Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current lake levels this probably is not an issue, but just curious if you still carry flood insurance?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am on the lake, and I dont have it, but it depends on what flood plane you live on which is established by the state or DNR or something. With flood plane's 1 & 2 your home mortgage company will require you carry flood insurance, Flood plane 3 does not required to carry it it per the mortgage company, which is what my flood plane is.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
1/4 mile from lake in New Baltimore and I am NOT required to have flood insurance!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Yes I do. Although my house was built above the flood plain. I can file a LOMA (letter of map amendment)package with the DNR to have them remove my property from the flood plain, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

You can also go to a surveyer and get an elevation certificate for the property in question. If it shows the elevation above the flood plain you can send a copy to your insurance company to reduce the rate you pay dramatically.

The elevation certificate is the first step towards the LOMA package...

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(afiremen @ Aug 6 2003, 07:59 PM)1/4 mile from lake in New Baltimore and I am NOT required to have flood insurance!

Beside we have ten years before the water level comes up

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If you are out of the flood plain and your property floods, you will qualify for federal assistence even without flood insurance.

If your in the flood plain and your house floods, you're screwed if you don't have flood insurance. That is why your mortgage company will insist on flood insurance if you are in the flood plain.

P.S. Flood insurance only covers the structure, not it's contents. If you want your belongings covered in the event of a flood, you have to expand your policy...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are moving into River Bend Park. I guess i'll wait and see what the mortgage company says.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
QUOTE(Mahn Grayvee @ Aug 6 2003, 09:17 PM)I used to live in a van down by the river, i didn't have flood insurance
But you made sure you were prepared by wearing your flood pants though, didn't ya?

G

·
QUOTE(TheWiz @ Aug 6 2003, 08:20 PM)QUOTE(Mahn Grayvee @ Aug 6 2003, 09:17 PM) I used to live in a van down by the river, i didn't have flood insurance
But you made sure you were prepared by wearing your flood pants though, didn't ya?
that and i slept with water wings on too

·
Registered
184 Posts
QUOTE(Tesch @ Aug 6 2003, 09:14 PM)We are moving into River Bend Park. I guess i'll wait and see what the mortgage company says.
Check the maps with the city or county. (I forget which). They tried to make us get flood insurance for our home because the property down by the lake was in the flood plane. The house itself is outside the flood plane. We protested and provided copies of the flood plane map and the location of the house on the map so they let us off the hook. Don't trust the mortage company to look out for your best interest on this.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(Tesch @ Aug 6 2003, 08:14 PM)We are moving into River Bend Park. I guess i'll wait and see what the mortgage company says.
I live in Riverbend and don't need flood insurance, but I am on the far side from the River.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can also check the online maps at FEMA at :

http://store.msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/store...10001&langId=-1

You use to be able to search and sea the maps online, the service might be down right now, I couldn't get into it. The city or county office will have the same maps and they would be able to let you see your properties flood zone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am in New Baltimore (murdicks) and am not required to have flood insuance. Plus I am 160' back from the lake.

Gregg

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Flood insurance is not that expensive, and you deserve all that happens to you and your home if you are in a flood plain and don't have the insurance.

I laugh at all those jokers along the Mississippi River that cry their tears when they get flooded out "oh my precious home, now what am I going to do?" You idiot, first don't live so close to the water, and if you do, buy flood insurance.

Then they laugh back at me cause my tax dollars are used to bail their sorry asses out. Too bad they didn't get swept down the river with their home, it's waht they deserve if they don't have insurance. (now I sound like snowmaker)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts