Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Traveled for the first time to Hardy Pond, one of the 6 legal spring bass lakes that have had the special season for 15 years. Went with an 'expert' on the water and cameraguy. There was maybe 40 bass boats on the lake. We got there shortly after 7AM and there were already 20 or more.

We caught about 20 bass bass, 3 largemouths up to 2 1/2 pounds, and the rest smallies up to 4 pounds. Most smallies were 2 pounds and up. We caught most over 10 feet down to 30 feet deep. A few were moving shallow later in the day.

We caught some small walleyes and a few pike too, but that's not the main story. The main story is the bass were numerous, and all were healthy slabs. We saw other boats catching bass. According to our local expert, the numbers of boats are consistently high like this and have been for years.

Seems like the lake is okay after all these years of spring pressure, but I hate to see so many guys piling onto one (or 6) lake(s) anyway when there are 10,994 other lakes (not even counting the Great Lakes) they could be fishing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How about opening up some of the rivers?. We have the Kalamazoo River over on the west side which is full of smallies. The only problem is the PCB's left over from the paper industry days. You cannot eat anything that lives in the river permanantly. If you cannot eat the fish it seems a waste that you could not fish for them year around. It would be only a catch and release fishery and with the current it would be fishable all year. You probably have a few rivers on the east side which are like this also. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Any idea that could lead to more bass fishing in Michigan is a good idea to me.

I heard from another bass club today that voted unanimously in favor of a season change. I still haven't heard from a little over 20 federation clubs and no independent clubs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts