Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie at muskie fishing ,have found this obsessive passion. have tried every bit of advise from others who have said theyhave caught muskie, and read numerous books and articles . no luck,are they that hard to catch ? i was considering possibly going on a charter to learn ,anybody know a gooo one they can suggest? help !help!help!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
What do you want to learn how to catch them or how to troll for themLOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have tried both trolling and casting lures for them .really like trolling .hopefully with a name like yours you have experience in the field any suggestions would be well appreciated!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have caught a few hundred trolling but I've caught more and bigger fish while casting. You must be new to Muskie fishing because Most Muskie men and women know me. I landed my 1st Muskie in 1931 so I have been at it for awhile. Speed trolling is just a matter of time before a Muskie will take a bait. Just make sure your fishing where you see other boats trolling for them. At this time of the year I would not troll at six miles per hour but around three should be ideal now with the water temp. Casting to me is much more fun and you are catching the fish not the boat. To each his own. LOL

·
Registered
685 Posts
You should charter with Muskie Bob. Period. It's well worth the money, and you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
927 Posts
everyone knows that the best way to catch muskie is to fish in a bass tournament. i have never caught a muskie while actually fishing for muskie, but i always get a few on tubes, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits while fishing for smallies. go figure.

on a side note, i have never heard a muskie laugh, but i have seen a few smile

madman himself

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know Muskie Bob is a legend and all that , but I have to disagree with him on the fact that you can catch more and bigger fish casting then you can trolling . Fact, the largest confirmed muskie caught from the pond was caught last week by a troller, 40lbs. 11 oz. I myself have had a 17 fish day and know of many others that have caught many more then that for a single day's fishing while trolling. In 25 outings on my boat this year I have boated 115 muskie's . I'm not trying to knock casting for muskie's , Just passing on Info . I have casted a lot in the past for muskie but never on Lake St. Clair and we always considered it a good day if we at least had a follow . The past weekend my boat finished first place in the MOMC Oct. derby with a 34 pound 7 oz. fish after we took the fish to the scale we took her back out to the lake for a good release so someone else can have a thrill. Please remember catch , photo and release . Tight lines , Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Bob I did not say you can catch more Muskie casting I said I have caught more fish Casting then I have trolling. I didn't name myself a legend other writers did that. I have fished this lake for 75 years now and I know I can catch big Muskie casting. I am so happy for Bill that he was the first one one the club members to register a forty pounder. but that is not the first forty pound fish caught in Lake St Clair by any means. Look at Minics(spelling) fish it was a 44 pound fish in the Middle Channel. Catch a big one and turn it loose. Bob LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sorry , I miss read your reply. Can you tell me about Minics fish? I have heard stories but have never seen facts about it . Thanks in advance , Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for everyones input ,yes i am new to the muskie game spent about 30 hours trolling this year (first year )and hooked into something once , but learned real quick about having the right equipment lost $ 20.00 lure. but live and learn. anyways as to muskiebobsr if you do charters i would be seriously interested in some info about a charter ! again thanks for everyones input . cant wait to reel in a big muskie . and i do only practice catch and release .

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
No problem I thought you might have miss read it. I do that all the time and I write books. I guess you live in Ind. Or Ill. seeing as your an hour earlier then us. Believe it ir not Bob we have days we see thirty fish while casting on the lake. My best best day (8 hours) casting I landed 17 Muskie from 33 inches to 49 1/2 inches not a bad day. I know people that catch forty in day trolling. I quit trolling about thirty years ago Our lake is just so great it's hard to go any where else. My biggest Muskie was a 56 1/2 inch 27 inch girth in the Upper in 1974. It was really big. I have a forty five pounder mounted. so everything else goes back. For my clients I have a fifty five inch size limit. Of course there are exceptions. Hope to see you on the lake one of these days. good fishing. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Minics fish was on display at the marina on the middle channel. I saw it myself years ago when I was over there fishing the channel. We raised a forty pound class fish right in front of his docks that day. You can believe it Bob there are a few forties swimming around in the lake and I feel there could be bigger in the rivers and channels as they like running water. Good Fishing and let it go let it grow. Bob B

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bob , When I made my first comment I was talking about Lake St. Clair muskie fishing . I know that a lot of monsters have been caught fishing other locations while casting . I have heard about a fish that is at a local taxidermist right now that was netted off wapole Is. that went 42.5 lbs . And a few years ago there was a story in the paper about a big fish taken of her spawning bed by a fly fisherman . I would like to think that theres a forty with my name on it out there . Was Minics fish weighted on certified scales ? The 34lbs. 7 oz. fish we caught on Sunday was spitting up shad while we were removing the hooks from her . We caught her in the same general area that Bill caught his 40 lber. There are a lot of shad in that area and I think that some of the river muskie are following the shad from the river to the lake . These shad provide more protein and fat for the muskie . Our fish was only 49 3/4" long and I think Bills was only 50 3/4" . By the way I live in southest Mi. and spent most of my life here . (the fishing is to good to live anywere else
)Tight lines , Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Bob In 1947 there was a certified Muskie taken in Anchor Bay at 48 pounds and 10 ounces and somewhere I know there is a photo of it in my archives and I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it. It was a very fat fish and a little over 51 inches. The fellow that caught it was from Clawson and I think his name was Cliff something or other. He was a big guy and even the fish looked big with him holding it. It was a real old fish. You know of course that they took Havers fish out of the record books. That fish was posted at 62 1/2 pounds from 1940 until 1947 as the world record. I'm sure over the years there have been some big fish caught that we never hear of. I don't know if minics fish was certified or not but it is big and the sige said 44 pounds 11 ounces if I remember right. Bob LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was renting a boat from minic the day that his son caught that big musky that they had (or still have) on display inside, while telling me about the battle with the
fish & showing me what he caught it on (he caught it just north of minics marina) he also showed me a smaller muskie that he caught in the same area (only about 33 or 34 lbs)
Later that day after my partner had been hooked with a big#4 treble hook on a flatfish,
(picture a 25" tiger muskie jumping around on one end of the lure and my buddys thumb on the other)
the hook was in deep and old man minic showed us how to unhook yourself, first he grabed the flatfish and shook it (and my friends thumb ) up & down, after seeing the look in my friends eyes he said "thats just to numb it up"
then he pushed the hook all the way through his thumb, cut off the barb, and slid it back out! OUCH
I will never forget those muskies or the lesson in hook removal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts