Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own some property up north with a pond with a stream feeding it. It has no structure to hold fish (weeds, fallen trees, etc). Last year I had the idea to create some structure to hold fish. I thought about sinking some trees or concrete blocks etc. While this would probably work, it would also just be structure that was a snagfest! I thought what good is structure if you cannot fish it? I got creative and decided to devise a "contraption" that would hopefully accomplish my goal of attracting fish but be snag resistant. The end result was a plastic base about 3' x 2' x 1' tall and I put small holes in it to hold the smaller fish and attract the big fish. On top of the base was shorter plastic grass (similar to that found in an aquarium), with longer grass 3-4 feet long around the edges. I had all summer to test this out and I caught literally 10 times the number of fish as compared to the prior summer. I also wanted to see it in action and took my fish finder out and sure enough it had quite a few fish around it. I cast to it every time up this summer (with treble hooks) and never got one snag. I showed it to a few friends and they said I should consider marketing it. I am planning on making a few more for next year to place in a group next year. My questions are:

1) Would this kind of "structure" be allowed in public lakes and resevoirs. It is mainly all plastic except for the rocks in the base to hold it down and should last a long time. I pulled it out this fall and it was still in perfect condition. I would appreciate any input from the DNR folks on this one! They could be removed if necessary each year but I still need to perfect the removal method.

2) Would this be something that would be of interest for folks that live on, or fish various lakes to perhaps create their own secret spots to hold fish where there was previously no structure. Or am I just "all wet!"

3) If I were to market these, the price due to the time and cost of materials would have to be around $100. I think to be most effective a grouping of these would be best so say an average purchase of 3 for $300. Would this price be in line for most folks?

4) Anyone have any input on what might be done to improve the design to make it more effective?

Thanks for reading and I really value your input!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey Drew9,
My buddy lives on a private lake up North. Him and a neighbor have about 120 acres between them with about a 15 acre lake in the middle of it. Years ago someone made a 2" PVC fish habitat and dropped it in.

It was 10 feet wide by about 20 feet long. it looked like a cage about 3 feet tall with uprights and horizontal cross members about 18 inches on center. It is weighted down with cement blocks in about 20 FOW. We have gone in with masks on and swam down to see it, the fish just love the thing, Bass, Perch, Bluegills.

There are a few Pike that they let keep living in the lake, and they seem to stay to the outside and catch an occasional wanderer. It is snagless with some holes drilled into the PVC pipe so it filled with water. It has weeds and barnacles on it, and is almost green so it blends right in.

You got a good idea, but there are different things tried and done.
As far as on a public lake, you would probably need permits and approval from the DNR, EPA, Army Corps of Engineers, and so on, or face a polluting citation to say the least, so I don't know if it is a feasible idea to mass produce. But maybe on a small hobby scale you could do it for private ponds?

I'd be willing to be a free tester of your unit though
for my pond I had dug last year.
Snap a pic of it if you pull it out for anything and post it.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
im not dead positive but i believe that would be considered dumping garbage in the lake. id check with the dnr for a positive answer on that. but anyone with a private pond/lake could use it. like i said i believe your not allowed to dump anything in public water, thats why a shanty left on the ice has to have the owners name on it so if they dont get it off the ice they know whos liable for the removal bill

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Agreed. In most states, any kind of "deposit" into a public water way is usually only carried out by the DNR, if then. Alot of waterways there is ZERO allowed, even by the state.

But for private ponds and such, I could see it. But I don't even think you'd have to get that carried away. To a fish, plastic weeds look just like plastic whatever... You ever see those Bill Dance structure ball things? They're just pointy things you throw in the water. If a fish will hang out around a tire rim on the bottom, they're not too particular. Some species do prefer rock or wood, but until you start to provide actual rock or wood, I'd not sweat the realism too much. Maybe paint it green or something, but that'd be about it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool idea Propwash. I never even considered PVC. My pond is not that deep but still a good option. I would like to dive down maybe next year but the water since it is stream fed it does not get very warm. I might try a camera as I would like to see how well the holes in the base work and if they hold the small fish. Keep the comments coming as they are helpful!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
There are MANY on the market already. Without a "gimmick" or "hook" I dont see how one could be any more viable than the other unless there is something that truely makes your product superior.....thats up to you to find out.

As for using them on public waterways.....it is done ALOT down south in reservoirs (sp?) but I do think there are permits involved (to do it legally). With St Clair being an international waterway, I dont think it would be worth the costs of permits to do so. Besides, once you placed it and fish it for a while, someone else is going to take advantage of your hard work and either tell everyone about it or move it on you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If the fish are hanging around it sounds like you've got it. On the other hand, in my experience unless you're in pursuit of a run, something which is snaggy is going to hold more fish. No weeds, logs, rocks, or something to contend with usually means fishing which is poor or worse.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I researched this a month ago, i wanted to sink some structure that i could icefish later. If i remember correctly, you have to get authorization from the DNR or Corp of Engineers to place attractors in public waters. With this in mind, the only clientel you would have are private water owners, and the occasional project authorized by the DNR/COE. On top of that, Bill Dance and Roland Martin both sponsor fish attractors. Not saying you couldnt try it, but i wouldnt recommend it, especially with this economy. I would just make a couple more for your pond, and go fishing.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(mwizniki @ Oct 26 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the fish are hanging around it sounds like you've got it. On the other hand, in my experience unless you're in pursuit of a run, something which is snaggy is going to hold more fish. No weeds, logs, rocks, or something to contend with usually means fishing which is poor or worse.

you must never fish the clay beds on the south shore. flat and featureless but some great fishing almost all season long

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Oct 28 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(mwizniki @ Oct 26 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the fish are hanging around it sounds like you've got it. On the other hand, in my experience unless you're in pursuit of a run, something which is snaggy is going to hold more fish. No weeds, logs, rocks, or something to contend with usually means fishing which is poor or worse.

you must never fish the clay beds on the south shore. flat and featureless but some great fishing almost all season long

Yes, I have as well as the Mile Roads which are similar. My pond does have fish but they were spread all over. I firmly believe the structure made them "want to hang out together" and it certainly made my success much better. For those ice fisherman, I did find an article from Ohio that makes for some easy structure. Drill a hole in the bottom of a Christmas tree and tie it around a cinder block. Take them out on the ice and when the ice melts they will sink and create some nice structure. Not sure if it is appropriate for LSC but a cool idea where you don't have to drag them out in your boat. They recommended running them in a row I did also check out the Bill Dance structure and it is nice as well. Certainly easier but I think mine offers some additional benefits as well such as the hideout in the base for smaller fish. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE(drew9 @ Oct 24 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I own some property up north with a pond with a stream feeding it. It has no structure to hold fish (weeds, fallen trees, etc). Last year I had the idea to create some structure to hold fish. I thought about sinking some trees or concrete blocks etc. While this would probably work, it would also just be structure that was a snagfest! I thought what good is structure if you cannot fish it? I got creative and decided to devise a "contraption" that would hopefully accomplish my goal of attracting fish but be snag resistant. The end result was a plastic base about 3' x 2' x 1' tall and I put small holes in it to hold the smaller fish and attract the big fish. On top of the base was shorter plastic grass (similar to that found in an aquarium), with longer grass 3-4 feet long around the edges. I had all summer to test this out and I caught literally 10 times the number of fish as compared to the prior summer. I also wanted to see it in action and took my fish finder out and sure enough it had quite a few fish around it. I cast to it every time up this summer (with treble hooks) and never got one snag. I showed it to a few friends and they said I should consider marketing it. I am planning on making a few more for next year to place in a group next year. My questions are:

1) Would this kind of "structure" be allowed in public lakes and resevoirs. It is mainly all plastic except for the rocks in the base to hold it down and should last a long time. I pulled it out this fall and it was still in perfect condition. I would appreciate any input from the DNR folks on this one! They could be removed if necessary each year but I still need to perfect the removal method.

2) Would this be something that would be of interest for folks that live on, or fish various lakes to perhaps create their own secret spots to hold fish where there was previously no structure. Or am I just "all wet!"

3) If I were to market these, the price due to the time and cost of materials would have to be around $100. I think to be most effective a grouping of these would be best so say an average purchase of 3 for $300. Would this price be in line for most folks?

4) Anyone have any input on what might be done to improve the design to make it more effective?

Thanks for reading and I really value your input!

Hey guys, take a look at the artificial fish habitat called Fishiding. They have three sizes of habitat made from reclaimed pvc which grows algae and creates shade. They all are self weighted and you bend them open onsite.******* is the site and they cost less than all the others. Let me know what you guys think. Talked to a bunch of different guys that said they hold fish like crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
can't dump your junk in the LSC... DNR will run your *** up a pole if they catch you. I researched it awhile back and talked to them. I would do it in your own pond for sure. Makes a nice little food chain magnet.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
come on now mini, has anyone ever moved in on while fishing this great fishery we call st. clair? tisk tisk, cant believe your giving false information! hahahahhaha.

Mini's dead right, you'll have someone take advantage of your hard work and your spot will be a comunity hole in no time.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(RipNLips @ Dec 16 2010, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>come on now mini, has anyone ever moved in on while fishing this great fishery we call st. clair? tisk tisk, cant believe your giving false information! hahahahhaha.

Mini's dead right, you'll have someone take advantage of your hard work and your spot will be a comunity hole in no time.

Me? NEVER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.