Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made a trip up to hillman michigan this weekend. hillman is near alpena. we fished long lake. 2nd year in a row we made it up there. last year was a bust with the weather being in the 30s and plenty of snow and freezing rain. this year was great. water temps in the low 50s brought most of hte smallmouth onto the flats to spawn. seen a lot of pigs. i decided to target the prespawners instead of bed fishing as all my other friends did. first morning i caught 15 smallies with 3 fish over 4 lbs and 6 fish over 3 lbs. next day i caught 12 with 5 fish over 3 lbs and the rest in the 2 lb range. by sunday morning the fishing and the fish had gone south ( down ). we hit the water at 5:30 am ( only boat out there til 8:30) and i was sure we were going to kill them, but by 10 am i had only caught 1 2 lb smallmouth and the other 2 in the boat hadnt caught anything. all in all, i was happy with the fish i caught. i locked onto a pattern in the first 20 minutes and played it out until sunday. no one else was catching them. no one wanted to take any advice from me. i was just trying to help, we all payed a good chunk of change to catch fish and i wated all of us to catch them. oh well, maybe next year they will listen. for anyone looking for a good fishing trip, check this lake out. i give it 4 stars for accomadations, 5 stars for being one of the coolest lakes i have ever fished, 4 stars for quality of fish, and 4 stars for quantity tho i would have liked to catch more i was happy with what i got. i missed a 20lb pike too. damn split ring came off. i hear they have big greens in there too but i was after the bronzies. all i have to say is suspending rogues strike again!!!

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
And I give you a half star rating for admitting here that you were targeting bass. Makes me wonder if the DNR can use this as a written confession.

Mini

·
Registered
424 Posts
Trout in Long Lake are awesome at nighttime you can fill up a cooler of them fish straight down with corn once you find the depth it's like catching perch one after another.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good thing i dont type with my foot, i am having a hard time pulling it out of my mouth

madman himself

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your story sickens me---only because I wasn't there!Wasted 6 hours on Kent lake in the afternoon for 4 bass 2 walleye and a gar, and saw more turtles than I ever want to see again. Bass all on drop offs, nothing near bedding areas. Can't wait until the St. Clair opener.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am going up there in about one week. I have fish up there only once. I will have to try Long Lake. I will be up there for a week. I good start to a good season.

Brian B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I was up in the area this past weekend, too. I fished Fletcher's Floodwaters for the first time. Was throwing big spinner baits and rapalas for pike. I ended up catchin 2 nice pike, one 28 inches, one 30, along with an accidental smallmouth and 4 or 5 largemouths. What a fun lake to fish! Hard to pinpoint fish location cause the lake is just loaded with structure. Can't wait to go up during bass season, I hear they drag some monster largemouths out of that lake!

spartanfisher

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you think Long Lake is good now, try it around the end of June. 2 and 3 lb. smallies on topwaters all day long and when the wind kicks up, they crush spinnerbaits. It is a great lake with great structure but a long drive. Glad to hear someone else is enjoying it, but can't say I agree with bragging about tearin' them up before the season starts. I'll be there June 21-28. Can't wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts