Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I dont know if its legal or not but I wouldnt use them either way. I found the bears responed better to sweets than meat scraps. A good bait that I used was chunk Dog food mixed with blueberry pie filling, Mix it up in a 5 gal. bucket. Or the same thing mix dog food with honey. Also remember you have to sit neer this and its going to make ya wanna gag.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I went Bear hunting, we used sweets. We went to an outpost camp in Canada, and the guy would go to Tim Hortons and get the day old stuff put it in a plastic bag and dated it, and put it in a feed shed for a long time. When he pulled out the bags, it was the nasty, gross smelling stuff in the whole world. You could smell it yards away, and stuff was moveing in it. I gaged and never went near the bait pile again. It did work, I seen bear everyday and ended up shooting a 250 lbs bear. This was my most exciting hunt ever, and would love to do it again.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Years ago I helped my grandfather bait bear with day old dunken donuts. Got them for free by the garbage bag. Turned over a metal garbage can and spiked it down. In hopes that only the bear would have the power to get at the bait pile..........
...Don't think he got a bear that year either so take it with a grain of salt.

My cousin is a huge hunter and does have a northern Canada black bear but this year we went to Russia and got a 1,000lbs bear. I saw the video and it was pretty sweet/scary. Took him a week of travel till they got to there base camp where they hunted off the back of vintage 60's snowmobiles. One of the scary things I saw was his helicopter trip in an old Russian military helicopter. Thing was all black from jet exhaust and was sitting in the middle of a field of mud. Not sure If I would have had the balls to even get on the thing. Anyway I'll try to see if he got any of the pics or video in digital format and share. If not I could snap a pic of the mount when he gets it back in about 6 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts