Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been out looking to get a new boat, but being fairly new to boating, have a question maybe someone can help us with. Does 7" of beam width make that much difference in the ride/performance of a boat? We're looking at a Seary 260 versus a Rinker 270. The Searay has an 8'6" beam while the Rinker has a 9'1" beam. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
That little bit of extra beam will do 2 things that I've experienced:

1) Much more room on the boat, especially in the cabin
2) Wider means more boat in the water, which means that you'll go slower, and you'll burn more gas. But it'll be more stabler (sp?) at anchor in rough water.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All statements are true (even the coke)
But I would not let that make your decision between the two boats. You'll be fine with either width. More important than width for handling the waves is the length. The longer the boat, the bettter the ride. I think extra width aids more in convenience and space than handling. My 2 cents. Good luck

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I agree that either width will be fine. Now if you were going to a ten foot beam, I would recommend going wide, because that really makes a noticeable difference in handling and stability.

But don't make a decision between those two boats based on width. Rinker and SeaRay are both good boats. I had a SeaRay Sundancer and the only problem that really bugged me was the leaky damn windows. Check the front pointy corner for water damage.

·
12,052 Posts
Beam definately equals space. Mine is 13-1/2 feet wide so the party fits just fine.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Get all the fees from a few diferent marina's for winter storage. This might make your decision for you, and does the Sea Ray have a trailer with it. Storage yard by me is around 300.00 a year, servalence and keypad entrance.

I would get out more if the boat was at a marina.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Girth, width....it's all good....

Really, more beam, the more room....better ride, too. But, if trailering less is more.
Then again, as long as you are one the water. Geeez...hope I helped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.