1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading north on the third weekend in July. Lake conditions are as follows;
spring fed 125 acre lake
crystal clear can see 30 feet down no problem
bass hang close to shore in 1 to 50 fow (lake gets to 100 fow)
see tons and tons of pigs in fallen trees while snorkeling
fish are spooky
rocky or muck bottom
use to kill um with live crayfish, but crawdad's seemed to have vanished. use to catch the crayfish at night.

What would be your program to get these fish?

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Well, lemme see, bass like crayfish, if real ones aren't availble, soft plastic should do pretty well.Fake craws or tubes, Texas rigged and dropped in the fallen trees, would be one of the first steps for me. Texas rigged worms would be another thing to try. Spooky fish, slow down the presentation, painfully slow if you have to.
Those rocky areas sound like a prime area for a crankbait, again with sppoky fish, I'd start with a non-rattle type first.
Evening and early morning sounds like topwater time, and I'd start by throwing a jointed black/silver Rapala, again start off fishing it slowly, and bump up the action if they aren't hitting.
Let the fish tell you what they want.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I fish a spring fed lake up past Alpena that is gin clear (deepest spot is 30') & loaded with smallies & has walleye, perch, & a few pike. 3" Berkley Power Grubs rigged on a 1/4 oz darterhead jig fished on & near the bottom is what catches the most for me. I like pumpkin colored grubs but you can also go with colors that match the bottom. If the Mayflies are hatching try the shallows in the evening about an hour or so before sunset & use jerkbaits (floating). I've had some AWESOME fishing doing this on that clear lake that I fish. It's great catching a fish that you can see.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here is how I would fish this lake:

Head out right after the wife makes a great breakfast so you lots of energy for a day of fishing. Then keep trying everything that you have in your tackle box until just before dinner time then return home to the great meal that your wife cooked for you and after you finish eating retire to the campfire with a few cold beers and sit there and tell stories of the day fishing event.

I think that should do it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Light line (6lb floro), long casts and be quiet in the boat. Maybe dropshot the wood area where you see them when diving. They can't resist the lure in their face just shaking away in front of them. Stay with natural colors and no need for rattles in your lures. If it is that clear those fish are sight feeding all the way. I would stay with soft plastics during the day and a topwater at dawn and dusk but keep it moving so they can't get a good look at it.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 22 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>live bait on a circle hook would be my route , especailly on inland clear water

i second that use big minnows 3"golden shiners on a slip bobber if you can find them..

·
LSCN Sponsor since 10/06
161 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 22 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 22 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>live bait on a circle hook would be my route , especailly on inland clear water

i second that use big minnows 3"golden shiners on a slip bobber if you can find them..

We have beautiful goldies the bass are going wild over, some out of town guys came in and bought 20 dozen over the weekend for one day and 20 dozen the next.

We got em if you need em

Golden Shiners on ultra light gear 4-6lb test you should catch em till your arm falls off and have a blast doing it, thats fun fishing, usually just about non stop with the goldies

Jimmy's Boats & Baits
37934 Jefferson
Harrison Twp. MI 48045
586-329-3811
jimmysboatsandbaits.com

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Get_The_Net @ Jun 22 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Light line (6lb floro), long casts and be quiet in the boat. Maybe dropshot the wood area where you see them when diving. They can't resist the lure in their face just shaking away in front of them. Stay with natural colors and no need for rattles in your lures. If it is that clear those fish are sight feeding all the way. I would stay with soft plastics during the day and a topwater at dawn and dusk but keep it moving so they can't get a good look at it.

Good advice. Also try a jerkbait with 6lb flouro. Natural colors and work it with LONG casts, hard jerks and long pauses. Kalin grubs on a light jig (1/8oz) frished deep and slow (same as a tube). At times let it get hung in the sand grass and wiggle it. The let it sit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 23 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Get_The_Net @ Jun 22 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Light line (6lb floro), long casts and be quiet in the boat. Maybe dropshot the wood area where you see them when diving. They can't resist the lure in their face just shaking away in front of them. Stay with natural colors and no need for rattles in your lures. If it is that clear those fish are sight feeding all the way. I would stay with soft plastics during the day and a topwater at dawn and dusk but keep it moving so they can't get a good look at it.

Good advice. Also try a jerkbait with 6lb flouro. Natural colors and work it with LONG casts, hard jerks and long pauses. Kalin grubs on a light jig (1/8oz) frished deep and slow (same as a tube). At times let it get hung in the sand grass and wiggle it. The let it sit.

This method works really well...when I fish on a lake similar to this one we use 6lb floro with a texas rig and berkley power bait black turtle worms and they were hitting those strong....going up there again toorrow so I will repost and let you know if they are still hitting that way...

·
Registered
215 Posts
If the lake gets nice and calm near dark try some top water fishing. Poppers and jitter bug's will do the trick. I have alot of success off these and it LOADS of fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You mentioned there is a rocky bottom. i would slowly work a jig with a crawdad trailer near ledges rock piles and other crayfish looking structure. Dont forget crawfish molt, so match the color to those found in the lake. A texas rigged worm in the brush would be a good option too just make sure your line is strong enough.Also try to find where the springs are in the lake. they add current to the lake and during hot weather may attract fishing looking to cool off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts