Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took off Wednesday night fot the 12 hour trek north to the a-frame we have east of longlac off of highway 11. Stopped at the sault Wednesday night and was fishing by lunch time on Thursday. We fished 2 smaller lakes up there, one of which is good for pike the other for perch and eyes. We got plenty of pike in the 10-15 pound range but no real hogs this year. We had our limit of eyes within the first hour or two and got some nice jumbo perch to mix in with them as well. The rest of the trip we spent the mornings chasing pike and the evenings refilling our limit with whatever fish we had eaten the night before.
Never had a problem with the eyes or pike but we really did not get into as many jumbo perch as I would have liked to. Caught the eyes and perch on small brown and gold, and bleeding hot olive raps. Most of the pike came on larger smithwicks while trolling deeper water. The wind basically blew steadily at over 20mph the whole time we were there except the last evening. That part of the trip sucked but the fish were still biting so after awhile you forgot about it. Saw 5 moose and 7 bear on the trip up and back with a couple of those moose seen feeding on the shore while we were fishing.
Plenty of loons and bald eagles fishing along side of us as well. Here are some pics. The blue coat one is myself and the rest are of my fishing partner Randee who came along this year. Although the quality is poor the pic of the both of us in front of the a-frame has a bunch of eyes and perch in between us and I am holding a bunch of morels we found up there as well. We found enough morels road hunting on the 2 tracks on the way to go fishing that we were able to eat them each night for dinner and bring a bunch back as well. Conditions were as dry as I have seen up there and the bugs thankfully were non-existant! Time to get out to the SCR and whip up a few local eyes now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice gators

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Thanks for sharing and for the pictures. Looks like a lot of fun

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Sweet stuff!!!! Nice to see you got into some chunky gators for sure!!!! No musky eh? LOL jk Glad to hear you had a good time. Those are some BIG eye's too huh!!!? Very nice walters. Nothing beats fresh picks at the cottage.

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 10 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sweet stuff!!!! Nice to see you got into some chunky gators for sure!!!! No musky eh? LOL jk Glad to hear you had a good time. Those are some BIG eye's too huh!!!? Very nice walters. Nothing beats fresh picks at the cottage.

Trolled the hell out of that super shad rap so I could get a pic for you peks but they wanted the smaller stuff this year.
I noticed the neighbors called them pickeral as well. Isn't a pickeral a different fish from a walleye? I know that is what they call eyes up there but I thought their was an actual pickeral. If so what do they call a pickeral then?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jun 10 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 10 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sweet stuff!!!! Nice to see you got into some chunky gators for sure!!!! No musky eh? LOL jk Glad to hear you had a good time. Those are some BIG eye's too huh!!!? Very nice walters. Nothing beats fresh picks at the cottage.

Trolled the hell out of that super shad rap so I could get a pic for you peks but they wanted the smaller stuff this year.
I noticed the neighbors called them pickeral as well. Isn't a pickeral a different fish from a walleye? I know that is what they call eyes up there but I thought their was an actual pickeral. If so what do they call a pickeral then?

LOL suuuuuuuuuuuure bud. No Esox can turn down a Super Shad

Ya, pickerel is a type of Esox. I think we have Grass Pickerel, Chain Pickerel, and one other kind (slipped my mind). I call my fish Walleye, even thou it's a Canadian thing...but since you were up in Canada haha I decided to throw out the Pickerel bomb to keep your post as Canadian as possible

It is funny thou, cuz when I say Walleye, in reference to eating fish, people are like " is it good" etc...and I say, "you know Walleye, Pickerel"...and they are like ohhhhhhh, that's the same fish???? I honestly don't get it...but since I was (still am) a nerd when I was young, only name I've known for that fish was WALLEYE

hmmmm....I guess they would all it a Wall'EH , eh?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thats some sweet stuff Tony and it sounds like you had a blast.
Nice fat pike you gotta love it!
BB

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
nice job tony, looks like the weather stayed good so you could fish the whole time.

·
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jun 10 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sweet pics. I like the lodge. Reminds me of my old place in Trout Lake.

Hand built by dad and uncles back in the 70's. My grandpa originally got the place on a 50 year lease at the cost of $1.00 per year.
They were trying to get you to build and travel there to boost the economy at that time. A decade or so ago we got the oppurtunity to purchase the place and we took advantage. It is truly old school. We have one bbq tank that runs the stove, one bbq tank that runse the 2 refrigerators, and one that runs the flash hot water heater and bathroom heater. Water pressure is supplied by a 55 gallon drum on the roof which we run a water pump from the lake each day to fill. That gives you water for the shower and sink but the outhouse is still the bathroom of choice.
Their is a wood burning stove for heat which we only needed the last day when we woke up and it was 27 degrees in the cabin.
Their is also a black and white t.v. that runs off of a 12 volt battery and gets a whopping 1 channel(cbc). My brother and his group are on their way up and are really gonna enjoy watching game 7 on it.
Reroofing her in August with a metal roof so hopefully we are done with the maintenance for awhile. We really only use it once a spring for a fishing trip and ocassionally in the fall but the 12 hour hike makes it tough when you are that close to bow season.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jun 10 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jun 10 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sweet pics. I like the lodge. Reminds me of my old place in Trout Lake.

Hand built by dad and uncles back in the 70's. My grandpa originally got the place on a 50 year lease at the cost of $1.00 per year.
They were trying to get you to build and travel there to boost the economy at that time. A decade or so ago we got the oppurtunity to purchase the place and we took advantage. It is truly old school. We have one bbq tank that runs the stove, one bbq tank that runse the 2 refrigerators, and one that runs the flash hot water heater and bathroom heater. Water pressure is supplied by a 55 gallon drum on the roof which we run a water pump from the lake each day to fill. That gives you water for the shower and sink but the outhouse is still the bathroom of choice.
Their is a wood burning stove for heat which we only needed the last day when we woke up and it was 27 degrees in the cabin.
Their is also a black and white t.v. that runs off of a 12 volt battery and gets a whopping 1 channel(cbc). My brother and his group are on their way up and are really gonna enjoy watching game 7 on it.
Reroofing her in August with a metal roof so hopefully we are done with the maintenance for awhile. We really only use it once a spring for a fishing trip and ocassionally in the fall but the 12 hour hike makes it tough when you are that close to bow season.

Everything you just mentioned, except the 12 hr drive, is the reason it reminds me of my old place I built back in 1994 when I got out of the ARMY. I needed my place of seclusion. I got tired of the go on vacation to work your A$$ off trips. Got rid of it, and now rent a cabin every year somewhere new. This year it's in Curtis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts