Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had wanted for years to spend a day with Bob Brunner and learn how to cast for Musky. I had gone trolling a few times and was a bit successful but wanted to give this casting thing a try. Bob sure knew where the hotspots were around the lake. Just a picture perfect day to be out there! Nice and calm this morning and you could see them swimming quite a ways off. We were both amazed at how the pleasure boat traffic was way down for a holiday weekend as we expected to get bounced around a lot but it was not too bad. I loved how thanks to our wonderful "catch and release" Bob had given many of the Muskies names as he had seen them a few times. I managed to land a small one but lost one probably 50" according to Bob. Sure wish I could have got that one in the boat! All told I think we had around 8 follows, 3 hooked and one in the boat. My 10 year old son and my Dad had a great time and learned a lot along the way. Just a truly spectacular day to be out on the pond in such great company. I really enjoyed it and hope we can try it again soon! Next time I will get out beforehand and get those 999 cast out of the way before we go!
Thanks Bob!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
You are welcome Andy. It was a great day on the water and we saw enough fish to make it interesting. To bad that big girl pulled off on you. She just went balistic in a big way. That jump at the side of the boat was awesome. You Son doing any practicing????

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi was just wondering what type line you use , casting. In what lb.test? how good of a fight as compared to salmon fishing. Have never tried Musky casting. use to salmon fish off the pier at port austin, years ago, that was awsome catching kings. been seeing all these pictures ,and reading all the stories .sounds like a great time. Have always loved just being out there, nomatter what i catch.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(joemama @ Jul 7 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi was just wondering what type line you use , casting. In what lb.test? how good of a fight as compared to salmon fishing. Have never tried Musky casting. use to salmon fish off the pier at port austin, years ago, that was awsome catching kings. been seeing all these pictures ,and reading all the stories .sounds like a great time. Have always loved just being out there, nomatter what i catch.

You should seriously consider hiring Bob for a day. He will give you 20 years of experience on your own in that one day of fishing with him. It's a TON more effective than trying to ask questions here or trying to do it on your own.

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(joemama @ Jul 7 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Muskies dont come close to salmon and steelheads in regard to the fight. Salmon and steelhead are super fish, muskies are not. I fished muskies for 30 years but pretty much dont fish them hardly at all now. Why? They dont pull string! ( run drag ) Most fights with muskie are over in 5 minutes or less. It is alot of work ( hard work ) casting for them. The only pleasure I get from muskie casting is the visuals and the occassional hot fish. In my opinion LSC muskies are the most sluggish muskies I have ever encountered. I now spend almost ALL my time downrigging for salmon on Lake Michigan and river fishing for steelheads in Steelhead Alley. Salmon and steelheading is a piece of cake in regard to standing up all day and casting for muskie.

I dont know how muskiebob can still pound away at these fish. Not only must Bob be one TOUGH guy, he must be mentally tough as well. My HAT goes off to Muskiebob. He has to be the TOUGHEST fisherguy EVER!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
It is not the catch Hard Core it is the chase that thrills. It is a different fish altogether. I guess I am a little on the tough side though (At my age I have to be pretty Ripe) Lol

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 7 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is not the catch Hard Core it is the chase that thrills. It is a different fish altogether. I guess I am a little on the tough side though (At my age I have to be pretty Ripe) Lol
Exactly!!!
Muskies are like men, all the fun is in the chase. And when you get one, you send it back, of course every once in a while you find a good one and mount it.
See just like men

Even more rare, is catching a keeper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 7 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is not the catch Hard Core it is the chase that thrills. It is a different fish altogether. I guess I am a little on the tough side though (At my age I have to be pretty Ripe) Lol

A little on the tough side?? I am a fishing fanatic. I have known guides all over the country, including Alaska and the Floriday Keys. I read a lot about fishing. There has never been a fisher person anywhere that is a hardcore as you. Period. What you do is super human. Therefore, my new name for you is SUPERMAN! Your place in the Hall of Fame is so well deserved. Congrats and may you continue on forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Jul 7 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 7 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is not the catch Hard Core it is the chase that thrills. It is a different fish altogether. I guess I am a little on the tough side though (At my age I have to be pretty Ripe) Lol

A little on the tough side?? I am a fishing fanatic. I have known guides all over the country, including Alaska and the Floriday Keys. I read a lot about fishing. There has never been a fisher person anywhere that is a hardcore as you. Period. What you do is super human. Therefore, my new name for you is SUPERMAN! Your place in the Hall of Fame is so well deserved. Congrats and may you continue on forever.

Each to his own, but I'm standing with Hard Core as far as steelhead/salmon are concerned.

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(reddawn @ Jul 7 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Jul 7 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 7 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is not the catch Hard Core it is the chase that thrills. It is a different fish altogether. I guess I am a little on the tough side though (At my age I have to be pretty Ripe) Lol

Each to his own, but I'm standing with Hard Core as far as steelhead/salmon are concerned.

Salmon and steelhead are not only the best thing in my life, It is the only thing! What a shallow life I lead! Right now I have a job to do: Gather salmon spawn, scrape it from the skein and freeze it in 1/2 pint containers for the 7 month steelhead river season. We gotta put up about 100 of these containers!

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 7 2009, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You are welcome Andy. It was a great day on the water and we saw enough fish to make it interesting. To bad that big girl pulled off on you. She just went balistic in a big way. That jump at the side of the boat was awesome. You Son doing any practicing????

Sorry muskiebob about hijacking this thread. The guy asked a question about salmon and I answered. I should have started a differnt thread.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
No problem HC. It was interesting any way. I have caught a few Salmon and they tear line like mad but the mystic isn't there for me. I know you know what I mean. I was a Trout Maniac for a couple of years and Brook Trout were what I craved but I got over it. LOL

Good Fishng to you and I hope they come back to Lake Huron for you. Bob

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 7 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No problem HC. It was interesting any way. I have caught a few Salmon and they tear line like mad but the mystic isn't there for me. I know you know what I mean. I was a Trout Maniac for a couple of years and Brook Trout were what I craved but I got over it. LOL

Good Fishng to you and I hope they come back to Lake Huron for you. Bob

Never have fished lake Huron. Salmon fishing is really good on lake Michigan!

·
Registered
183 Posts
WOW. Didnt mean to open up a can worms there. Was going to head out tomarrow morning and make it a full day of fishing. ITS ALL GOOD.
Would love to go sky fishing with Bob, would have to clear that with Wifezilla
consindering i am layed off now. How much$. salmon fishing is not what it use to be in lake Huron. Dont know if they are even planting them anymore. Heard it is good in lake Michigan. HardCore does not sound shallow to me,sounds like a labor of love. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a job like yours. Will go out to the St Clair Light tomarrow , hope to catch some perch and Walleye. Then go in the bay over by salt river for some casting. So if you see a blue , really faded Starcraft 22ft.
Say hi. Will give a report. Tight lines all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Muskies dont come close to salmon and steelheads in regard to the fight. Salmon and steelhead are super fish, muskies are not. I fished muskies for 30 years but pretty much dont fish them hardly at all now. Why? They dont pull string! ( run drag ) Most fights with muskie are over in 5 minutes or less. It is alot of work ( hard work ) casting for them. The only pleasure I get from muskie casting is the visuals and the occassional hot fish. "

I've been a steelheader for the past 30 yrs. I use light line, noodle rods and back my drag off so they don't brake me off when they run. Most of the steelheaders I know do the same. If you take this approach when fishing muskie they will pull string for over 5 minutes!!
I' ve landed many steelhead over 15 lbs. No steelhead has ever come close to the rush I get when my lure stops dead in its track just before a muskie tries to ripe the rod out of my hands because I have the drag locked down on 80 lb test and a heavy action rod. Top water hits make me #$& in my pants.

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(fishin electrican @ Jul 8 2009, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"Muskies dont come close to salmon and steelheads in regard to the fight. Salmon and steelhead are super fish, muskies are not. I fished muskies for 30 years but pretty much dont fish them hardly at all now. Why? They dont pull string! ( run drag ) Most fights with muskie are over in 5 minutes or less. It is alot of work ( hard work ) casting for them. The only pleasure I get from muskie casting is the visuals and the occassional hot fish. "

I've been a steelheader for the past 30 yrs. I use light line, noodle rods and back my drag off so they don't brake me off when they run. Most of the steelheaders I know do the same. If you take this approach when fishing muskie they will pull string for over 5 minutes!!
I' ve landed many steelhead over 15 lbs. No steelhead has ever come close to the rush I get when my lure stops dead in its track just before a muskie tries to ripe the rod out of my hands because I have the drag locked down on 80 lb test and a heavy action rod. Top water hits make me #$& in my pants.

To each his own. Been there. Done that. I stand by my post. If you enjoy..do it. I wont do it anymore. A 10 pound salmon in the lake will drown any size muskie tail to tail.
If you have caught many steelhead over 15 pounds as you say, you certainly did not catch them in the Great lakes. Last fall and winter we hooked over a thousand and saw 2 over 15. goes . Sure I have got some 15 pound steel in Michigan, but not a lot. I fish every week during steelhead season. There are only 2 places I have encountered many 15 pound plus fish: Alaska and Michigan City years ago when the skamania were going.

I have been steelheading for 37 years and I use fly rods with spinning guides, run straight 4# or 6#. BUT I screw down my drag pretty good and I dont break off fish. That is what the drag is for. I am done with this thread. This is muskiebobs thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Jul 8 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishin electrican @ Jul 8 2009, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"Muskies dont come close to salmon and steelheads in regard to the fight. Salmon and steelhead are super fish, muskies are not. I fished muskies for 30 years but pretty much dont fish them hardly at all now. Why? They dont pull string! ( run drag ) Most fights with muskie are over in 5 minutes or less. It is alot of work ( hard work ) casting for them. The only pleasure I get from muskie casting is the visuals and the occassional hot fish. "

To each his own. Been there. Done that. I stand by my post. If you enjoy..do it. I wont do it anymore. A 10 pound salmon in the lake will drown any size muskie tail to tail.
If you have caught many steelhead over 15 pounds as you say, you certainly did not catch them in the Great lakes. Last fall and winter we hooked over a thousand and saw 2 over 15. goes . Sure I have got some 15 pound steel in Michigan, but not a lot. I fish every week during steelhead season. There are only 2 places I have encountered many 15 pound plus fish: Alaska and Michigan City years ago when the skamania were going.

I have been steelheading for 37 years and I use fly rods with spinning guides, run straight 4# or 6#. BUT I screw down my drag pretty good and I dont break off fish. That is what the drag is for. I am done with this thread. This is muskiebobs thread.

niagara river and sorry about treading on muskiebobs thead it won't happen again.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Jul 7 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(joemama @ Jul 7 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Muskies dont come close to salmon and steelheads in regard to the fight. Salmon and steelhead are super fish, muskies are not. I fished muskies for 30 years but pretty much dont fish them hardly at all now. Why? They dont pull string! ( run drag ) Most fights with muskie are over in 5 minutes or less. It is alot of work ( hard work ) casting for them. The only pleasure I get from muskie casting is the visuals and the occassional hot fish. In my opinion LSC muskies are the most sluggish muskies I have ever encountered. I now spend almost ALL my time downrigging for salmon on Lake Michigan and river fishing for steelheads in Steelhead Alley. Salmon and steelheading is a piece of cake in regard to standing up all day and casting for muskie.

I dont know how muskiebob can still pound away at these fish. Not only must Bob be one TOUGH guy, he must be mentally tough as well. My HAT goes off to Muskiebob. He has to be the TOUGHEST fisherguy EVER!

i think the lack of fight is due to the warm water /low oxygen levels. i got to beleive a muskie caught out deep in the colder higher oxygenated water on a salmon rig would tear it up also. just look how quick a salmon tires once you get them in the surface water or the fall fish. they dont fight near as long as the spring kings do when waters cold top to bottom. i just dont feel the 2 fish can be fairly compared. salmon fisherman for the most part run alot less drag and lighter tackle wich helps allow for long runs. ive never caught a muskie under those conditions/ georgian bay /eastern basin lk erie on salmon gear to make a fair comparison. but i agree with the one guys post go for salmon with heavy tackle and a locked down drag and see what happens you will probably lose alot of fish but the small fish will be jumping like crazy cause cant pull drag. ive seen it done fall fishing where they didnt want their fish to run underneath the docks they were catching kings and just letting them go wild jumping in the middle of the canal. plus we overtackle for muskie while most keep salmon so not concerned about long fights or releasing fish.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
(/quote...Muskies are like men, all the fun is in the chase. And when you get one, you send it back, of course every once in a while you find a good one and mount it.
See just like men

Even more rare, is catching a keeper.

[/quote]

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
AMEN.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts