Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
What would you do for a job?

I just don't see a future in it!

They want you to work your life away. Heck screw your family your life is your job. <_<

As quoted today...

"Most people today live for their work..."

Ha...you have another thing coming pal...

Think I'm gonna sell crack to their kids.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Tell them when you hire in right from the start you wont work every sat. and only 9 hours a day. or 10.

Ive done it if they dont agree oh well there loss keep looking.But be up front about it otherwise you might wind up doing the 12 7 thing.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Seems like a lot of people I know are trying to get out of the auto biz....it's to up and down. Although even if you do get out you'd have to move cause it seems like everything in there area is connected to the auto biz....from the barber to the candlestick maker everying is tied into it around here.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Feb 11 2004, 06:06 PM)They want you to work your life away. Heck screw your family your life is your job.

As quoted today...

It's happening in every business . . .

More work for less pay . . . <_<

You either keep up . . . or be pushed aside!

OR, find a better way to do it!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Feb 11 2004, 06:12 PM)Tell them when you hire in right from the start you wont work every sat. and only 9 hours a day. or 10.

Ive done it if they dont agree oh well there loss keep looking.But be up front about it otherwise you might wind up doing the 12 7 thing.
Not talking about the Sat thing...

calls all hours of the night...expecting you to be at place. <_<

What hapened to the 8 hour work day and getting paid for overtime.

Time comp don't work cuz there isn't time to take it...Not to mention Vacation time. <_<

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I think the best biz to be in right now is health care...there's always people getting sick & dying. Although the way things are going I'm sure that industry will hit a breaking point too.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just sucks.... <_<

Really frustrated today...

"We need to increase market share...."

Well duh quite sendin the sh!dt over seas and maybe True Americans will be able to buy....your G
tta have products

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Feb 11 2004, 07:52 PM)I think the best biz to be in right now is health care...there's always people getting sick & dying. Although the way things are going I'm sure that industry will hit a breaking point too.
or utilities or insurance.

people will always get sick
people will always need utilities
people will always need insurance

everything else is just a gamble

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Feb 11 2004, 08:48 PM)It just sucks....

Really frustrated today...

"We need to increase market share...."

Well duh quite sendin the sh!dt over seas and maybe True Americans will be able to buy....your G
tta have products
there are more forign name plates made in the US than US name plates. The Auto industry will come back eventually. It's cyclical just like everything else. It just sucks right now. Believe me -- I know this very well.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
mortuary science, those dudes make mints, everyone dies and they rip everyone off for that box they bury you in, costs more than some cars, maybe get into casket manufacturing

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
QUOTE(Basstrap896 @ Feb 11 2004, 11:53 PM)As long as people keep buying non-american vehicles.....
we are screwed . . . . . .
Is it really worth it ...
That is soooo totally not the problem. Get some facts man!!! It's a world economy driven by the U.S. Foreign investment and business in this country keeps american citizens working just as U.S. Investment and business employs and improves the lives of millions overseas as well. Do we really have to have the "What is an American made car" discussion again for the ga-jillionth time? Hope you're lumping DCX (Chrysler) into that statement.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Feb 11 2004, 06:44 PM)QUOTE(garydebs @ Feb 11 2004, 06:06 PM) They want you to work your life away. Heck screw your family your life is your job.

As quoted today...

It's happening in every business . . .

More work for less pay . . .

but prices for everything are still going up. who is benefitting / making all this money ?
if you work for less, everyone works for less, product should cost less, not more, but every year product goes up, taxes go up, and you have less.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
With no automotive jobs

I would sell house, move to florida and be a helicoptor pilot. Still might do it, who knows.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(speedfreak @ Feb 12 2004, 07:49 AM)Pet Supplies!

I'm wanna open a PetSupply store, everyone loves to buy crap for their pets!
. Me too, let's start one. Stuff isn't cheap either, just dropped 100.00 the other day on dog food and treats, and toys. That Vals on 14 mile is always busy. That or a salt water fish store ever see the prices on some of the fish they have? Over a hundred dollars for one fish but people are always in there buying them.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I've been in the Die Design engineering business job shops since 1966 to 1983 when I started off as a detailer. Now I have 21 years in at General Motors Die Engineering.. I really don't know what working a 40 hour a week job is??? I have worked 58 hours a week since I can remember.. I don't know how long it will last during my career until I decide to retire which may be another 9 to 10 years??? But, I do think that with all of the global outsourcing that the companies are doing now a days your probably better off going to India to get a job... To hire into GM now as salary they don't even offer you any real pension with insurance and so on. My daughter wouldn't even consider working for GM because of their package that they offer. I hate to say it, but American have been sold out by the corporation that they work for. If we need to call out a 800 number here at the office for support on our UG computers, we reach a desk at Delhi India with someone we can't understand half the time.. And, what we receive back in dies here at the plants, we usually have to redesign because what happened over seas in their build sources is garbage. Okay, I said enough to vent for myself...
Now, Please try to have a great day. lol Boating season is on the way.. And, anyone who can't afford a boat is always welcome to go out with me fishing at anytime that I head out! :>)

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Speaking of help desks in India---When was the last time anyone called American Express for account assistance--What an eyeopener.

All in all I enjoy working with and for a foreign company. It's provided me with a lifetime of experience and opportunity which is virtually recession proof.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have heard there is a book called "The Death of Detroit" written by a former GM economist. It basically predicts that Detroit is well on it's way to becoming a ghost town as a result of the demise of the auto industry. As has been pointed out, the city's economy is almost wholly dependent on the auto industry. As the big three shrink their payrolls and continue to offshore jobs once done by designers and machinists in Detroit, the results trickle down to resteraunts, retail, the Michigan travel industry and yes, boaters.

How many of you own boats because of the good living you made in the auto industry? Jobbienooner was started by designers. There aren't a lot of employed designers left in this town. Five years ago there were on average, two pages of ads for designers and checkers in the Sunday News every weekend. Seems like a dream now. If the toolies aren't designing, the machinists aren't working. If the machinists aren't working, the millwrights aren't working. It goes on ad nauseum.

I've been in the business for over twenty-five years, been through more recessions than I care to remember, but I ain't never seen anything like this. I, like many of you, suspect it's not coming back.

Four years ago I had a six figure income and thought I was secure for the rest of my carreer. I spent the last three weeks washing walls and painting for a pittance in an effort to make the house payment just one more month.

As the reccesion drags on (in spite of what George says) people are running out of unemployment without finding jobs, they are depleting their life's savings trying to hold on, praying for a miracle that is not forthcoming. Who do the newly disenfranchised sell their boats and homes to?

If you're working, you're lucky. Save your money. Don't become complacent and think, "It can't happen to me."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts