Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
launched at St. Jean last night to do some handlining. over the last 3 years, we probably launched outta there a good 100 times. well, i guess my luck ran out.

got back to the launch last night, and went to my truck. funny, i didn't remember parking on glass.....oh....i didn't. it was the glass from my window. f'n idiots broke my window, and stole all of my stuff. i had music, ps2 games, and gear ripped from me. these benevolent mf's even took a couple Dave & buster's cards (with about $4 of gameplay on them) and a garden hose sprayer. a$$holes!!!!!!

it looked like everybody else got broken into as well. my buddy had his long range walkie talkies stolen. but he was smart enough to leave his doors unlocked, so no glass breakage.

what a drag. looks like i am done with the wire for a while. time to get back to the lake, and use an actual fishing pole.

i can now truly empathize with all of you who posted similar stories recently.

oh yeah..... 3 hours, 12 walleye, black and silver rapalas, as usual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I am sure many of you know, Harbor Hill Marina operates the St. Jean Boat Launch for the City of Detroit. We want you to know that we are currently trying to clean up and improve the ramp for everyone's benefit.

We are working on getting the light poles and building repainted, upgrading the docks and cleats, reinforcing the fence, adding additional signage and another attendant.

Based on the recent activity, including last night's incident, we have been considering augmenting an attendant from 9 pm to 1 am. This would provide attendance from 5 am to 1 am. Gates will be locked at 1 am. We would like to know what you think of this before we implement it, but please keep in mind that if you were locked in, you would not be able to get out until 5 a.m. when the attendant returned or when a roving guard from Harbor Hill Marina Property can open the gate.

Be advised that from 9 pm to 1 am all launches will be $7.00 per launch.

Please leave a message here as to what you think or e-mail us at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Thank you for joining and posting!

I think it would be a good idea to add another attendent to the schedule. Another couple of bucks for peace of mind during the evening while fishing is a small price to pay.

One question, since you have a roving gaurd, AND if I were locked in the gate, could you set up a line of communication to call that guard to open the gate to met me out? (a cell phone number or a pager would suffice).

Just wondering...

Mini

PS Tdub, sorry about your loss, I know the feeling. It has happened to me too many times. Not at that launch but the broken glass in the lot tells me something. The fact that the company that runs it posted here with proposed improvements tells me something even better!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would more than welcome a night guard, as I am sure the others who have gotten burned would also. we typically launch by 7, but sometimes don't get off the water till 12 (like last friday when we killed em!). it would be great knowing that when we are pulling back in that i would no longer have those queasy feelings i always get, hoping that my truck is still there. as i said before, that is the first time in about 100 launches, but it still stings.

if my hazy, 32 year old memory is correct, wasn't there a night guard always on patrol years ago? i first started handlining about 18 years ago with my uncle, and i swear that there was always someone there.

well, hopefully insurance will cover my losses. $137 for the window outta pocket, and about 2 grand of stuff gone, hopefully to be covered by homeowners.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Will the guard be allowed to shoot the intruders? Couple of good news stories about some vagrant lying in his own blood and feces should end the break-ins. I know a guy who had his suburban broken into there, as well as another guy who has his trailer stolen.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
DR P, is that really you? Or did someone steal your identity? Pretty violent for a Canuck. You don't even have guns over there, do you?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
We don't have the right to protect ourselves over here, the government will do it for us. Yeah right.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
We would like to thank all of you for your input and suggestions concerning the St. Jean Boat Ramp. Please continue to e-mail us at, [email protected], or post your suggestions and concerns here as they come up, because we will be checking daily. In addition, we will continue to post updates on the progress of the St. Jean improvements as they are made. Thank you again.

Harbor Hill Marina

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two weeks ago when I launched at St. Jean,
I was quite suprised to be charged $ 6.00 to
use the ramp. Then the bathrooms were locked.
$6.00 wouldn't be so bad if there was a guard
and the restrooms were open to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts