Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do most folks set up their batteries? Do you put your accessories on your starting battery or trolling batteries? I've got 3 batteries in the boat, 1 for starting and 2 for the 24V trolling motor. I've been running accesories on the starting battery (for an outboard motor) but I'm not sure this is the right setup.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question but I run 4 batteries, 1 starting, 1 accesories and 2 for the trolling motor.
If you have room for a 4th battery that would be the best way to go. If not it's probably a judgement call based on the strength of the batteries you have and which ones you use the most, how far you fish from where you launch/keep the boat and how much you use the trolling motor.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Run your accessories off your starting battery, especially your sonar.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Aug 14 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know this doesn't answer your question but I run 4 batteries, 1 starting, 1 accesories and 2 for the trolling motor.
If you have room for a 4th battery that would be the best way to go. If not it's probably a judgement call based on the strength of the batteries you have and which ones you use the most, how far you fish from where you launch/keep the boat and how much you use the trolling motor.

4 would be ideal, but I don't have the room. I've been getting 3-4 hours on the accessories running from the starting battery before the fishfinder/gps says "low power". Bilge pump, livewell pump, radio,and lights also run off that battery. When I'm trolling only the fishfinder/gps is on constantly, and occasionally the livewell pump.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(doubledown @ Aug 15 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been getting 3-4 hours on the accessories running from the starting battery before the fishfinder/gps says "low power".

Then something is wrong here. Your battery should last alot longer than that. I run two batteries for the TM, then a batt for the Power Pole and VHF, and a starting battery for both Lowrance, lights, bilge, etc, and I can easily got two or three days before I think about plugging in to charge. I fish alot of 8-10 hr days and I've never once seen any kind of low battery warning. How large is that battery? Is your motor properly charging?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Zib is right. If you only have 3 batts, run the accesories off the cranking battery. How old is your cranking battery? If you`re only getting 3-4 hrs before you get a low voltage warning it could be from an old battery that doesn`t hold a charge very long. Get it tested and if it`s going bad give Batteryman a call at Complete Battery Source. He`ll set ya up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts