Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been with Geico for the past 5 years or so, and they've been pretty reasonable with rates and never had problems with them to get my truck fixed after not-at fault accidents...

Bought a new car. My rates went up from approximately 700 per 6 months to 1108 for 6 months.

OUCH!

just wondering if anyone has any input.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
i've been with State Farm around 20 years now, and every once in a while, I shop around for better rates. No one ever beats them, including geico. Maybe because of the multi car discount, homeowners insurance and personal watercraft insurance? I don't know. Only made a few claims but never had a problem with them. Plus the shops that I've dealt with have always said that they are the easiest and most reasonable to deal with.

When shopping around, make sure that you are getting rates for the exact same coverage. At first Geico gave me a better rate, but it was a much higher deductable, less liability coverage and no towing.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Allstate has been great for the last 7 years but have since raised my insurance.

I am also shopping around and State Farm has been the best and willing to put my boat under a policy when Allstate wouldn't.

Goodluck MJ

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Statefarm has been good for me too. House, small truck, motorcycle. only ever made claims for windshield twice when my truck was newer. They did bump my homeowners about $100 last year but I think every body got that. It seems like before ins. companies would bump my rates outrageously every couple years so I would shop around and have to switch. I been from AAA to progressive to allstate to statefarm(like them the best so far). Keep in mind older cars should typically be cheaper to insure than something brand new anyways. Their cheaper to fix, more parts available, and cheaper body shops might have more people that know how to fix 'em instead of just factory authorized and trained people.

I think there's and old thread on this subject somewhere.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
after being a loyal Allstate customer for over 8 years, they jacked my rates a couple years back.

I switched to Progressive, and I've been happy. If I pay monthly its closer to Allstate rates, but they give me a nice discount by paying 6 months up front.

I also had great service from them a couple weeks ago when I got rear-ended. Everything went smooth and very fast.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Dec 15 2003, 09:43 AM)Doesn't Instigator deal in auto insurance?
Thank you Lisa!

Every person & situation is a little different, so it's always good to shop.

Honestly, I can't offer the best rates for Individual auto & homeowners, I work mainly with companies.

But for individuals, I have to agree on the State Farm gig though! I've been with them for over 10 years with the homes, autos & sleds. Rates are pretty stable (as long as your claims stay low) and they are super-easy to deal with.

I'd also suggest having a local broker who works with many carriers to do some shopping for you. I've had great experience with Dave Gerlach in Mt. Clemens, I send a LOT of people to him & I've never had a complaint! [email protected]

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
Also be careful how much you shop around, insurance companies now check your credit rating. They can now charge you differently if your credit isn't that great.
Progressive/Geico and my independent guy told me this. If you get 6 quotes, that's 6 inquiries on your report. Pi$$es me off!
State Farm is the only insurance company that doesn't do this yet, (at least last year they didn't) and I agree, they have better rates than most.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(MaryJane @ Dec 15 2003, 09:07 AM)I've been with Geico for the past 5 years or so, and they've been pretty reasonable with rates and never had problems with them to get my truck fixed after not-at fault accidents...

Bought a new car. My rates went up from approximately 700 per 6 months to 1108 for 6 months.

OUCH!

just wondering if anyone has any input.
If you are a member of a credit union, try AAA...they offer credit union members group discounts. We switched everything from State Farm to AAA, State Farm couldn't come close to the price..

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(MaryJane @ Dec 15 2003, 09:07 AM)Bought a new car. My rates went up from approximately 700 per 6 months to 1108 for 6 months.
MJ, did you get a quote on insurance before you got your new car? Didn't you go from an early 90's Explorer, to.... ... I don't know what year your new car is.
This increased rate IS for your new car, right?

·
Registered
585 Posts
It doesnt matter where you go, all insurance companies are a rip off...I know Im paying up the wazzoo for a house, 2 boats, and 4 vehicles....I think it comes down to what kind of service they can give me. I have been with Allstate for the past 20 yrs and I have a great agent and have always had great service, no hassels.
my .02cents.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
MARY,
I had that happen with me. I was hit by a semi, nnot my fault, go figure no falt, how that is ..... anyway. When it was time to renew my policy went way up too, and changing to another company, they check and see that you just had an accident and they rape ya too. Not fair. i have progressive they are fair.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Dec 15 2003, 01:06 PM)QUOTE(MaryJane @ Dec 15 2003, 09:07 AM)
MJ, did you get a quote on insurance before you got your new car? Didn't you go from an early 90's Explorer, to.... ... I don't know what year your new car is.
This increased rate IS for your new car, right?
i went from a 94 explorer to a 02 sebring lx

the guy at allstate said he has NO IDEA why my rate would be so high seeing that my record is clean - no at fault accidents, no tickets, salaried job, with medical. Plus he said that the sebring shouldn't cost that much to insure. he was baffled.

i called state farm, and am waiting on a quote from them. she quoted me 840 but before i said OK, i wanted her to run my license and MAKE SURE the rate will be 840.

UGH this sucks

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
go online with allstate and do the quote thru there. I was messing around with it a couple a weeks ago and changing all the coverage options and stuff on a '99 trans am just for grins and had a range of like something $840-1400 depending on the deductible and all that stuff.

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
Mary
Check out AAA group insurance. By far the lowest I have found, although I think all insurance is overpriced. If you put a minimum of $5 in most credit union accounts you can qualify for AAA group rates. I'm with Metro Credit Union. I have a 2003 Chevy Impala and a 1999 Concorde with each car costing about $800/year full coverage. Hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have been with State Farm for the past 10 or 12 years. I do some checkig around now and again and they are always the cheapest.
I have filed two claims wth them, one was a deer "hit & run" and the other was when someone plowed into the back of my truck in a snowstorm. I never has any problems getting things fixed and they havn't raised my rates in almost 6 years.

NoCode

1 - 20 of 21 Posts