Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I also used Dolphinite Go-Fast bottom paint with unacceptable results. In mid summer I responded on their website regarding the product.

On my hull the product blistered and peeled in many location. Where it stuck it still accumulated algee and stained. I used the white color. Fortunatly the product is easy to remove.

Would you mind sharing the class action lawsuit information ?

ed

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Ed,

Your story sounds real familiar. Mine peeled and flaked off. It mostly dissolved. And yes, where it held the algae growth was to the point that I had to mow the hull at least twice a month to keep the growth under control.

The attorney to contact is:

Mr. John K. Fulweiler
DeOrchis & Partners, LLP
Attorneys at Law and Proctors in Admiralty
61 Broadway, New York, NY 10006-2802
Tel: 212-344-4700 Fax: 212-422-5299
Email: [email protected]

What did you use to remove it? I am looking at the job come spring season prep and am hoping that this will be over by then.

If you can either email or pm me with a fax number, I can fax over toyou the last letter I received from the lawyer telling where things stand and what is going on. In a nut shell, here is what is says:

Suit filed on 8/20/2003
There is a possbility that the defendants, Dolphinite and two other venture capital companies, have insurance for such a claim. IF this is the case, " it will provide for a better chance of the class members obtaining a meaningful recovery." By "meaningful, they are referring to an approx. settlement of $1200 - $1500 per member to correct the problem. (The attorney will send you a questionaire in which you list ALL your costs, ie... product cost, prep cost, application cost, and estimate of removing, repreping and repainting the hull if you have not already done so.
There was suppose to be a hearing in mid-December. I have not heard if this did in fact take place and if so, what the outcome was.

Hope this helps and good luck. I have talked to the attorney on the phone and was very pleased with him. If you ahve any more questions, dont hesitate to contact me.

Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

I applied it on the bottom of a 32 ' Fountain. I used the clear coating.
Most of it came off using a flat piece of plastic like a scraper. I actually started by using a old credit card. Took time but once I got going it wasn't bad. I was also told Acetone would disole it but thats something I'd rather not deal with considering the health risks.

After reading your post yesterday I started doing some searching also. I'll keep in touch and thanks for the reply.

ed

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is nothing harmful with using acetone. Just don't drink it
lol. Also you could use laquer thinner. Those work if it is a laquer based paint. If it is a water based paint (which it may be judging by how easily it came off), then mineral spirits(paint thinner) will easily take it off, and it is not as harsh a chemical. Good luck to both of you with the lawsuit. It is a shame it comes to this

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,
I started reading all the info. regarding the failure of dolphinite and found out Boat US / West marine is also paying for removal costs via their own insurer. I went that course since mine was bought from them. They paid for the paint and removal cost. It took me two phone calls and a fax to complete the process. If yuo bought from either places go to the Boat US consumer affairs web site and review the info. there regarding Dolphinite.

We billed $ 900 to finish cleaning the hull and the cost of the product.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,
I started reading all the info. regarding the failure of dolphinite and found out Boat US / West marine is also paying for removal costs via their own insurer. I went that course since mine was bought from them. They paid for the paint and removal cost. It took me two phone calls and a fax to complete the process. If you bought from either places go to the Boat US consumer affairs web site and review the info. there regarding Dolphinite.

We billed $ 900 to finish cleaning the hull and the cost of the product.

ed

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I found th e link to Consumer Affairs, but, unlessI am looking at the wrong page, dont see anything about BoatUS handling it. Can you PM me with the name and numbers that you called? I will be calling tomorrow or wednesday.

Also heard to day that Dolphonite closed their doors for good. Still trying to confirm this.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Interceptor,
disregard the above and the pm. I got the numbers from BoatUS and am getting fullu reimbursed for the coast of the paint and their insurance should be taking care of the hull work. All together, probably looking at around $1300.00

Thanks for the lead.

Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim,
Glad to hear they are fixing things for you also. It is so rare in the boating industry that someone steps up and takes care of things as Boat US/ West Marine has with this product failure. It isn't even their own house brand !!!

ed

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I cant agree more. BoatUS/West Marine have definately gone above and beyond Customer Satisfaction in this case. All in the name of Damage Control. And it wasnt even their damage to control on the firt place. A large business like them remembering who they are here for, US and not their yearly bonus checks is a rare thing indeed.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It's good to hear that you guys were able to resolve this and BoatUS/WestMarine were soo helpful & cooperative.
I had considered using Dolphinite on my boat. Glad i didn't. Now considering VC-17. Any other suggestions?
Anyone just using Scatt(sp)?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boat Chic,
I tried Scatt on my previous boat and it provided little if any protection.
I've been told by users that the VC products are good.

ed

·
12,052 Posts
I've used VC-17 on my last 3 boats. Its great. Too thin to peel off.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Just waiting for the insurance check to arrive and then it looks like VC-17 is the answer.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts