Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering who had (or currently has) back problems and what solution if anything worked best for you. I found out in the spring I have a herniated disc between L5-S1. I have experienced some really rough days between then and right now. I have tried a few different things, physical therapy (including e-stim), massage, chiropractic but I am still suffering in pain. This Thursday, I am going for the nerve block shots and am hopeful for relief. Anyone been through this and have any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
i have three disc in my neck messed up i just stretch my neck several times throughout the day take a couple motrin before i go fishing and if its to bad i dont go a heating pad and a massage every night worked the best for mine

·
Registered
478 Posts
My advice would be to forego the chiropractic treatment. If therapy is not helping you probably need a microdiscectomy at the L5-S1 level.

The epidural steroid injections are not going to much in the way healing your herniated disc.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
[quote name='heinie' My advice would be to forego the chiropractic treatment. If therapy is not helping you probably need a microdiscectomy at the L5-S1 level.

The epidural steroid injections are not going to much in the way healing your herniated disc.

JMHO

[/quote]

I have the same problem with L5- S1 and L5- L4 Did everything you have said and more had the three shots too. With not much help. Best bet is time lots of rest. The shots may relieve some pain but it's going to take time. I had surgery 7 months ago after two years it happen and it still not right. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't go get the surgery! Hell I even tryed some of the crap on T.V. to try to relieve my pain. The chiropractic treatment would be a good thing too it will help some. A [email protected]&d UP back is a bad thing and takes lots of time to heal. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was involved in auto accident 3 years ago. I have also been suffering with 2 herniated discs in neck and three herniated discs in my back. I have tried everthing except surgery. The neck, stretch, the back stretch also try rolling on a tennis ball for the lower back. Also lots of back and neck massage. STAY AWAY from Chiropractors.IMO..

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
I've got two herniated discs in my lower back that were finally discovered two years ago after an emergency hospital stay. The neurosurgeon at the hospital said try physical therapy before EVER doing surgery - even though he said my back was worse than most 70 yr olds. So my doctor recommended therapy at a well known back center that advertises alot on TV - they didn't do crap for me.

Did the epidural too - very painful treatment that didn't do SQUAT. Have fun with yours, it's great!

My doctor then refered me to another neurosurgeon, who recommended physical therapy at The Training Room at the Troy Sports Center. It only took two weeks of their program to get the swelling down around the herniations and get me going. As long as I do my core exercises and wear my brace when I'm bouncing on the boat, I'm basically pain free. I told them I was doing the tennis ball thing too, and they said STOP!

And BCBS covered it except for a small co-pay.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had something going on like that from powerlifting. For me getting everything balanced strength wise and doing reverse back extensions to build endurance & decompress the disks worked like a charm. Of course there was handfuls of motrin while it was going on but I haven't hurt more than a time or 2 in the last couple of years and those were from pushing things too far.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Sep 3 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had the epidural shot today, Capt. Doug had me a little freaked out that it would hurt but it wasn't bad. Hopefully, it will help, not seeming give immediate relief though.
Good to hear it wasn't that bad. I had mine while I was experiencing severe spasms from the muscles surrounding the disc. That probably didn't help.

Gotta think though that treating the pain with the epidural won't solve the problem. At least that's what I was told. The Training Room worked on getting the swelling down in my problem area and getting the muscles working properly again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have 3 herinated disc's (l4, l5 and s1) that caused my left leg to be numb for over 5 weeks and not being able to lie or sit for extended periods of time. I didnt help my back by playing hockey 4 nights and 1 night of softball, but the shots did and laying low helped. I still get a tad of numbness in the leg but I started back on the ice Tuesday night so far with no problems. Loosing a few pounds around my gut helped a ton too.

I just started using an inverson table and I feel that I am helping the disc heal. Its takes a long time to heal these discs.

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Sep 3 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>getting the swelling down in my problem area and getting the muscles working properly again.

Tru dat! If you can get rid of the swelling & spams then building up & strengthening the muscles around the injury will do more than blocking the pain any day. The problem is getting things stronger can SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have gone though the whole back treatment program you here going though. I had two herniated disks L-4 & L-5. Nothing worked and Chiropractors made it worse. I was talking to a Chiropractor at a family event and he told me "Chiropractic is a lot of smoke and mirrors". With that coming from the mouth of a practicing Chiropractor did it for me.

I ended up having the two disks surgery. It is no fun!!!!!

Do your core exercises like it's a religion that is the best thing you can do to help yourself. The only magic bullet is exercises and weight control. A prescription of a Cortisone med. pack will help on the bad flare-ups. Even after the surgery you need to do the exercises and you will have flare ups, so avoid surgery if possible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Before you do surgery, I would look into laser surgery where they remove scar tissue and nothing more, it may not be covered by your insurance, but you can always get a cadaver chunk or fusion later, but removing scar tissue can reduce the grinding. And core strength is the most important, try yoga. Good luck, I hope you can find a solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow good to see a lot of us have F'd up backs - The main reason I now have a center console is so I can stand while underway. The pouinding of a Bassboat is brutal underway.

I did surgey 8 years ago and am way better now - like everyone says - CORE workouts are key. Don't do crunches or situps ever! Lots of alternatives out there.

Also keep your hamstrings limber - this will put less strain on your lower back, while your moving.

Good luck -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.