Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be getting my hands on a 2004 F-150 Supercrew. 2wd with the 5.4 engine and a 3.55 limited slip rear end. Wondering if anyone tows with a 2wd truck and how well it works on the ramps around LSC?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have had a 97, 98 and 01 F150 4x4 with the 3.55LS and 5.4l. I tow a 21' bass boat with no problems. I have only used 4x4 in when towing a couple of times at dirt ramps up north. I know it is not offered in the supercrew, but I hated the 4.6l.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
We've towed with our old '86 Ford F150 w/V6~jet boats, hauling trailer filled with junk and it handled it. and yes, it's 2 wh. drive

·
12,052 Posts
HUGE difference jet boat or trailer of junk and a good sized boat on a wet ramp. Depending on your combination the back tires might not have to get wet. Heck just powerload the sucker!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It depends on what your pulling and the type of ramp.....I had an `85 Chevy 3/4

ton p/u with 2wd and pulled my 4000 lb boat with no problem...even on stones

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I have a 2003 silverado 1500 2wd and use it to pull a Pipe puller (sprinkler equipment) pulls pretty nice but I never had to tow it more than 20 miles. My engine is smaller than the one you posted. how big of a boat do you want to tow. The pipe puller I pull around is around 2000 lbs on the trailer, and I do have a tow package on the truck. So far, so good but I don't think I would want to subject it to any thing much heavier.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(homebrew @ Dec 9 2003, 01:11 PM)Just don't get your rear wheels wet at the ramp.
Agreed. My best advice I can give you is to get the 4X4. It helps tremendously at the ramp. Especially if you are pulling a decent sized boat.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
He didn't say what he was trailering <_< I gave a wet and a dry scenareo......We've gotten the rear tires wet <_< Throw it in low

I bought 4X4 so we don't have to worry anymore

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your boat is very heavy (over 3500lbs) you will probably have problems getting up the ramp with
2wd. It seems like every time we go out there are
a couple 2wd pickups stuck on the ramp. This is at
Selfridge ramps.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(MrGoodwrench @ Dec 9 2003, 01:38 PM)If your boat is very heavy (over 3500lbs) you will probably have problems getting up the ramp with
2wd. It seems like every time we go out there are
a couple 2wd pickups stuck on the ramp. This is at
Selfridge ramps.

I see that at Selfridge everytime I am there. The 4X4 is definitely worth the xtra $$$$$ when your at the launch.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Depends on your size boat. I never had to use 4wd with my 23', which weighed around 6000 with boat & trialer. I also had to go deep with it sometimes, getting about a 1/3 of the rear tire in the water. However, I have a heavy duty 3/4 ton, which is a heavier truck than a 1/2 ton, and will perform better in 2wd. Without knowing your size boat, I cannot say for sure. But as long as you are not towing over capacity, you should not have a problem. Getting the tires wet is not usually a problem, it is the when the seaweed is at the docks. Just use common sense, such as using low gear if necessary, do not floor the gas and spin the tires, as this makes it worse, and try to avoid seaweed. If one dock does not look bad, and one is covered, you know which one to use. Also, two footed driving is useful. Sometimes it can be like trying to get a 2wd unstuck from the snow. Again, the weight of your boat will be critical. In addition, the type of trailer & boat style will make a difference. Some require you to go deeper than others. Rollers are easier than bunks, & you do not have to go as deep with rollers. The tires on the truck will also make a difference. Is this a new boat as well, or have you launched it and know what is necessary? Some things to consider. Good luck to you

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Everyone laughs when I go buy in my 1990 Dodge van towing my 377 yes 37 7 Scrabb behind it my gas tank weight about 2300 pounds it's 350 gallons yes 350.

I have pulled my boat out in 2 wheel with friends truck that are under warrenty but they are 250 series then hook my boat to my rusty trust van and off I go ask around your tung weight makes a huge difference.

Please explain what truck long beg short bed possie limited slip and what boat single axel double axel tripple axel.

My 1st boat was a 1977 slick craft 25 foot it had 150 gallon tank 350 with alpha drive I had a tandum axle trailor for a 32 foot boat I could lift the tung off the car with two hands, with boat on trailor. I pulled it around with a pont. sunbird hatch back that had 150,000 miles no problem.

The story is every case is different. give us details.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have a 1994 Dodge 1500 2WD truck. It has a 318 magnum (5.0L) with factory tow package.
I use it to tow my 28' Chaparral which weighes in at just under 5000 lbs.
I have no problems towing my boat or pulling it out at the ramp. I have never spun my tires on the ramp. I will admit that I won't win any raceses off the light when towing thou....

I'm always much more worried about my trailer when towing.

NoCode

·
Registered
294 Posts
That truck has an 8500 lb. towing capacity. The 4wd version is 300 lbs. less at 8200 lbs. Typically, you will find that the 4wd versions of most, if not all, trucks and SUVs have a 300 to 600 lb. lighter towing capacity. The main issue, as stated before will be how it performs on a wet ramp. The rule here is, the more tongue weight, the better. You want as much tongue weight as the truck can handle. You don't want the bumper rubbing the ground, but you want enough weight to feel it, probably in the 200-250 lb. range. This will improve traction, and you will find that the truck and trailer will go down the road considerably better. By increasing the tongue weight, you will eliminate trailer sway. If I didn't live on a rural dirt road with a 200 ft. , dirt driveway that doesn't get plowed in the winter, I would have no fear about towing my boat or travel trailer with a 2 wd vehicle instead of a 4wd. If you are not going to exceed the 8500 lb. capacity, go for it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Another thought. I would be sure to get a good set of wet traction tires, something with good, wide, water grooves. This will improve ramp traction big time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I tow my 22" Searay, about 5500 lbs. boat & trailer with a F-150 2wd 4.2 with towing package. I launch at Clinton River & Selfridge with no problem, have also towed it all the way up to Tawas and back with no problems. The only time I had any trouble was up north with low water levels and had to put the trailer in so far that the wheels went of the ramp. Had to add on to the ramp with rocks, then still just slowly pulled it out.

G

·
I put my truck in 4 wheel once this year at the ramp, otherwise it's always in 2 wheel. I only have problems when there's a lot of weeds on the ramp, and once or twice I had a little wheelspin. I have to put the back tires in the water every time at the Clinton river launch, 2500 Avalanche, 8.1L, 4.10 rear, and the boat is 8500#, trailer 2600#, full tank around 700#. I'm just under the 12000# towing limit.

Now I don't think I'd try this with a Ford though...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Dec 9 2003, 09:04 PM)I put my truck in 4 wheel once this year at the ramp, otherwise it's always in 2 wheel. I only have problems when there's a lot of weeds on the ramp, and once or twice I had a little wheelspin. I have to put the back tires in the water every time at the Clinton river launch, 2500 Avalanche, 8.1L, 4.10 rear, and the boat is 8500#, trailer 2600#, full tank around 700#. I'm just under the 12000# towing limit.

Now I don't think I'd try this with a Ford though...

so your saying,...you don't like ford?

·
Registered
455 Posts
We tow a 1981 260 SeaRay Sundancer with a 1989 GMC Vandura 2500HD with a 350c.i.

Boat and trailer weigh in at just under 9000#'s. Have never had a problem pulling up a ramp. In fact, at the end of the season this year we pulled it out at the DNR by Crocker & Jefferson. Steepest ramp i've ever seen!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts