Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that were open for business on clair. Sat. June 19th.

What are you going to first use.

I'm sending a 1/8 oz. plain ball head jig, barb pinched for my safety coupled with a pumpkin Gulp grub, 3in. Power Bait. Tied direct to 4lb. FireLine wraped around a Spirex 1000 reel attached to the Med. lite FireFlex 6 ft. Spinning rod, cork handle.

h2o<--says It's almost Go Time gang..

·
Registered
75 Posts
As my name say; I will be using a Gitzit tube jig. It will of course be pumpkin colored dipped in my my favorite dipping sauce, Minnow by bait mate.
When I go for the side dish, it will be a Shad Rap crankbait; flourecent green. If I don't get the main target, I alsways pick up one of them toothy critters on these( walleye, pike or musky).

·
Registered
280 Posts
i will start with early morning top water with a jitterbug around the seawalls and docks, then to a smoke salt/pepper kalins grub, 4" with a 1/8 ounce jig head.
If the drift is good, i will put one out,let it drift. and drop down a crappie rig with crawlers on it.

if no luck i will cast crawfish colored raps in the bays and around the points..

good luck to all, hey guess what, saturday is not only opening day, its my birthday, and not a year has gone by since i was 9 that i didnt fish on my birthday, rain or shine!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just got off the lake about 7pm. Drifted for a couple of hours between 12 and 13 mile roads jiggin with a silver 1/8 ounce head and a black grub body. Caught and released a couple of nice smallies but was hoping to pull in another 19 inch walleye like I did the other day. Water was pretty rough though, winds were blowing out of the NE kicking up some pretty big waves. Still had a good time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm still not sure but I better figure it out quick. I just stayed with a friend in VT 2 weeks ago and fished Lake Champlain. This weekend I'm returning the favor as he is coming here to fish Clair.

We'll probably start in Anchor Bay throwing some top water plugs and spinner baits. We may throw some bucktails too because I would like to see him get a nice Musky while he's here. He fishes Champlain 3 days a week so even though it's opening day, he's been catching smallies for a several weeks now.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Hey Marke,
Don't forget the 1oz. Brass Red-eye!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Its funny timing, I was just listing out which lures I plan on having on each rod for a tournament Saturday morning. I read about the topwater and couldn't believe I had forgotten that - should be the first thing that hits the water for me! I decided to stay legal and not prefish so its going to be crowded on the front deck of the boat until I narrow down the best bite and put some rods away. No pre-fishing is tuff! But the anticipation of opening day on St. Clair is amazing. I can't possibly concentrate on anything else. Man I love smallmouth fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
i only plan on throwing one lure on st clair. one lure for the whole season out there. the helicopter lure. remember those? thats all i fish with now. maybe i dont catch as many fish as the rest of you, but it makes a cool noise and makes me smile

madman himself

·
Registered
88 Posts
It really doesn't matter what lure you use, as long as it is tied to a pocket fisherman being thrown from the front dock of a Force powered Bayliner that was pulled to the ramp by an el camino.

·
Registered
397 Posts
QUOTE(madman24 @ Jun 17 2004, 06:00 AM)i only plan on throwing one lure on st clair. one lure for the whole season out there. the helicopter lure. remember those? thats all i fish with now. maybe i dont catch as many fish as the rest of you, but it makes a cool noise and makes me smile

madman himself

Funny you mention the Helicopter Lure. My wife had a yard sale last weekend and while digging through some junk we found the old VHS Tape that came with them featuring Roland Martin.

So if have problems catching fish on the helicopter lure, call me. I'll lend you the video....

Just to clarify, I DID NOT BUY THEM!!!! They were a gift from my sister-in-law.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absoutely the Banjo Minnow. Indish I commend you on your lure of choice. I have outfished many individuals using the Banjo. Granted I prefer top/shallow water presentations with it and will use other lures for deeper presentations, but it's a top performer for me when the water clarity is good and the fish are shallow.

Wishin4fishin

·
Registered
927 Posts
wishin4fishin, you have outfished many people with the banjo minnow but were any of those people using a chartruese helicopter lure?!?!?
once i get the secret tips of roland martin video from coast we will have a challenge. i will be armed with the copter, you with the banjo, indish will use the flying lure, and eric smith will no doubt be throwing THE PINK thing. $10 a guy, winner takes all ( including the lures )

woo hoo, anyone have the chuck woolery motominnow? your welcome to join the fun.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
Brian...I actually had a chuck woolery motominnow. It was a gift from my mother, who bought it for something like $1. I gave it to the neighbor boy, but I might be able to borrow it if we are having a banjo minnow/helicopter lure/moto minnow challenge.

·
Registered
280 Posts
geeeees maybe just try a worm and a hook, fish probably havent seen just that in a while!!!

have to try my glow in the dark, rattling, vibrating, sonar sending, suspended, blinking, battery operated, rechargeable, wind-up, deep running scented minnow.. only 29.95 plus 9.95 s/h, money back gaurentee (minus s/h)

see you at the scale!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weather forecast for opening day bass on LSC.

Saturday 6/19 Forecast in Detail for ROYAL OAK, MI

Day
Not as warm with times of clouds and sun
High 71° F
Maximum RealFeel® 71° F
RealFeel Shade® 67° F
Winds NNW at 13 mph
Wind Gusts 25 mph
Maximum UV 7
Thunderstorm Probability 0%
Amount of Precipitation 0.00 in
Amount of Rain 0.00 in
Amount of Snow 0 in
Hours of Precipitation 0
Hours of Rain

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Madman24,

I might have to take you up on that challenge ($10.00 per man contest entry, winner take all) some day in the near future. That's how confident I am with the Banjo. I don't know the lake that well so I suggest we fish together in the same spots (yours/mine or both doesn't matter). Point being we match and compare the lures up to each other, not our lake knowledge. You'll have me at a dis-advantage there (lake knowl.).

If we get enough people interested we could set up a match like some of the tournaments. X amount of spots designated for fishing and we all rotate thru them on a time scale, everybody uses their favorite lure all day.....Who ever catches the most fish wins!! Keep it simple.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the banjo minnow big kit, they really work great unbelivably grrrr 8. Can anyone tell me how to keep the minnows on better than the instructions say. I lose the minnow on almost every fish that's caught. And there expensive.

h2o<--says thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts