Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have been posting this message in all forums that I am a member of, and also signing up in new ones to post this same message. It is the most important message we will ever have, to pass on in our lifetimes. Our word will forever change if we don't fight!!!

Yes this is another "Asian Carp" thread. Yes, it is our job as members of the Michigan Sportsman to read and sign every single petition we hear of, to close the Chicago Chicago Sanitary/Shipping Canal. This is the only thing we can do!!! I have grown up fishing. I was never involved in hockey, football, baseball, or soccer. While other kids were at arena's and stadiums, I was on the water catching walters. If we do nothing, than we leave a world that our children will never know or understand. This is no joke people!!! It gets more real every single day that goes by and that canal is wide open!!! Last I checked (which was about 3 years ago) We have over 23,000 Michigan Sportsman members. Those are numbers that can make a real difference! I am sure that those number are even higher now. We must band together with clubs and websites form other states and provinces in Canada to convince the US government that this is a matter of not only not just financial and sport fishing. But these fish will destroy the Great lakes for our children, and their children! I know that everyone is hoping that this mess will go away by itself, but it won't. And sitting back on your asses will not do anything. We are all outdoorsman. We all love fishing and hunting. These fish will change everything we know within 10 to 15 years time. The time is now. Stand up for what you believe in! Do whatever you can. Contact your representative in government. Sign as many petitions as you can get your hands on! This is a very real problem people. And it is knocking on our front door. I truly hope that all the members here will not just dismiss this as a "rant" or some kind of "hype". This is our children's future if we let government and "big buisness" win, where we do stand. We will lose if we do nothing! PLEASE do your part!!!

Here is another petition...
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...igan/sign.html

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Game Over

It's to late.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
They don't want to do anything,why one ask's? It's to late to<---answer.

It might not be as bad as we think.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Hi Derek good to hear from you but it's to late. I don't want to sound against your gig bro, but the damage is done as far as my mind thinks. Look at all the red dots past the barrier on the map. They just might be good forage for Salmon and Trout. Also other fish. What's the next species to hit the lakes? Just think of the species we spread through out the world also. I'll sign petitions giving support forshore. I just think it's hopeless.

h2o<----says YES I GOT MILK lol

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(cast n blast @ Jan 23 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey castmaster Im curious if Canadas being petitioned by you guys to do something since Canada has just as much to lose ?
I surprised Canadas not filing a suit to close the damn thing off.

I believe that they are. But the success rate of telling the US what to do, has never been very high in any matter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
QUOTE(CASTMASTER 5000 @ Jan 23 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been posting this message in all forums that I am a member of, and also signing up in new ones to post this same message. It is the most important message we will ever have, to pass on in our lifetimes. Our word will forever change if we don't fight!!!

I really don't think Michigan has anything to worry about. President Obama has agreed to sit with the Great lakes Governors of Michigan and Wisconsin in February in order to determine what is best for Illinois, his home state.......

With that being said, which state has the most to offer the current presidency? Illinois, the home-boy state or Michigan and Wisconsin?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have signed every petition I have found to stop these carp, they have know they were moving towards the great lakes and of course nothing was done, now there so close, everybody is worried, typical senerio for our US Goverment, wait till its to late,you should post this in the boathouse also, this not only affect fisherman but pleasure boaters as well, their is a thread there but its on the bottom of the page, more important topics like marriage and summer pictures

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since big business is what is keeping the canal open, maybe big business can help to close it? As we all know, Bass Pro Shop has a lot to lose if the fishing industry goes south here in the great lakes. Here is an e-mail I fired off to them a few minutes ago. I'm sure that they have a lot more to lose than the average Joe. I encourage everyone to do all that they can! I am truly frightened about this! I have a new kid coming into this world this summer and I would love to teach them the ways I've grown up with. If these fish take over, I will fish no longer. Please do all you can! Call everyone! Contact everyone! E-mail everyone!!!!!!!! Here is the e-mail.....

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was wondering what BPS was doing to influence the US government to close the Chicago shipping canal? It will most definately mean that most/all of your stores surrounding the great lakes will close if the Asian Carp get past the electronic barrier that is in place. Once the carp get into lake Michigan in significant numbers, all sport fishing will cease to exist for the rest of my, and my children's natural lifetimes. Weather you are a sales associate, a manager, or the owner of the company... You will all be out of a job, and closing up shop in 10 years time if you don't commit to stopping the flow through the Chicago canal. Big business and money is what is preventing the US government from closing the canal. Big business and money (particularly BPS money), can also influence the US government to close it. I would very much appreciate a response to this e-mail to set me straight on where Bass Pro Shop stands on this issue.

Thanks you for your time. It is running out.

Derek Laporte

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Derek don't be scared bro don't be scared. You got milk. lol

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
If DNA is found it is not determinant of "live specimens". who knows how far and from where the DNA could have washed. We have to do as responsible citizens who care for and rely on our beautiful lakes for our enjoyment do everything in our power to halt these nasty bastards from comming here. And when the loch ness monster theories give way to actual physical proof, we will have to fish these bastards out of the lakes and use them for garden fertizizer.

----->Good post Derek, lets start JIGGIN!!!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE(CASTMASTER 5000 @ Jan 24 2010, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Since big business is what is keeping the canal open, maybe big business can help to close it? As we all know, Bass Pro Shop has a lot to lose if the fishing industry goes south here in the great lakes. Here is an e-mail I fired off to them a few minutes ago. I'm sure that they have a lot more to lose than the average Joe. I encourage everyone to do all that they can! I am truly frightened about this! I have a new kid coming into this world this summer and I would love to teach them the ways I've grown up with. If these fish take over, I will fish no longer. Please do all you can! Call everyone! Contact everyone! E-mail everyone!!!!!!!! Here is the e-mail.....

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was wondering what BPS was doing to influence the US government to close the Chicago shipping canal? It will most definately mean that most/all of your stores surrounding the great lakes will close if the Asian Carp get past the electronic barrier that is in place. Once the carp get into lake Michigan in significant numbers, all sport fishing will cease to exist for the rest of my, and my children's natural lifetimes. Weather you are a sales associate, a manager, or the owner of the company... You will all be out of a job, and closing up shop in 10 years time if you don't commit to stopping the flow through the Chicago canal. Big business and money is what is preventing the US government from closing the canal. Big business and money (particularly BPS money), can also influence the US government to close it. I would very much appreciate a response to this e-mail to set me straight on where Bass Pro Shop stands on this issue.

Thanks you for your time. It is running out.

Derek LaporteGreat letter, but if you think about it, its all the fishing suppliers,independent bait shops, Gander Mountain, etc, also the boating industry should have a take on this issue, your letter should say where your company stands and send it to other Suppliers also, your doing a great job, Doug A

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Even if there are a few carp in the lake, if we close the barrier now, we can keep the population low enough so that there isnt a breeding population and the fish will eventually die.

And if they have already gotten into lake michigan, then a barrier needs to be installed at the Soo as quickly as possible, and unlike the one in Chicago, ACTUALLY TURNED ON ALL THE WAY! Whatever we do, we CANNOT give up just because they made it into lake michigan. Ill tell you right now, i dont know how much of this inaction from the government i can take. The declaration of independence states "That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends (life, liberty, PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS) it is the RIGHT of the people to alter or to abolish it, and institute new Government..." I think the U.S. Government needs a wake-up call, and im thinking we need to give it to them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Unfortunalty, you can't stop nature. We can slow it but, too much money is involved. If we close the canal, someone will plant fish and say "see they are already there" open the canals or whatever. Lastly, the movement of boats, people, and birds will eventually transplant them. I only hope that their impact won't be a bad as predicted, mush as the other invasive species.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts