Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at gull i allways see people right up on the beech with there boat, i did same last sat , but to get up that far i had to raise out drive , really far up and give it quite a bit of gas. prop was still under water , but later a person said that if you do that it will break the work gears in the out drive. didnt know if this was right or not because ive seen so many other people doing this . is there a beter way ? waters pretty cold still. yeah i know iam a wimp when comes to cold real cold water . ..

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
you definatly do not want to raise them too far, like with the trailer button, if they are too far up you will hear the grinding

pull the up a little and give a little gas then coast in, just off the front with a line and anchor and give it more of a tug

on the east side of the island you can beach it with about 3 feet of water at the swim platform (30' boat)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Deuce is right. That'll avoid damage to your drive. But grinding the sand into the bottom of your boat isn't exactly a great thing for your gel coat. Would you take a piece of sand paper to the keel (bottom) of your boat? That's exactly what people are do ing everytime they beach their boat. Essentially, gel coat is what makes your boat water proof, and it's a pretty thin layer at that. I personally never beach my boat, for this very reason. I anchor and walk in.

Some will say that I'm full of sh!t, I think that I'll start a thread to see what everyone says.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I beached my first boat a couple of times back in 1998. Never done it since. The sand contains rock also...gel coat will start to look bad after one season.

You also have to think about resale. The next buyer might lover your boat, but then look at the bottom and decide to pass.

Buy two real good anchors..no cheap alluminum ones. Drop one at the bow and stern. Have done this since 1998 and can get very close to the beach (10-15 yards). Still do it in our 40'

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm with 'knuckles.........go in 'till the depth guage reads 2-3 feet & drop anchor. Then "walk it in" if you want to get closer. Don't risk the prop/out-drive damage. Trying to be "cool" could wreck your already-too-short summer!

G

·
I read an opinion on another board where someone said they beach all the time and just have the bottom re-gelcoated every couple years for $300. I anchor out and the last time was able to get into mid thigh deep water off the stern so it wasn't too bad. My biggest fear is grinding down the bottom of the boat. For people that really power on to the beach, you can end up sucking sand into your water intakes and plugging some of the internal water passages in the engine and overheating. Sand will also cause your water pump impeller to wear faster, or even tear the blades, risking an overheat. Running your drive with it trimmed all the way to the trailer position is really hard on the U-joints too. Most manuals will say you can trim that far at idle speed only, and trimmed up and turning to full lock is even worse. A friend that used to keep his boat in a shallow canal had to replace his u-joints after idling in and out of it with his drive up for a half season.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Bill,

I also know of people who say the same thing. I fix it once a year and I'll be OK. Well, once the gel coat gets penetrated, water can get into the lay up and ruin your hull in a couple of weeks. But you won't know until the next season, 'cuz it takes the winter temps to cause that absorbed water to freeze, swell, and blister the bottom of your boat.

I'm not saying that it will happen, but I have seen it happen to several boats that beach alot. Most boaters spend way too much time taking care of the boat above the water line, and ignore what's really keeping them afloat. A pet peeve with me.

G

·
I agree... I posted that just as another opinion, but I've beached maybe twice in the past 6 or 7 years. I was a nervous wreck every time a boat went by and rocked all the beached boats. Maybe I wasn't drinking enough.

The boat we had 2 boats ago we bought from a young guy who beached at Gull a lot. Another reason not to beach...You will never get all of the sand out of the boat if you have a carpeted cockpit, no matter how hard you try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bobrob - i happen to agree with the "no beach " theory , think resale , think gelcoat scratches . The "walk it in/ walk in " theory is very good ( & the most practical ). However , if u find yourself wanting to tool around in shallow water , you can trailer the outdrive as long as u dont exceed 1200 rpm ( on a mercruiser at least ) . Safest bet , just use idle rpm , Its hard enuff on those knuckles . I have e-mailed boat mfg. & they advised that this was ok. BUT remember where u left the outdrive when u re-start so u dont gun it above that .
Also , on the s.e. side of gull , when the freighter wakes come in , they will try to shift everything north , makes for anxious moments wondering when boats will slam into each other if they r parked too close . Parking on the n. side , the island will serve as a breakwater for those wakes . Its weedy till u get within 30 or so yards of the island ( then sand ), but much less rolly-poly .
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes a great deal my boat is btm painted does it still have a gell coat under that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts