

Maybe you bass boat guys can enlighten me, but something seemed wrong with the
way that boat was tracking from the get go.

I believe its called "chine walking"
Overpowered, poorly trimmed, motor mounted too low, inexperienced operator, all of the above???

gt

Yep chine walking, not fun. I haven't been in a bass boat and had that happen, but I have been in a boat with a similar hull design and have experienced chine walk.
And yes could be any or all of the above.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jul 1 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 1 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I stand down even if I have the right of way. OR whatever way is going to get us out of a jam safely. IMO Rules don't count when seconds matter.
I think you meant "give way" instead of "stand down"...
Barring certain collision, I disagree with your tact here. If I'm the "give way" vessel, I rely on the other vessel to maintain course & speed so I can somewhat calculate where I'm going to go to get out of the way. In a non-busy area, I'm going to slow down, veer to the right and cut behind you, but we're coming up on a busy weekend. If people followed the rules, maybe we wouldn't have to wait until the last second to avoid a near-collision.

I get your point Christine, and thanks for the clarification in terms.
Bottom line for me is....don't expect the other guy to do anything right....
always be prepared for evasive action.
Rules are great...but there is no guarantee they will be followed, out of lack of knowledge, no desire...or even if vessel/captain is in distress. We can't always know whats going on on the other boat.
So, again, bottom line is get out of there safely.

·
Registered
716 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 1 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>not 100% sure, but didnt the small boat have the right of way, from the video, the occupants were looking to their starboard side at another boat ....

and the CG is yelling at them, like they are gonna hear them?

I agree,WTF

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Jul 1 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I'm not mistaken, that video is a year or more old... wonder what the outcome was?

Yeah - pretty sure it was posted here quite some time ago. Curious as to what happened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts