1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm a bit confused...anyone out there know what is FACT? For example in the articles provided:

The GLFC stated: "Asian carp are a significant threat to the Great Lakes because of their size, fecundity, and ability to consume large amounts of food. Asian carp can grow to 100 pounds and up to four feet. They are well-suited to the cold water climate of the Great Lakes region, which is similar to their native Eastern Hemisphere habitats."

The CBC article states: "Finding out if there are more bighead carp in Lake Erie may be a matter of waiting. Noakes says the fish are not well-adapted to cold, and the low temperatures in the lake over the winter will likely kill any that may be there."
Noakes is a fish biologist at the University of Guelph in Canada.

So are Asian Carp well-suited to the Great Lakes or not?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess we will have to do a wait and see on that. I've also heard that the Great Lake water is much too clear to have the plankton available to make the Great Lakes a giant "carp pond". Don't forget the paddlefish never made it in the Great Lakes either and it is a filter feeder the same way as these asian carp are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess there is an Asian tradition that is practiced in Toronto where you buy 2 carp(alive) from the market and you cut one up and eat and let the other one live, as in release it into Lake Ontario. They think that is how the ones in Erie/Ontario got their start. Someone(can't remember where I read it) thinks the last winter killed them off because of the lack of sightings this year. Has anyone heard of any sightings on LSC?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts