Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent an hour out of my time to watch the Classic today. All I can say is what a horrible job ESPN did.

In all the hype that ESPN built up to be the "Super Bowl"' the "Grand Slam", the "Masters" of bass fishing......they sure didn't deliver. At least in previous years they spent the first 50 minutes actually on the water and had a 10 minute pretty exciting weigh in. Instead they decided to drag out the weigh ins (Fri,Sat, and Sun) for a full hour with 30 second clips of the anglers missing fish. I thought it was a let down!!

BTW: Did anybody else think that some of the guys may have thought that the scales were wrong? I'm sure they weren't but a couple of guys sure seemed puzzled by their weight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I couldn't agree more stevie1. What a terrible show. Not to mention the first 40 minutes was so full of commercials that I couldn't even get into it. What ever happened to showing us a little fishing now and then? They are more concerned about making a huge production out of it than they are at showing us what we want to watch. I only caught Sunday's coverage and I was wondering if the other days were just as bad. It sounds like they were. As far as the scales were concerned, I was a little shocked a few times. Especially The winner. When Iaconelli brought his fish up I thought to myself, finally a decent bag of fish. I was surprised when it came up under 11 pounds. A few others shocked me as well. I too doubt they were off but it was deceiving at times. On top of all of that you throw on the fact that it was a tough day of fishing in general and you get a pretty lousy show. Knowing how this site is I wouldn't be surprised if you just started a post that will have 40 responses ripping this show.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was less than impressed as well with Sundays show. But I too missed the other two shows so will reserve overall judgement.
If it wasn't for Mike's reaction to his final fish on the water there would have been little entertainment value.
Congrats Mike!

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you did notice between the first and last days, they changed the way the fish were weighed. First day they were in bags, last day no bags and a clear lid. Some guys did have some unusual expression as the weight was displayed. You guys also have to remember that this was the "live" version, and that they will have another Classic show at a later date with alot more on the water footage.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
It wasn't the worst coverage ever. The last 2 years, I believe they just showed the weigh-n. Snooze. But they have been forced to change because of the boys down the road....

Given the fact that it was a live event, I thought it was actually pretty good. Think about how difficult it must have been to ferry video back and forth with such little time. As Jeff said, expect more on the water coverage later. At least I hope, otherwise it will be a disappointment.

The fish did look deciving. Sitting on the scales they look much bigger, but once they held them up you could see there actual wieght.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went fishing all three days of the show but thanks to PVR (TIVO) i watched all three days. I too thought it could use some work. If it was a 2 hour event with maybe the first hour focusing on the "Power Fishing !!" and the last hour the weight-in it would have been easier to watch. But I wonder if they would give it 2 hours of air-time. Anyway, glad to see Mike win the thing! And what if Kline would have won it then he would have been the first too win it and get shot at by some bayou folk! Glad nobody got hurt! Good Fishing! Ray

·
Registered
83 Posts
Watched all three shows and was just as bored as everyone else. If it hadn't been the classic and just another tournament, I wouldn't have even watched. The show brought back memories of shows years ago when the majority was weigh-ins. Nothing beats on the water action and I hope future shows will show that.
Someone also mentioned the FLW format and BASS conforming to that style. I hope not because I believe it is equally as boring. Show me casting, hook-sets and flippin bass into the boat and I'll be happy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Personally I thought the shows were good. The purpose was not to show on the water coverage but the emphasis was on the weigh-in. The Classic Show will be on ESPN this weekend I believe.

I cannot even imagine what Gary Klein felt when he was shot at while out on the water. Also, Harold Allen being run off of two spots by air boats.

Bring the Classic up here BASS.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
There were two helicopters for ESPN. One was dedicated to running back footage from the water so it could be edited and aired for the show. There wasnt much time for the editing process considering the weather and distances travelled. There were massive thunderstorms all three days in Venice.

Mini

·
Registered
62 Posts
I realize that the show was geared around the way-in. I think some of us just thought that the time between showing the guys at the scale could have been put together better. I'm not sure exactly what they could have done, but I found it hard to watch. They spend so much time on commercials that they have to rush the guys while they're on stage. I saw at least twice where a guy was about to say something but was interrupted by Fishburn to show some on the water footage (which is great). But when the footage is over he is ushered away without the chance to finish his thought. I would have much rather heard the anglers thoughts than some of the other things shown. I also understand that there has to be commercials; I just thought their spacing was very bad. The show just felt too interrupted for me. Oh well, no big deal. Even a bad bassmaster classic weigh-in is better than a good other show. I think I'm just bummed because I wasn't able to fish this weekend and thought I would get my fix with the Classic on TV. I know the taped version of the fishing footage will be much better. Although, with the number of fish caught, we may have already seen them all!!

That shooting incident is unbelievable. I need to do some surfing to see what became of that. Gary actually said that the guy was aiming at him as well. Not even a warning shot. That's attempted murder. I was kind of shocked at how downplayed that was. Could you imagine if Tiger Woods got shot at during a Major Championship? It would probably shut down the event.

Looks like those airboats are their version of jet ski's. One thing that wasn't clear to me was the footage of an airboat going passed Gary Clien. They acted like the guy was a lunatic. It seemed to me that the guy passed right thru without causing a problem. It's not like they can stay 200 ft away in that lake. Maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that the shows themselves were tough to watch. My 4 yr old kept wanting to watch but they would weigh-in 1 angler and then off to a commercial. My attention span is a little longer but not much. lol

The Gary Klein shooting I think is being downplayed to much. Its ridiculous and some of the other stories coming out like the Harold Allen story and some others...just a shame. For these guys to work so hard this season and have it ruined by a couple of cajuns.

I also noticed when Ike talked about the motor problems they quickly cut him off. My wife noticed it to and said the Mercury didnt want him talking anymore Optimax issues. As I have had to many to mention with mine.

I would like to see Detroit push to try and get the Classic. With everything else going on in Detroit I think it would be huge. Hold the weigh-in at Ford Field and launch them out of Elizabeth Park. Detroit has everything BASS is looking for. Minus the cajuns.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Ike runs a Yamaha....his problems were boat problems involving rigging (battery wasnt tied down properly).....

BASS and FLW will probably not come back to Detroit due to the fact that the local Chambers of Commerce will not pay them. Both tours bring substantial amounts of money onto the local economy and both are heavily recruited by other states and cities that are willing to pay. This is all what I have heard from other Pro's......the fisherman want to come back...

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Why don't some of you local guys start taking the Chamber people fishing or something. Between keeping our behavior at it's best and getting to know the right people, we are probably the only chance to convince and edumicate the local movers and shakers about this. I don't blame BASS or FLW in preferring to go where they are appreciated and valued.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(RK4BASSIN @ Aug 13 2003, 09:52 AM)

Sorry I could not watch the classis, I was not wearing my "BUSH" beer patch............maybe next year........

Yeah and I here FLW has plans to black out their TV coverage to Ranger owners only. The power of the dollar...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts