Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, if any of you guys get really bored sometime and you're curious about how bass boats are built, I've added pictures and explanations to my web site finally from 2 of my 3 tours of the Ranger Boats factory in 2000 and 2002.

There's 4 pages along with another page reporting on some of the new things for 2003. I tried to make it informative. Even if you don't own a Ranger, you may find some of the general information interesting since it applies to other bass boats too. I hope it helps give other anglers ideas on what to ask about when they purchase their next fishing boat.

It definitely has a Ranger slant because that's what I own and have confidence in, and that's the factory I've been to. Let me know what you think.
http://hometown.aol.com/djkimmel/fishing/buildboat1.htm

[ 01-17-2003, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: djkimmel ]

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
EXCELLENT info Dan!!...Thanks!! I wish I could've toured the factory this past December, but I was tied up at work and couldn't get the time off!! As you may have heard, I am new to the Ranger Pro-Staff and I want to learn as much about the building processes as I can,...I will look you up at one of the shows and we can discuss more of the technical details later,..but
that's a great page on your site!! Thanks again!
Mac

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
As usual a fine job Mr. Kimmel. I am trying to remember how many times a "Ranger Guy" told me there were no chopper guns in the factory....lol....I guess they havent toured there lately! LOL

Mini

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I've heard that a lot of the mfgr's are going back to using them,....because of quality control!
BTW,..that looks like 1 heckuva solid transom!!
Can't wait to get my 520,....will be ordering it next week when I go to the FLW at Okeechobee,..will be working at the Ranger display with Bart Shad,....I will get quite the education there I'm sure!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ranger Pro Staff?!? damn, how do i get in on some of that? out of curiosity, what kind of discount to you get when you are a " pro staff" member? cuz that would be the only way i could buy a bass boat, im just a poor white kid from wixom

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'll say this much Madman,....I'm extremely proud and lucky to be with Ranger's Nat'l ProStaff now!! I've busted my hiney for almost 15years in this business, and it's NOT easy work,.....there's a lot of stuff that a Pro-Staffer has to do to get a PS position as well as being able to keep it and a lot of people don't realize that. It's like any other job,...you get what you deserve and hopefully everytime we make a "change" it's for the better!! I'm also the first to admit that I'm extremely blessed to have a very unique talent that sponsor's recognize immediately!! I can provide them with creative ideas and services that not everybody else can do.
That sets me apart from the crowd and although it makes aquiring sponsorships a little easier for me,..it also means I have to do a lot more for the company than a lot of other "Pro-Staffers" have to do,...but I'm doing something I love to do and it works perfectly for both parties involved! Like Mini said,...my deal is with the factory, and it's confidential, but I've worked extremely hard for many years to get to this level and the rewards are starting to blossom....
Just be willing to do a little more than the next guy and you can get some pretty sweet deals...it just doesn't come "FREE".....Everybody pays a certain price for everything they get,..whether it's monitarily or via services rendered...nothing comes without a price! Good luck and if you have any other questions,..I'd be glad to sit down with you and shoot the bull!!
Mac

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Will do Mark!!...

·
Registered
927 Posts
mac, you are a lucky guy. just to be doing something you love. most people never get to do that. but i would do just about anything to get a job that has anything to do with fishing. i just started fishing tournaments last year, my partner and i did pretty good with nbaa, tho we didnt start til mid summer. but i am looking for a few sponsors this year, nothing big, i am targeting small, un-known companies right now. unlike some of my other friends who think being sponsored by someone means free stuff and cool patches on a shirt, i know that this isnt how the game is played. i want nothing for free, i have always been intersted in fishing new lures and passing information onto my friends. i talk up all the products i use, and most people i fish with end up buyig those products once they see how they perform. the problem i am having right now is i dont really know how to approach companys to ask about sponsorship. so what i am doing right now is just ordering a few baits from them and i plan on fishing them and handig some out and giving the company feedback. i know that its not about winning tournaments, its about what you can do for the company. i feel i can represent any company in a positive manner, so give me some advice. i know this kind of advice isnt cheap, so i owe ya some beers. when i see ya that is.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
...you're doing exactly the right thing now!
Confidence in yourself and a company's products will give you the knowledge and experience to be able to promote it affectively to your friends and strangers alike. People don't like (or won't listen to a BS'r), but someone who really knows their stuff is a pleasure to listen to and to buy from! Guys that search out sponsorships because they think they get "free stuff" won't be in the game long....companies give out "care pkg's" all the time and a lot of guys that get those call themselves sponsored. Not So,...a real pro-staffer, will often be asked to work shows, submit articles for publication, give seminars, actually get payed for their promotional work and most importantly of all....provide feedback to the company via qrtly or annual reports on their products and your suggestions for improvements. A valued pro-staffer will do a LOT more to help the company than just ask for or expect "free stuff". It sounds like you have the right attitude and expectations to make yourself worthy of several good sponsorships.....keep up the effort and don't be affraid to communicate!! Pick up the phone and call your contacts,..thank them for helping you and ask if you can work a few shows or provide some other assistance without any further compensation....that's the kind of thing they'll remember when it comes time to cut or promote their Pro's!!....Give,..give,..give,..and you shall receive!! It's not rocket science....just effort!
Good luck....and I'll take you up on the brewski!
Mac

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mac! I didn't know. I guess I'm working too many hours or just not paying attention. Welcome aboard. You like the 520. Are you going to have your own 'tour' boat? The Scales and Tales custom rig? Would be pretty cool.

I'm jealous already - Bart Schad's pretty good company. I don't know him personally. I see him at some of the events, but he's a busy guy.

You are right about the transom. It's built like a tank and then made one with the boat hull through bonding and additional fiberglassing.

Mini,
The chopper gun is kind of the like the old wood thing. It's only an issue if anglers buy that it's an issue. You have to come up with something in marketing to separate yourself, especially when you're going up against the number one company. Chopper guns allow you to control how much resin you use and also lay a complete layer all at once so there aren't any weak seam-like areas. Also, there are about 9 different types of fiberglass cloth and rope that are hand-laid first in various layers and patterns (corners, the pad, stress spots) before they spray the resin/chopped layers on it to finish the product. You get a consistent product because of the resin to fiberglass control and it bonds with all the hand-laid reinforcement into one, solid part.

Guys should obviously know 1) that what they say is the truth before they state it's fact; 2) the real reason why a process is done the way it is so they give out the right information. How else can we all learn and compare accurately? That's why I go to the factory and ask lots of questions.

Thanks for your feedback. It might be helpful in anyone sees this that has been to another manufacturer's factory and post how they do things the same and/or differently.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Dont forget that a professional resume and portfolio will get alot futher than a phone call or just a letter. Add that to Mac's advice....

Start at the bottom for free and work your hiney off for them (if and only if you believe in them, if you dont it will be obvious). Keep in contact and nuture the relationships. DO NOT BURN BRIDGES IN THIS SPORT! You never know where your "sponsor" contact will be working next year!

Also Mac, make sure you say hello for me to Jack and Bart. I really wish I could make it to Clewiston this year. Had a riot with them last year!

Mini

[ 01-17-2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: John Maniaci ]

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Dan,..great minds think alike!!..LOL..One of the things I'm going to talk to Bart about is a "Scales and Tales" wrap and carpet embroidery..
Would'nt a big ol smilin' bass look cool embroidered into the livewell lid carpet??!!
I've got some drawing's I'm working on to take with me to show them....even if they don't offer a commercial version,..I'd like to inquire about gettin my own boat done anyway!! Need to find out costs and lead time..etc..etc...I'll keep you posted!!
Mac

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mac, I think your Scales and Tales boat would instantly become the best looking team boat out there. That would be cool. I'd be even more jealous...

·
Registered
927 Posts
guys, thanks for the help. the advice you have given me is priceless. i know its going to be a long road but at least its one i dont mind taking
i think the best part about it will be all the friends made along the way. fishing is such a great sport. when i first started fishing tournaments last year i was nervous because i didnt know anyone and had false notions. needless to say, i was wrong. everyone i met last year in nbaa were as freindly as possible. i am looking foward to fishing with new clubs and meeting some of you on the water.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
madman24, there are older articles in the flwoutdoors.com site archives specifically on getting sponsorship with interviews of promotions persons from various companies.

There was a great magazine called Professional Angler, but they stop publishing a couple years ago. Maybe you can find copies of old back issues somewhere still.

Tim Tucker has a new magazine out that is similar. I've only seen a couple sample issues, but I believe he still produces it. It looked interesting although a little different (more opinions) than Pro Angler. Check out his site for more info if it interests you.
http://www.timtuckeroutdoors.com/insider.p...818207.73.170.7

1 - 19 of 19 Posts