Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been hanging out over in front of artvans house lately...was there all day today. it has a great sandy bottom and is great depth...reminds me of the moot minus all the retards....though i do love the moot. just wondering if anyone ever hangs there...its very close to my marina so i think i may be heading there more often to save on gas.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its just south of the nautical mile. definitly a quieter alternative to the moot and great on gas if u dock in one of the nautical mile marinas....plus u get to stare at huge houses that you will prob never will own.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Can you point this out on a map for us SLOW people.......

PLEASE...................................Thank you.......

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE(chewy62 @ Jul 10 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you point this out on a map for us SLOW people.......

PLEASE...................................Thank you.......

it is just north of the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club. I dont know how to post charts, but take a look at

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

its about 42d 26m north, at about 8 mile.

i like it too, its a great spot to hang and swim. we keep our boat in the detroit river, so its closer than the spots across the lake, and i dont have a nexus card for Peche Island.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
We hang out there often too. Great place when the wind is blowing from the west. Here's the Art Van house on the left.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I've been by there but I don't know how to get in. Isn't there a big rock around there that eats the props of unsuspecting, inexeperienced visitors?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
We used to hang there when the boat was in the SCS city wells. Haven't been there in years; tubed and skied there when the kids were growing up.

I remember the sandy bottom, water was usually pretty calm. If this many LSCNers are floating there I'll come check it out.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yes it is a great shallow spot with a nice sandy bottom. It's usually calm there when the wind is blowing from the west. Here's a picture of the Art Van house on the left from Sunday. Sorry for the blurry picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sleeper, I think you are referring to Fords Cove. That is at the north end of this area and you are right, if you don't know your way in you can have a big expensive problem. The area we are referring to is immediatly north of GPYC. As everyone else says, great hard bottom and depth comes up very fast from 10+ to about 3 or 4 feet so you don't have to idle forever like at Strawberry. So far it is very family friendly. Only thing hard to do is raft off. Unless you have a west wind the bounce is a little too much.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Sounds like a good place for us to check out as well. Not sure I can go into LSC without crossing it, but it's worth a try!

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jul 10 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been by there but I don't know how to get in. Isn't there a big rock around there that eats the props of unsuspecting, inexeperienced visitors?

Yes. I got bit by it a few years ago. I'm at Miller Marina and the rock you speak of is in line with the point coming out of Miller. When I go in, I pretty much do an exaggerated crescent shape into the bay, to avoid that rock. Keep about 400-500 yards from the point and you'll be really safe. You could probably stay a bit tighter but I like to play it safe. I know my marina neighbor hit that rock last year. And another buddy of mine had the worst luck by hitting it. Totally wrecked his prop and outdrive.

We go there often when time is key. It takes us literally 5 minutes from the marina and the water is clear, bottom is sandy, and it is nice and shallow. Sometimes it gets a bit rough, as there is nothing to shelter the waves and wind. But all in all, a very nice place to be.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Art vans is always nice, but for swimming the water tends to be a little cooler, and if any wind picks up it tends to give you some waves since theres not much protection. I recall naping there a few times :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 10 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is this where the rocks are?

View attachment 63704

yep...its marked on my GPS right there.....just stay clear of that obviously and you should be fine....great place to hang out. though true about rafting up....its kinda hard to do unless u have a west wind...but even with a little wind the waves arent to bad...we usually star our boats off. i sat there from 12-630p on thurs soaking up the sun! think i might stop by today as well

1 - 20 of 26 Posts