Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
ok, i havent been fishing clair very long. actually, since august of last year. but from what i have heard, and i have no evidence to back this, zebra mussels are responsible for cleaning up lake st clair (water clarity) and in turn, responsible for the rise in the smallmouth population.

any truth to this. it makes sense to me, but what do i know.

madman himself

·
Registered
397 Posts
Madman, it stated at the bottom of the article that Zebra mussels do indeed filter and clean the water.

Like yourself, I'm new to this area and have no idea what St. Clair or Erie was like before the mussles arrived. I just hear that the lakes were dirty and now they're clean. Sounds good to me.

Then came the gobies.....Another big threat, right? Turns out the smallies love'em and are fatter than ever. Now we have clean water and good natural forage. Sounds good to me.

People get all excited about these things and begin to panic. In the end, Mother Nature will take care of herself. The worse thing to happen to this planet is HUMANS. And when she has had enough, Mother Nature will take care of us too.

So I say let the Asian Carp into the great lakes. 4' long, 100lbs and hungry, sounds good to me. As long as Mother Nature will let me stick around, I'll take an 8' rod, 50lb line and HANG ON FOR THE RIDE!!!!

Marke

·
Registered
927 Posts
whoa, stop it mark, your scaring me.

mother nature wont take care of us, she is a mother, and there is no love like a mothers love. think happy thoughts!

besides, nuclear war will take care of us humans. or aliens, which ever comes first

madman himself

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Madman, there is no doubt zebra mussels have contributed to the smallmouth boom in Clair and Erie. But some will also blame the clearer water for the reduction in walleye populations.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They are still here in AB, doing a great job keeping the water clean.

But they are also very, very sharp, be careful when swimming/jumping off sea walls, my daughter had to get 21 sticthes, when she scrapped her leg over a colony of zebra mussels!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts