Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the Bassmaster Classic weigh-in on Friday and Sunday. I didn't think the coverage was that great. On Friday, I think they only showed maybe 7 guys weigh in. I really like the shoot-out style format of FLW weigh-ins. Plus, FLW shows more on the water footage. The only thing cool about the 2 days I saw was Iaconelli's 7lb bass, that was pretty sweet. I could tolerate all his screaming for a 7lber. What did you guys think about the coverage?

·
Registered
927 Posts
i thought the coverage was ok considering they only get an hour a day to televise it.

its cool that tak won but i would have rather seen rojas win it. or even martens.

i dont understand why they cut the shot of quinn giving whatever it was to fish fishburne. fish gave him some hoop earings the day before and quinn was giving returning the favor with a gift of his own on sunday but they cut and went to some on the water footage.

ikes 7 lber was awesome. that guy is a big fish magnet. i dont understand how he does it. but at least we didnt have to watch him breakdance this year ( other than in the 03 highlights they showed every 5 minutes ).

those guys come off the water with such great attitudes even if they didnt catch fish.

brauer should have won it in my opinion. i would have bet money that he would win. denny that is.

madman himself

·
Registered
216 Posts
Total CRAP! I can't believe all the time I wasted in front of the TV this weekend.

The coverage had nothing to do with fishing, just typical media headlines, created controversy and "news flashes". Wow, Aaron Martens is a troll under the bridge. News flash...IKE'S BEEN DQ'd!!!! So what he had a one pound dead fish. And again... IKE's been stung by wasps!!!! Lets spend an hour covering that! Oh yeah, can't forget Kermit the frog! and Quinn fishing 50 different spots per day with no detail of what those spots are.

Nothing on the different patterns and various lures used. I am sure this detail is purposely left out so their future magazine articles won't be old news, but why else watch the Classic?? As always, I probably would have learned more getting on the water than I did sitting in front of the TV.

BTW...Did anyone else get the impression that Aaron Martens is a whiny little California born brat????

·
Registered
467 Posts
I doubt many of the anglers would want their #1 pattern or lure televised at all considering the tournament was still going on, so it doesn't surprise me one bit that there wasn't any talk about them (although Martens' poniehead and kermit were talked about quite a bit as were general techniques like Denny's 'flipping' a jig). I would have loved to seen more on the water stuff shown as well, but really, how much time and resources does ESPN have to edit 8 hours of film for 53 guys and broadcast it the same day? Overall, I wasn't that impressed with any of it either, but, I ended up watching it anyways.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought the coverage was GREAT, Bill Clements, Jerry McKinnis and Tommy Sanders did well. Mark Menendez is a natural in front of the camera and Kim Bain is definitely easy on the eyes with a nice aussie accent. She fishes BASS West and FLW on coangler side.

There were alot of commercials but look at the superbowl ??

Ike's off limit ploy on day 2 was a media stunt by him, he didn't have any fish so he used that to get some attention. Also, when he handed trophy over, Did he whisper in Takohori's ear to bow to him ?? Ike definitely knows how to market himself and his sponsors.

I'm glad Takahiro won, he'll be considered a god back in Japan and make a ton of money. We'll see if he can win the FLW championship in 2 weeks for 500K, that would be something.

I had a great weekend watching the coverage,

Ckev

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I didnt get to see much of the coverage because I in the arena. I will tell you that to see it in person took over 4.5 hours on Sunday......WAY TO LONG!

Quinn gave Fish a nose ring.

"Tak" is Fish's word for Takahiro. Everyone else calls him T.O. I was supposed to room with him last night,m but he had to ruin it and win the tournament....lol I am happy for him. FLW AOY and Classic Champ are now from Japan....look out USA!

Brauer would have won it of he had a decent day 2. But so would have KVD and others.

Mini

·
Registered
154 Posts
I Thought the coverage was good,but one observation ,Toyota is the new truck sponser..Ford and Chrysler were sleeping on this one.In front of every beautfull bass boat is a beautfull truck.And a fisherman from Japan wins the classic.Hmmmm

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
QUOTE(MadWags @ Aug 2 2004, 06:08 PM)Shaw Grigsby without his hat on looks like Hitler from a distance.

that's funny....my kids think he looks like MINI!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
QUOTE(MadWags @ Aug 2 2004, 05:08 PM)Shaw Grigsby without his hat on looks like Hitler from a distance.

Gets my vote for post of the week award!!!

Followed by Shandogs (but I have to ask, is there anyone the kids DOESN'T think looks like Mini???)...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(djkimmel @ Aug 3 2004, 01:56 AM)QUOTE(MadWags @ Aug 2 2004, 05:08 PM) Shaw Grigsby without his hat on looks like Hitler from a distance.

Gets my vote for post of the week award!!!

Followed by Shandogs (but I have to ask, is there anyone the kids DOESN'T think looks like Mini???)...
Yes Dan, that would be you....lol

Well Shaw would have to get a new sponsor....maybe Pizza Hut or Burger King to even remotely start to look like me.

That reminds me, next time I see him I will get a picture taken with him.....he such a little guy AND he has has hair! I dont know where the resemblence comes in....

Mini

·
Registered
289 Posts
QUOTE(MadWags @ Aug 2 2004, 05:08 PM)Shaw Grigsby without his hat on looks like Hitler from a distance.

By God, yes he does... needs a new hair and mustashe stylist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts