Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Divers up in Port Huron say they are seeing the Asian Carp around the Blue Water Bridge. They are saying the eyes are down on there cheeks? I guess that they look different than other fish? The guy says the last couple of dives he is seeing them? I told him to take a spear gun down there and shoot one for the DNR.

I wouldn't want to hit one going over 70 MPH in my bass boat....Bugs are bad enough...LOL

ToddS

·
Registered
303 Posts
All news reports and DNR reports say they have not made it into the great lakes yet. But they are saying that with a good flood them damn things will make it over that electric fence they built. I really hope that the diver dont know what hes talking about!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I do believe there have been reports (unconfirmed) of them in Lake Erie in years past. If they are in Huron and the river it wont be long until they are reporducing and then we are all screwed. It might be reason enough to move south.

Lets hope not

·
Registered
654 Posts
they are here, and here to stay. too little to late. gotta love our politicians.. Michigan will be know as the great lakes fertilizer state . hey, a new industry for granholm. ol jenny sure has blown us away

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
I know it takes forever to get things confirmed, with the lack of DNR funding by our "head of the state".
But without true biological conformation, I don't want to believe it, and won't. There are 70" Muskies and 100# brown trout out there too!!!! Right next to nessy. Wait and see, thats all I will do.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Lets wait to hear confirmation from a reliable source before the panic button is pushed.

h2o

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
I agree that the divers need to spear one of these fish and turn it in to the DNR so they can identify it. Someone from the DNR spoke up in a previous thread concerning the prescence of Asian carp in the SCR and they were emphatic in stating it wasn't true.

Yeah, let's hope not.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, where the barrier is being constructed, connects the Mississippi River to the Great Lakes via the Illinois River. Recent monitoring shows the carp to be in the Illinois River within 50 miles of Lake Michigan. i say fill it in seeing its man made and has a few locks. shut the locks and let it go dry. but sadly commerce will win and well eventually get the asian carp, hopefully after im gone and no longer fish this great resource

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hope the divers are wrong about what they saw. Spearing or photographing one sounds like a great idea, like the sturgeon spawn pics under the Bluewater bridge this spring. If I was a diver I'd be getting an underwater camera for this story!

·
3,236 Posts
I hope they are wrong as well. But nobody believed the folks who sighted wild pigs and cougars in Michigan before the DNR confirmed it. Those sightings started years before the DNR confirmed anything as well.
Lets not forget that people felt the same way about zebra mussels and gobies yet we are still all posting reports of catching fish in a system that has them now. Will they have an impact and make some changes....yes. Will it be the end of the world for the great lakes....probably not.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
im not a biologist but every hunting show i have seen when they are guiding bowfisherman on the illinois river the asian carp jump everywhere from the propwash and if they were here already wouldnt they have to make it all the way through lake michigan and huron undetected and if that was the case wouldnt there be a strong population in lake michigan then and be jumping everywhere

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I think we've been through this before. I'm not a Granholm advocate by any means, but how do you blame her? The most she could do is block off michigan borders to these things. That ought to keep the whole state working making nets for lakes michigan,huron ,st.clair, and our side of lake erie. Not to mention detroit and st.clair rivers.
The only way you are going to do away with them is to kill them off. From Michigan to all point south. And the Mississipi and all of it's tributaries.
Try explaining that to all of those cash strapped states.
My guess, is somehow the u.s.army corp of engineers, will be asked or already have been , to divise a plan to kill off whats in the ill. sanitary canal abd back up the shock barriers to a spot farther away from lake lake mich. to buy time.
Bottom line is, IT'S A TICKING TIME BOMB. Enjoy the lakes fishing while you can

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.