Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and lake saint clair. New boat this year. Question to you folks is this, Is there places on the lake I can anchor and let the kids out for some swimming, they are younger 8 and 5.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
WELCOME!! id say strawberry island ..i see a lot of familys out there. or the tot lot at the muscmoot. or in front of mac n rays. GULL? wouldnt recomend for little kids.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bobrob. The wife and kids are very excited about this summer As well as my buddies, they have been trying to talk me into a certian weekend in June.

I will have to check out strawberry island. what exactly is the totlot at muscmoot?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Welcome to the site and also the lake dieguy. The totlot is a group of boaters from this site with kids. They meet up in Muscamoot bay during the summer. They raft off and have a family safe party. Muscamoot is the biggest "party' spot on the lake. That's were you'll fine the largest amount of boats. But keep in mind that this is not something for kids. The totlot gang positions itself to minimize the exposure to the kids while still offering a chance for the adults to make the trip over to the adult section. Of course this is done by one parent while the other stays and watches the kids.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i know of a romantic spot!

it's in the canadian waters....it's near wahpool (ok, so i don't know how to spell!!!!) island.....not in the channel, but in the lake....water is about 3 - 4 ft deep. crystal clear! and usually no boats around so clothes are an option!

boy, do i miss that spot!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hi dieguy, Welcome to LSCN.

We too have little ones. Our son, David, is 8 and our daughter, Erin , is 5. Strawberry island is great as well as out in front of Mac 'n Rays. We have also stopped and played at the sand bar as well as at Gull. If you go to Gull, you have to judge the crowd yourself as it can vary from families with kids to those who have lost all common sense. As long as you dont hit Gull on an organized weekend, it is a fair shot. The other place we like to go is on the south channel side of Seaway Island. Nice beach, good campfires, kids love watching the freighters go by so close (make sure you have a good anchor as water levels can vary by as much as 3' when they pass) and then they do a little surfing as the water rushes back in. Just remember you are on Canadian soil and techincally need all the proper papers, yet we have not been bothered in all the trips we have taken.

Where do you keep your boat? Be nice to hook up on the water and introduce the kids to each other. Not to mention the adults as well.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If you keep your boat toward the north ened of the lake, you can bring kids up to what most still call Munchies Bay on the Northeast side of Bouvier Bay. It's a little indentation out in front of what used to be called Munchies restaurant, now named Brisbay. It's just to the south of the Sandbar restaurant.

The crowd there includes alot of families and old farts like me who don't want to hear loud music or be crowded by drunken aholes. The bottom is excellent sand and you can walk around and catch a fish or two around there. Water temp was 63 last weekend, not back, and gets to the low 70's during the heat of summer.

Have fun. A day just goofing off on the lake is the greatest!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jun 8 2004, 02:54 PM)Hi dieguy, Welcome to LSCN.

,we like to go is on the south channel side of Seaway Island. Nice beach, good campfires, kids love watching the freighters go by so close (make sure you have a good anchor as water levels can vary by as much as 3' when they pass) and then they do a little surfing as the mention the adults as well.
Man i remember first time i went there, scheew thats not a over statement about the 3 feet. I thought the guys on the island were being over protective, when they were telling me how to anchor and stand on it when a freighter came though. when the water rushed back in it tossed my 24 ft boat around like a toy boat in a bath tub..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks everyone for all the inputs!! I am going to have to check my maps for that special romantic spot

Although how private would it be now??? ah well I will just keep smiling IN case i end up on the internet somewhere

Thanks again everyone for your help!!!
Jim

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Welcome to the board and to the lake Dieguy. As a member with a little one of my own (5 year old boy) and one on the way, we'll be spending a lot of time again this year with the Tot Lot gang. Good people! Just check the board before you head out or hail "LSCN Tot Lot" on the VHF on 69. One of us will pick you up and let you know where exactly we're at.

Hope to see you out on the lake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
QUOTE(delsolcruz @ Jun 8 2004, 12:39 PM)i know of a romantic spot!

it's in the canadian waters....it's near wahpool (ok, so i don't know how to spell!!!!) island.....not in the channel, but in the lake....water is about 3 - 4 ft deep. crystal clear! and usually no boats around so clothes are an option!

boy, do i miss that spot!
Do you have the coordinates? Make it easier for those of us not real familial with the lake.

Thanks!

G

·
I don't know if this is the place Julie is referring to, but we went to Bassett Is. a couple of years ago. We would always see boats off in the distance from the beach at Seaway and headed over one time to meet some friends there. On the chart, it's directly south of Seaway Island where the depth contour line goes from 10' to 1'. I'll ballpark the coordinates as 42 30.5 N, 82 37.5 W. The water was crystal clear (a nice change from Muscamoot) and the bottom was sand. You need to look at the chart because you can't just take a straight line to it from the tip of seaway and slow down well before you get to the contour line. It literally goes from 10' to 1' in maybe 20 feet. If you run up to it on plane, you will be beached before you can pull the throttles back. Very nice laid back spot. There isn't much rafting because people just anchor along the dropoff.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
She was probably in Basset Bay, on the lake...Canadian waters...no drinking w/o the cabin/sleeping quarters/head and checking in with customs.

I miss the days of being able to anchor over there w/o the hassle. Was always nice and quiet when ya needed it.

·
"Commodore of the ToT LoT"
2,809 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Jun 8 2004, 12:38 PM)Welcome to the site and also the lake dieguy. The totlot is a group of boaters from this site with kids. They meet up in Muscamoot bay during the summer. They raft off and have a family safe party. Muscamoot is the biggest "party' spot on the lake. That's were you'll fine the largest amount of boats. But keep in mind that this is not something for kids. The totlot gang positions itself to minimize the exposure to the kids while still offering a chance for the adults to make the trip over to the adult section. Of course this is done by one parent while the other stays and watches the kids.

Thanks for the Intro Rerun!!!
The Tot Lot welcomes all!!
Just like Campari stated.....Just give us a shout on 69!!!!

XO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts