Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....About my balaclava. It's a SunClava from Simms. It's for Sun protection. I'm fair skinned as it is, and then add to it the height of the Sun mid day on the water, and that equals a burn. They're very common amongst Florida flats guides and fishermen. It's just light weight lycra and doesn't get hot at all. I always wear long sleeve shirts and pants as well, and even wear SunGloves as well, so basically all that in the Sun are my finger tips. I don't wear them mornings or evenings, but do for sure during the day.

For example, the other day my clava was in my other bag and I fished the whole day in the sun with my mesh backed hat, and this is the result-

Plant Grass Trunk Chest Abdomen

So I wear the clava and mostly it helps protect the ears, nose and back of neck. And in my case, the dome. I don't like sunscreen because it gets on my hands of course, and then gets on my fly line and flies and causes issues, which is why most flyfishermen don't use sunscreen or bug spray. Bug spray actually disolves fly line coatings and ruins the line after a short time of use.

So the SunClava and SunGloves get the nod.

Glasses Water Sky Vision care Cloud

Some guys wear a big hat with a brim and back shield, but that doesn't protect against reflection up from the water, and the huge brim can block your peripheral vision, which you use extensively in "watching" your flyline through the air.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
my dad lived in florida for 15 years he got skin cancer on the top of his ears had to have the tops removed scary stuff it was real bad on the left side of his head we figured it was from driving. the sun is nothing to mess with.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That top o the head shot looks like a pizza, bur that clava looks like it would be perfect during black fly season up north especially if it is not hot, those lil buggers are relentless on the neck when I wear my net/hat combo thingy, plus the fish won't recognize me until its too late, sweet.

By the way, it looks like you need to pull that thing down over your forehead, kinda red.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I'm the same way....always in a long sleeve shirt and long pants. I love the hand gloves, but don't yet have the face protector. Usually I just put sunscreen on my neck and face. The only time I wore the face protector I got hot. I opt for the wide brimmed hat.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I thought it was used for cold weather traveling on the water. Probably could use it for that too, but I totally understand now. Damn I even thought the fish fly's were that bad out there lol I am horrible for not wearing sunscreen or anything and I've paid for it a few times too, but nothing serious. I should take this as a sign to make sure I protect myself better from the sun this year, before something serious does happen...

Like that cool burn design you got going on there

Thanks for the info Sox

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Looks good! And you won't end up with leathery, wrinkled skin and skin cancer like I will.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I cant stand masks on my face...... i sun screen up real good before i leave the house then wash my hands good, or use germ x if i need to reply out on the water. no problems with burning ever and a slight tan makes you look healthier in my opinion...... a little sun is good for ya.....and you wont look like a ghost....bad enough i look like one during winter
good luck with the mask though, if it works for you than its all that matters......but kinda looks like your gonna hijack another boat though....lol

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, I've been wearing them for years. I started in Kodiak fishing offshore. The sun up there is stronger in July than it is here, and for like 18 hrs a day. First day I went offshore up there, I thought, "nah, how can I get sunburned in Alaska?...." I'd only lived there since the previous fall and hadn't seen anything that resembles a sun tan or burn since I left the lower 48. That was my first and last time out without sun protection up there.

And I do still get sun. I don't wear it in the morning or evening so I still get the red face and my hands are dark. I just wear it in the heat of the day to keep the direct, pounding sun off of me.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
It's uhm, different, but waht matters is that it works for you.
I don't have one color anywhere on my body at any time of year. My hands are always darker than the rest of me, even in the dead of winter. I get so tan that even when it fades, my hands are still darker than most other people's hands.
I burn once, not enough to be painful, just enough that I turn, uhg, pink, after that it just gets darker and darker. I sure fit right in when I head down to Mexicantown for dinner

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
You look like an Alien invader to me. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts