Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the tail end of the lead story on Channel 4 and 7 news tonight. They said a man and woman were out in a boat and he apparently slipped and fell in. The woman went in after him but he is still missing. They said it happened off Harbor Club North in about 6' of water. Let's hope for the best and send out prayers for the family(s) involved.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts

makes you wonder how this can happen? wouldn't you think a man would hit the bottom of 6 ft and come back up? I dont get it

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The water is still cold. As soon as you hit cold water, it's a natural reaction to inhale. Also Hypothermia will make you dis-oriented to where you don't know what is up. He may have gone into shock and who knows if alcahol was involved.

It's sad, people don't realize how dangerous some things are.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
in 50 degree water, an average adult will loose muscle control in 10 minutes from hypothermia. In 20, conciousness fades. It's not the inhalation of water that's the problem now. It's the rapid loss of body heat.

To us, at the moment, he's a nameless faceless, but a staunch warning. Watch your peeps???

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. I was out with my boy at that time. I saw the helo flying around and couldn't figure out why. Damn, If I woud've known, I would've helped with the search effort. Next time I'll find out. God help him...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ May 9 2004, 11:32 PM)To us, at the moment, he's a nameless faceless, but a staunch warning. Watch your peeps???

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, Al. Just seeing it on the news hit too close to home.

Another thing is that he could have fallen on the bow. The potential for injury when someone loses their footing on freshly waxed fiberglass is huge.

In the story, they did show the sherriffs on what I would guess was a 21-25' green and white runabout, no name on the transom.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Yeah, it happened in front of Harbor Club and Gino's. Emergency and news trucks were all over the parking lot.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Myself, wife, kids, mother-in-law and brother/sisters-in-law had just tied back up to the slip at HCN from a half day at Metro, when I heard her screaming from the lake. Taking a look, I could see the woman in the water and the boat was drifting away. Thinking she had fallen overboard as the boat drifted away, alot of people were looking, but not moving. We untied and took off from the slip and headed back out making the first VHF call to the coast guard. As we arrived, another vessel who was out at the time had arrived and threw the lady a PFD. She was still in the water with it when we got there, screaming. The other vessel that came to assist did not have a VHF radio. We advised the USCG that she was okay, but that we still had one reportedly under the water and provided all the needed info, lat/long, boat description and nearest landmarks (HCN/Gino's) and approx. 6' water depth. We began a surface search as she got out of the water and onto the other vessel. They too, began to search as I began using the boat horn to signal the coasties as they came over from Metro. (we just saw them there 15 mins before stopping, boarding and checking a vessel in the Lagoon). We assisted in the search for over an hour until the t-storm arrived. As we left HCN, in talking with the Macomb County Sherrif, they still had not located the man.

His name is Larry, about 5'8", african-american, wearing a grey shirt and kahki shorts according to his girlfriend.

Our prayers go out for him, his girlfriend, family and friends.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
As Fox 2 reported it my heart sank....

When they said HCN...I was sadder hoping it wasn't one of our own.

Thoughts and prayers.

A good warning to all of us.

Commend your efforts PJ!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Yeah, I saw that on FOX 2 last night. First thing I thought was if its someone we know.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
QUOTE(soosassy @ May 10 2004, 08:04 AM)This is the first i've heard about it, my heart goes out to the woman. How very sad

Ditto

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Boater believed drowned

Thunderstorms force divers to suspend search.

By Mitch Hotts Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Michael and Liz Schaefer were enjoying a quiet afternoon Sunday, fishing with their sons on their boat on Lake St. Clair when they heard a woman's cry for help.
"At first, we thought it was just some people goofing around in the water," Liz Schaefer said. "But then the voice grew more desperate and we realized something was wrong."
A couple aboard another boat in the bay near Jefferson by Gino's Surf in Harrison Township was in trouble. A man apparently slid off the deck of his 24-foot Four Winns vessel and fell into the water. His girlfriend jumped in to try to help him. Neither wore flotation devices.
Once in the water, the woman couldn't locate her boyfriend, who is missing and presumed to have drowned, said Battalion Chief Robert Knapp of the Harrison Township Fire Department. The pair live at Sea Watch Condominiums, about 500 yards from shore, officials said.
Knapp said the fire department's divers were in the water within 20 minutes of receiving a call at 6:15 p.m., and were soon joined by members of the U.S. Coast Guard and its helicopter searching the water surface. The divers called off the search around 7:30 p.m. because of a thunderstorm moving into the area.
"Unfortunately, we had to pull our divers out of there because of the lightning from the storm," Knapp said. "The Macomb County Sheriff 's Office will have its marine patrol searching this area first thing (today), but it doesn't look good right now."
The Schaefers helped pull the surviving woman from the 6-footdeep waters.
"We put our ladder in the water because their boat apparently didn't have one," Mike Schaefer said. "We got her in our boat and she was just frantic. She said 'My boyfriend fell in the lake,' and we put some clothes on her and called 911."
The woman, who was sobbing when she arrived on shore, was treated at the scene by Harrison Township medical crews and then taken to the sheriff 's department to make a statement.
The presumed death of the male boater was the first drowning reported in this boating season, still in its infancy, Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said.
Three people drowned in two boating accidents in Macomb County in 2003, and three drowned in 2002, according to Michigan Department of Natural Resources records. Statewide, 29 people died in boating accidents last year.
"It's possible once this gentleman fell into the water he became disoriented, which is an easy thing to do," Hackel said. "I cannot stress enough why it's so important to wear a life jacket at all times when you're on the water."
Knapp said he initially was hopeful that divers could find the missing boater because the water was a relatively warm 63 degrees, decreasing the chance for hypothermia. But as thunderstorms moved in with gusting winds and flashing lightning, he was forced to call the team from the water.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Wow....lets never a story you want to read.

Three chears for PyrateJim doing the right thing and jumping in to lend a helping hand.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
From Beacon Cove i saw the coast guard copter hovering low, also the flashing lights on the shore near HCN knew something bad must've happened.
Then saw it on the 10pm news. Very sad.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I seen the chopper flyin around yesterday and just thought they were practicin or gettin people off the lake for the storm. Too sad. Makes ya worry a little especially with a few people on board and travelin at night sometimes.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i'm with you, eagle1. kudos for pyrate jim for acting so quickly! my heart and prayers go out to her and her family, and i hope and pray that we all have a safe boating season.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts