Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember (vaguely) as a child my father took me fishing to Lake okeechobee in December and we were looking for bedding fish. I have read recently that people are seeing some bass with eggs (guntersville). Can some tell me how often bass typically spawn up here in the North country. Is it normal or weather related.

Thanks, Bill and the kids

·
Registered
38 Posts
QUOTE(Bill McCalaster @ Aug 20 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I remember (vaguely) as a child my father took me fishing to Lake okeechobee in December and we were looking for bedding fish. I have read recently that people are seeing some bass with eggs (guntersville). Can some tell me how often bass typically spawn up here in the North country. Is it normal or weather related.

Thanks, Bill and the kids

They all spawn once a year every spring. Depending on the water temp they will usually spawn sometime in May maybe earlier all depends on the water temp and moon. Smallies will spawn in a little colder water than largemouth usually. They will spawn from high 50's to mid 60's. I usually see them done when it gets around 65 degrees. Largemouth will spawn any where from low 60's to high 60's. They usually spawn in groups so dont think that they will just all spawn at once.
Alot of this also has to do with the moon.A full moon will draw the fish shallower different groups might come up during the full moon.

You will usually find these fish on shallow flats, up by docks, sand bars ,etc.. on some type of hard bottom. You will usually see a dark spot or light spot depending on what structure they are spawning on. That will be there bed were they lay and protect the eggs. Females will lay them then males will protect the bed when females leave.

You have to remember when trying to catch them they are not feeding they are protecting there hatch. So you want to throw your lure (Tubes, Jigs, Hula grub, Craw etc..) behind them and drag it into the bed. They might snap at it or pick it up and move it so you better be ready Also it might take a couple tries so dont expect to catch one the second you get your lure in the bed. A good pair of polarized glasses helps.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I personally believe that bass spawn late into August......All Bass do not Spawn at once....I am far from a biologist but do a google search there are plenty of articles that support my thinking and what I have seen on the water...

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Aug 21 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I personally believe that bass spawn late into August......All Bass do not Spawn at once....I am far from a biologist but do a google search there are plenty of articles that support my thinking and what I have seen on the water...

I'm with you. A few years ago I caught a 3lb largemouth on a bed at the end of July. The majority of the fish spawn early, but they definitely spawn later. We pretty much see the ones that do their thing up shallow, but I believe they also spawn deeper where we can't see them.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Aug 21 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Aug 21 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I personally believe that bass spawn late into August......All Bass do not Spawn at once....I am far from a biologist but do a google search there are plenty of articles that support my thinking and what I have seen on the water...

I'm with you. A few years ago I caught a 3lb largemouth on a bed at the end of July. The majority of the fish spawn early, but they definitely spawn later. We pretty much see the ones that do their thing up shallow, but I believe they also spawn deeper where we can't see them.

Yep. Nor do they all spawn every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.