Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 30 acres in Midland County and I was thinking about spreading some bait on the property. In 23 years of hunting I have never hunted over bait and was wondering what others thought on the subject.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The property Ihunt on is an old Apple Orchard so I don't really have to worry about it.

My thought is that if you set up a good stand where you know there is high traffic that you don't need to worry about bait.

All the people who I know who have used bait always say that the deer just eat it all at night and he never sees them there during the day.

Just my thought though.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Totally agree on this one.

It didn't help the we were in club country. But the bait was never eaten during the day. Set out in the morning, nothing during the day and the next morning the pile was gone.

Take the time to learn their habits and routes. Bedding feeding etc. Plae your stands strategically. You might have enough time to plant some food plots. I am a eliever in these. They attract deer, they provide nutrisious food, and it is available throughout the year. They don't have to hunger for it like bait piles. Also with TB and CWD they do not gather like a bait pile.

Congrats on the land and good luck this year!

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Aug 8 2003, 11:25 AM)Totally agree on this one.

It didn't help the we were in club country. But the bait was never eaten during the day. Set out in the morning, nothing during the day and the next morning the pile was gone.

Take the time to learn their habits and routes. Bedding feeding etc. Plae your stands strategically. You might have enough time to plant some food plots. I am a eliever in these. They attract deer, they provide nutrisious food, and it is available throughout the year. They don't have to hunger for it like bait piles. Also with TB and CWD they do not gather like a bait pile.

Congrats on the land and good luck this year!
Nicely said Garydebs!

I totally agree about the food plots. Bait piles feed the existing deer but food plots bring deer to the area and keep them their.

A strategiclly placed food plot with a good stand on it will produce far more deer than a bait pile ever could.

October is rapidly approaching! I can't wait!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts