Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sisters tests have come back. Its bad. Cancer in every bone in her body. They aren't even sure what kind at this point. They said it was a rare, fast growing type of some kind. She also has some rare skin cancer.

The biggest immidiate prob is her job. She works in a factory. On her feet all night. The Dr feels that she won't be able to do that for long. If she goes on disability , she only gets $60.00 a week. After 6 months she will lose her medical insurance.

Does anyone know what the laws are in Mich regarding this? It jut doesn't seem right. She has worked there for almost 18 years. She had breast cancer 3 years ago. She was off work for a year while going thru the surgury chemo, etc. They fired her after 6 months, but hired her back when the Dr gave her the ok. She lost seniority, etc.

Its so frustrating... this is hard enough on her, she shouldn't have to worry about her job, too.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Elaine, I was hoping for the better....I am so sorry to hear this. I owe you a big hug next time I see you.

Sorry, can't help...but if I ever hear anything that she could do, I'll pm it to you.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 5 2003, 05:47 PM)They suck.
Call problem solvers.
Call Michigan Labor Board ?
comapnies today screw all the workers

in good health, but to do it in bad health is just
downright cold hearted and dispicable

·
12,052 Posts
My cousin is in his fifties and worked in a shop for years. His health isn't that good any more and is on permanant dissability from social security. That is much better than $60. a week.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Instigator may know some laws on the books for this !
insurance is his pc of pie, maybe he knows of a way the insurance company picks up pay, and benefits.

what is this aflac insurance out there ?

i would ask instigator , see if he has some insight on the laws.

heck, unemployment is what $320 a week or something.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We thought about the SS disability thing. Last time she was off work they turned her down. (go figure THAT one out). Why the disabitily from work is so low, I am not quite sure. She has been back to work for almost 2 years. Don't know if it has something to do with her being off for that year or not.
I have been looking on the internet about the laws, but its not written in English. Or at least not a language I recognise.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(MrsSunbum @ Aug 5 2003, 06:04 PM)We thought about the SS disability thing. Last time she was off work they turned her down. (go figure THAT one out). Why the disabitily from work is so low, I am not quite sure. She has been back to work for almost 2 years. Don't know if it has something to do with her being off for that year or not.
I have been looking on the internet about the laws, but its not written in English. Or at least not a language I recognise.
i am so sorry.
is she single, married? husband have insurance for her?
may be cheaper for her to get laid off, collect unemployment, and pay cobra if it is just for her. like 450 a month.
again i would consult instigator, he may have ideas for you.
i have no idea.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
MrsSunBum, sorry to hear about your sister. Unfortunately, that is what I do for a living (treat cancer patients with radiation). I have things like this all too often and it always sickens me. Are you sure it is $60/week and not 60%. ? That's what I always see. That seem really low! Where is she being taken care of? Did they say it was something unrelated to the breast cancer (a second primary), because that is usually where breast cancer goes (bones). PM me if you want any info. I will try to be as helpful as I can.

Scott

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Aug 5 2003, 06:58 PM)Instigator may know some laws on the books for this !
insurance is his pc of pie, maybe he knows of a way the insurance company picks up pay, and benefits.

what is this aflac insurance out there ?

i would ask instigator , see if he has some insight on the laws.

heck, unemployment is what $320 a week or something.
Elaine, I'm sooo sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

We wish her God's strength in her battle!

I would need to know a lot more about her benefits plans to be specific. Initially, I know she is eligible for COBRA & the Family Leave Act. Then, there are the various Workers w/Disabilities acts & laws. This would be the area of a specialized Attorney.

The first thing that comes to mind is the
Person's With Disabilities Civil Rights Act - Act 220 of 1976. Atty's regularly have great luck enforcing this act.
The next is Workers' disability Compensation Act of 1969.

The above links load actual PDF copies of these acts.

I'll speak to a few people I know who specialize in these areas. In the meantime, see what you can find out about her benefits.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
i knew you would have some great info steve.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Aug 5 2003, 07:23 PM)i knew you would have some great info steve.
Thanks for the Kudo's, buddy!

I wish I had more specific's! I'll be working on it!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She is single. 41. No boyfriend. She is pretty nuch on her own. SHe has a 20 yr old son. He is NO help. (loser).

Thank you everyone for the prayers and kind thoughts.

Steve I am not real sure about her benefits. I do know she had the cobra thing last time, but it was way out of her means. Once she was fired, she had no income. SS turned her down.

Big House, thank you! She is being treated by an oncologist out of St John Det. On Moross. They call it the big house. I am pretty sure it is from the breast cancer. They were just really surprised for some reason at the type. I dont have all the details yet.
My mom had breast cancer 6 yrs ago. It metasised (sp?) to the bones a year & a half ago. Its not nearly as wide spread as my sisters. So the family is dealing with both of them at this point. If you don't mind, when I do find out the details, I would like to talk to you. Perhaps you can explain things. The Dr didn't tell her everything today. He said she needed some time to deal with this much, he would explain more later.

Again, thank you so much everyone. We appreciate all the help.

Steve , I will call her later, find out details, call you tonight.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fast Eddie, your big warm heart never ceases to amaze me. You are a truly great guy. Thank you.

Jetski, Hammer, threecrabs, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

I love you guys. Don't know what I would do with out you.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
mrs sunbum, i can only give you big hugs! so one's coming your way!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I'm truly sorry to hear all that. Its just awful.

I'll give you a hug too if you want.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mrs Sunbum
Though I don't know you, a prayer and good thoughts are coming your way. Too many families today have to deal with all this medical insurance problems when times couldn't be worse. I wish you and your family the best.
Sue

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
There doesn't seem to be the right thing to say when there is such bad news. A hug is the best thing for you.

I know how it feels to learn that someone in your family has been diagnosed with cancer and the ups and downs. My heart goes out to you and your family, may you find the strength.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts