Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
801 Posts
Thought Id put this out since I get several inquiries a year of how to get into tournament fishing.

First off their is several great Bass guides on Lk St Clair including Gerry Gostenik, Jose Garza, Capt Doug, Jon Bondy Art Ferguson and Wayne Carpenter just to name a few that I would highley recomend, wether you own a boat and just would like to get some inside local knowledge to use on your next boating trip or you dont own a boat and want to get out for a day of world class fishing on one of if not the best bass lakes in the country a guided trip is a good way to get out and they usualy let you bring a kid or two for a small or sometimes no additional charge.
we are truely blessed to have such an awesome lake right here under our nose, make sure you dont let the hot spots pass you by...most of you have no idea how good the bass fishing realy is here.

If your more of the competetive type I recomend you enter some local bass tournaments, they are not hard to enter evan if you do not own a boat, all you need is a couple fishing poles, a decent tackle box rain gear and a life jacket and your set for a 8 hour day of fishing with some of the best anglers in the country and YOU WILL learn alot in a day.

As a non boat owner you would need to enter a pro/am or a draw event and the entry fee ranges from $70 to $300 plus a $25 a year membership fee in either FLW, B.A.S.S. or ABA.

ABA (American Bass Anglers) is $70 per tournament, they are very friendley and would be a great place to start becouse they will help walk you through the whole tournament process and not treat you like a dummy.
There is 6 regulerly scheduled events plus a two day championship, ABA is a national organization with many benifits of membership but I wont get into the extra benifits in this post but it is a small group of both boaters and non boaters that fish Lk St Clair and several inland lakes, all you would have to do is call the TX director and they will help you from there but to sum it up you simply show up to the ramp and draw your boater or co angler and go fishing but I would pre enter just to make sure theres an open spot which their usualy is.

http://www.americanbassanglers.com/distric....php?district=7

FLW's Bass Fishing League (BFL) would be the next step up from ABA and any member of FLW can enter their TX just by sighning up.
In BFL's you must pre register usualy months in advance to make sure you get a spot and their entry is $100 for co anglers and $200 for boaters.
The tournaments are professionaly run by the same people and weigh trailers as the big leagues TX's you see on tv and you will fish with some of the best in the state, as a co you simply pay your $100 and get 8 hours of fishing....pretty cheap guided trip if you ask me and you have a good chance of getting your $ back and then some.
There is a pre meeting/partner pairing the night before the TX and your partner will then arrange a meeting spot for you in the morning.

http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/schedule.cfm?bT...r=2010&ln=0

The last pro/am is the biggest in town this year called the Bassmaster Open, any B.A.S.S. member can enter, its $300 for co anglers and $1000 for boaters to enter, the co anglers 1st place prize is a new boat and the boaters prize is $45.000 cash.
The opens run similer to the BFL's with a pre meeting/pairing the night before and you will need to enter months before...like now, in all of these tournaments the co's are recomended to give the boater at least $20 for gas and that is usualy acceptable and you do not need to exceed $50.

http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdo...itRiver_SOE.pdf

The average guided 8 hour trip is over $350, with a guided trip your tackle may be included and you will get a more hands on experience, in a TX you will be taken to that anglers best spots so either one is great.
Considering the high prices of boats, maintence, insurance and the learning curve Id say entering a few TX's or hiring guides may be a cheaper and more productive fishing year for most anglers and you dont have the financial burdon of owning and maintaining a boat.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask either here or by PM, there is no dumb questions so ask away.

Skip Johnson

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yea, but one problem! You could get paired with someone who wants to fish for largemouth in the clinton river LOL! It happens man. You got the whole freakin lake and bam largemouth in the river. Other than that or being paired with a tool and or a sight fishing TX it's a good deal I GUESS.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Jan 5 2010, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You may draw some tool, but you also may draw Steve Clapper.

That would be cool. He could teach you a lot about smallie fishing.

801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive seen some "tools" have some pretty good fishin in the clinton river and your just as likeley to draw a guy that knows his stuff and may just become a friend for life.
ALOT of friendships are started through TX's.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I drew Joe Balog for the super BFL a few years back and we were both in first after day one, so we did it again for a second day. Fun times, interesting weekend! I won some pretty good cabbage too!

BFLs are a very good deal (most of the time).

Anyone who wants the scoop on being a BFL co-angler can PM me and I'll let you know exactly what you can expect (good and bad)

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTEThe average guided 8 hour trip is over $350, with a guided trip your tackle may be included and you will get a more hands on experience, in a TX you will be taken to that anglers best spots so either one is great.
I'm actually quite a bit cheaper than that right now. My rates will have to be bumped back up a little bit to $300 for 8hrs, $250 for 6 hrs, sometime this week. But if you call before the rates are changed on my site you will get the lower rates.

As for the tournament deal, alot of guys enter just for the guided day on the lake. Last years Stren tournament was (I believe) only $300 for the co-anglers. Most of them got two days of fishing, with a few getting a third day as well. My partner on the second day was actually a guide from Texas that came up just for the chance to fish for smallies. He knew that it was cheaper than hiring a guide for two days, and he ended up drawing me anyway. He had a blast, catching alot of fish and weighing in just over 15lbs, after weighing zero the first day. He also hooked (and lost....) his first muskie ever. A great time for only $150 for the day.

Good post Skip.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have fished with some of the biggest names on Erie/LSC in draw tournaments and I have also fished with some anglers that are just starting out as boaters or just take a more laid back approach to tourney fishing.....

To be perfectly honest I have had my best results fishing behind the less experienced boaters.....I believe the pro level anglers are so in tune with what they are doing that they take me away from what I am better at....The last tournament that I fished on LSC I fished with probably one of the biggest names out there and it was trolling motor on high all day searching for fish....He put together a nice limit on Crankbaits and DS fish that he saw on the graph but I had a hard time from the back working that style.....I did learn alot that day even though my results stunk...

I cashed a check on my first BFL on LSC a few years ago fishing out of an Aluminum boat with probably the oldest guy fishing the BFLs...We had a blast....

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that you can't always base your "Co angler" experience on who you draw......There are a$$holes out there for sure but sometimes if you put "your" time in and don't look so much to be guided you can talk the boater into fishing one of your areas......It worked pretty well for me last year on the LSC BFL.......
..(I drew a great open minded boater willing to try some new water)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I never thought of it that way. But it's still too expensive for a college kid with no money
I'm sticking to my club tournaments for now, they're basically free, and still a lot of fun. A friend wants me to compete in some NBAA tournaments this summer, so we'll see how that goes. But I do eventually plan on fishing some BFL's. I just don't think I'm ready financially or as an angler to make that step.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I can attest to what a few others have said. In 2007, I was in the FLW walleye tournament as a co-angler. I figured 3 days of fishing with a possible 4th (for placing in the top ten) was well worth the $400. Plus the chance to win some money to boot. Got lucky and had the top weight the first day (and for the whole tournament) and 2 so-so days but still was in 5th place on day 3. Had a good day on day 4 and ended up 3rd. One 3lb fish for the week missing for a 1st place finish and $10,000. As it was I still got $3500, 4 days of fishing with 4 different guys all for $400. Not a bad weekend. And learned a couple of things too.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Jan 6 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can attest to what a few others have said. In 2007, I was in the FLW walleye tournament as a co-angler. I figured 3 days of fishing with a possible 4th (for placing in the top ten) was well worth the $400. Plus the chance to win some money to boot. Got lucky and had the top weight the first day (and for the whole tournament) and 2 so-so days but still was in 5th place on day 3. Had a good day on day 4 and ended up 3rd. One 3lb fish for the week missing for a 1st place finish and $10,000. As it was I still got $3500, 4 days of fishing with 4 different guys all for $400. Not a bad weekend. And learned a couple of things too.
Nice job man can't beat that!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Man I need to learn how to fish So I can go and win some money. Then I wouldn't have to call this marvin fellow on the phone every week. He seems a bit cold over the phone, and not any fun to talk to.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jan 6 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is Mr. Carpenter a guide now too????

I was thinking the same thing. I see he's at the Fishing Show again this year & he's one of the speakers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts