Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard look at bass boat. A 2001 Champion 203 dcx elite, with a Merc 200 EFI. All is in great shape, and well kept. As this is my forst foray into fibreglass bass boats I would value opinions from the bass fishermen on this site.

· Registered
18 Posts
If the boat and motor are in good condition, you cant go wrong. Owned and have ridden in alot of bass boats and for big water Champion beats um all. Its still a bass boat which means no 70mph in 3 footers, but if you looking for a smooth and dry ride a Champ is the way to go. A Merc 250 may be a bit better for performance but with the right prop a 200 will do just fine.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
I'm on Champion number 12. Great big water boat, and if that EFI has been well taken care of it should be bullet proof. Just a little harder on gas though. If you do buy it, run a bottle of Mercury Quick Kleen through the engine....

· Registered
6,440 Posts
Don't have an opinion on manufacturers but I do say if it is really choppy out there in any bass boat slow it down some it can get pretty hairy. And also welcome to the site.

· Registered
2,983 Posts
I have a 2004 in that hull and have found that it handles LSC well. Would recommend it for sure if the boat is in good shape.

· Premium Member
3,844 Posts
When shopping for bass boats, look on the side for the word "Ranger" and if it has that and the motor has "YAMAHA" written on the side, you're good to go.
(I couldn't pass up that opportunity.)

Really though, Champions have a rep as a good big water boat. Do as Jon suggests and go ask the guys at BBC and it'll be like swatting flies all the responses coming in.

Check the motor-compression, bleed down, shaft run out, pressure check lower unit, etc. Check the transom on the boat by stepping on the lower unit, and making sure nothing moves or flexes in the transom. I could go on and on about stuff to look for, but I'll stop here and just say look the boat over as if you were giving it to your mom. If the wiring looks like crap, and like it's been redone by someone that just didn't give a crap, then it probably has been. If the steering is leaking and looks like it hasn't been taken care of, then it probably hasn't been. That sort of thing.

And test drive it. Make sure the motor is cold, and has sat cold for a few hours before you go to start it. Then run it, accelerate, idle, WOT, shut it down, start it back up, and do it again. If the seller has a good boat, he'll be more than happy to take you out and let you drive it all you want to. If he balks....may not be a bad boat, but it's a red flag.

Champions are cool boats. If I wasn't in a Ranger I'd be in a BayCat or a Champion of some sort.

· Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 24 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really though, Champions have a rep as a good big water boat. Do as Jon suggests and go ask the guys at BBC and it'll be like swatting flies all the responses coming in.

Yeah, I'd post in the Champion forum to see what things to look for specific to the Champions.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=37

They are great in big water!

· Registered
5,191 Posts
They are the best in rough water, BY FAR. The one downside is they're a whole lot wetter than any other type of boat. They also catch the wind because the bow sits higher in the water. But, for big water a champion is definitely the right boat.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input.It was much apprecaited. I know the seller very well and he has taken care of it. I will mostly be fishing out Ky Lake but make frequent trips to Lake St Clair, so hope to be posting some good reports soon.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.