Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could explain, in a brief way, how the barometer has effected there fishing days-------or if it even matters.
I am reading conflicting reports-----some say it is huge -others say n b deal??????
ANY THOUGHTS????

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
borometer readings are pressure related. air applies pressure to the water and changes the pressure under the water. the pressure effects the fishes internal swim bladder and thereby effect how they act.

usually not a big deal but in certain climates and certain water it can be huge. Bass fishing in Lake St Clair Michigan, not so much. Bass fishing in Lake Okeechobee Florida HUGE!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I've not kept detailed records myself, but read an article in Musky Hunter the other day where a dude had kept records as a guide for like 30 years, and he said that overwhelmingly he caught more fish, and a higher percentage of bigger fish with a falling barometer, and the post frontal high pressure "bluebird" days were his lower producers. Not absolute, but the trends were along those lines.

But that's just what I read. I've not kept the records myself.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
A fast rising or falling barometer for me on St. Clair has killed the fishing.

A steady slow rise or fall has not shown to make much difference to me.

I have been out doing real good for a couple hours then nothing for the rest of the day after trying everything I could think of. 1 real quick check on my fishfinder and it shows a huge fast change and it explains it all. That has heppened to me a dozen times. Nothing else makes sense. Fishing the same area with the same baits and all of a sudden they stop hitting? No way have all the fish gotten used to your lures. Go home.

My $0.02, fast changes your better off staying in bed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all!
I think I will continue to go by my ol` rule-----fish when I can!
Hope to have the time some day-in many years-(retire)- to pick and chose by conditions!
Have a great day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts