Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I missed an exciting week or so here in LSC.net territory. I was off fishing in my first B.A.S.S. event in Buffalo, NY. It was an awesome experience. Of course I'm not pleased with how I finished, but there are 199 of that feel the same way and only 1 that doesn't! The fishing was deceivingly tough. Scanning the weights and limits brought in, it would appear to be easy pickings. But for most of us the bite was slow and subtle. With a number of anglers failing to live up to their commitment and leaving before the event even started due to poor practice. For the most part the fish were scattered in deep water (although I did get a few on topwater in practice in shallow water). Changing wind patterns made the event that much more challenging. I spent 1 day of practice in the Niagara River, mainly due to the 6+' waves on Sunday and the other 3 days scouring the lake. I had never been to the Eastern basin and it was good challenge for me to locate and pattern fish. One of my first observations was the gobies. They are much more abundant and larger than here in the Western Basin. Looking through the underwater camera, there were literally thousands of them covering every square inch of the bottom. A few that I snagged were pushing 8" long. At the pre-meeting it was stressed for us to kill any gobies we caught as they "are ruining the fishery." There words not mine. I found this somewhat comical. Killing a couple of foul hooked gobies a day is not going make one bit of difference to the population. On to the fishing, my best area was 24-26' bar that was surrounded by 30+' of water. Almost all of my fish were caught "sight fishing". Using the graph to mark them and then vertical jigging them up. When the wind laid down the fish would move off the bar and suspend off the drop. I could literally follow them with my sonar. The lack of wind was my biggest challenge during the competition. Having high winds through the 3 days of practice on the lake I was unable to put together a solid strategy for the suspended fish during the tournament. Leaving me with only a few hours a day to work my pattern effectively. All and all it was an awesome experience and I learned a heck of a lot in just one short week. B.A.S.S. does an excellent job running their tournaments, especially with the weigh-ins. Of course I also have to recognize the support from my family, making the 5+hr drive on Friday to be there for me during my final weigh-in. Just incredible. Below are couple pics from the Day 2 weigh-in. Congratulations to local angler Art Ferguson for finishing strong on Day 3 and capturing 2nd place. I'm looking forward to getting back out on St. Clair. See you all soon.

Me pointing out my faithfull following!!

2 fatties from Day 2, my biggest was a 3-14 from Day1 (not shown)

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Great job Alex. I knew you would be doing BASS events soon, after all your boat company lines up better with them. Remind me to introduce you to a few people during next years boat shows.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is defianetly a difference in the boat makes from the Everstarts to the B.A.S.S. events! I don't feel like such an outsider at B.A.S.S. During the Everstarts (with my Triton) it's like driving a Chevy down in Dearborn! You get a few looks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
From my point of view, it was a great weekend for Canadians. The winners of both the pro and amateur sides were from Ontario.
Also, one of our All-Star (just for you Mini) anglers, Windsor's own Jon Bondy, cashed a check for a top 30 (maybe 31st) finish.
Alex, best wishes to you in your future BASS efforts.
Tim J.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Good job Alex!!....It's very impressive to see how well those weigh-in's are run......I couldn't believe the efficiency of the weigh-ins at the two FLW's I fished in this year too....and they even pronounced my name right too,..that was REALLY cool!! LOL (hey,..it's the little things that stand out y'know!!) You're right,..Art did VERY well!! I'm happy for him,..he's had some bum luck lately,...and Tim, you wiley Canadians are ALWAYS a threat to win on any water up here!!!
,....you've got some GREAT fishermen in your 'hood!! Hope to see you soon!!

Say hi to your boys for me too.....I hope they have a great Hockey season as well!! Cheers!!

Mac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts