Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the best casting reels for muskies? Have a couple Ambassadors; a 5500C & a 6500C. Would like another large 6000 something, and am looking at the 6600 C4, @ 6.3/1 gear ratio. Just thinking the faster retrieve should help keep the line tighter on jerk baits. Appreciate comments. Been a pretty good boy this year, so maybe Santa might just bring me one.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I like Shimano Calcutta's, the TE to be exact. Abu's are good reels; my Dad uses them. I just don't like the looks for the feel of them, but that is entirely 100% a personal opinion.

If you're an Abu guy, don't over look the Revo Toro. Alot of guys like them alot, and they're available with a 6.4 or something like that.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Bought an ABU garcia revo toro 61 and really like it. But it is the first baitcaster ive ever owed. Which ever one U decide do yourself a favor and check them out on ebay, I got mine for $150 about $100 less than the stores. If there is a new musky pole on your christmas list also, I have a musky innovations 8' heavy action rod its new that I would part with reasonable.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I like the Abu Garcia revo toro 50 I have. I got the 5.4.1 gear ratio and it can pull some big baits through the water with little effort. Calcuttas are nice but the reason I went with the revo toro was that it was extremely comfortable in my hand. As far as I know they are one of the few low profile reels rated for muskie. Make sure you go to a store and put them on a rod and get a feel for them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have (2) 5600c4 6:3:1 ratio and another in the 6600c4 ... I like them alot but they do require some up keep if you plan on throwing larger size crank baits and bucktails (1.5-3oz) . Just last week, one of my 5600 took a crap on me... something to do with the drag... I was planning on getting a new Record but chose to go with a new Shimano Calcutta 400b, to be honest im glad I did so far in fact there is another article under the " fishing Hole" titled New Shimano Calcutta 400B check it out a few have posted there as well.

Heres the link: http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=74160

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have been taking a hard look at Ardent reels lately....I have 2 now that I am puting through the paces..How can we not look at a Made in the USA reel company that bought an old Whirlpool factory and hired back some of their employees after Whirlpool went over seas.....I am going to at least give them a shot...

I have always been a Shimano guy but if these reels work out Ardent will be getting more of my business......Ardent reels also come with a 3 year warranty.....

Ardent reels click here

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Bear2 @ Nov 21 2009, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I personnally would like a larger version with more line capacity, for throwing large musky lures.

Unless you're worried about line pick-up, line capacity for muskies is of small concern (casting at least). These aren't salmon to steelhead that'll make numerous long runs. Muskies subside fairly quickly. Most muskie casters that use non-levelwind reels only keep their's 50%-75% full. The size of the bait doesn't have anything to do with line capacity needed.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Bear2 @ Nov 21 2009, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice looking reels, and appear to be well made, 10 bearings. I personnally would like a larger version with more line capacity, for throwing large musky lures.

Just because a reel has more bearings doesn't make it a better reel. It's the quality of the parts that goes into it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am concerned about line pick up as I want this reel, hopefully 6.3/1 and high capacity for jerk, twitch, and glide baits, to help pick up the slack line between jerks, for a better hook set.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Cool. Like I said, "unless you're worried about line pick-up...." In that case, then yeah, shop for it. I'd still put more emphasis on ratio than line capacity. Might also look at the Saltist, either in LW or NLW. Alot of guys like it for it's speed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I love my Shimano Calcutta 401TE's and just got a Revo Toro 61 and I like it as well. If you have any buddies that musky fish try their reels out ahead of time and good luck!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Even the Ambassadeur 7000-10000 Series?

I've been thinking of upgrading from the serviceable but difficult to use (i.e., no anti-overrun device) Penn 309s I've been using, for one or 2 casting reels, but don't want to break the bank.

QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Nov 21 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dont even think about throwing any of the really large baits like bulldawgs with ANY Ambassador. The gears dont like it. 400 series Calcuttas are good choices for the big baits. When throwing small baits your garcias are fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Nov 23 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even the Ambassadeur 7000-10000 Series?

I've been thinking of upgrading from the serviceable but difficult to use (i.e., no anti-overrun device) Penn 309s I've been using, for one or 2 casting reels, but don't want to break the bank.

QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Nov 21 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dont even think about throwing any of the really large baits like bulldawgs with ANY Ambassador. The gears dont like it. 400 series Calcuttas are good choices for the big baits. When throwing small baits your garcias are fine.

I was referring to the 6000 series...sorry ..Not that familiar with those bigger Ambassadors. I like the 400 series calcuttas...By the way I caught my biggest muskie on opening day a few years ago throwing a bass spinner bait and a 250 Caccutta. 40 pound range... casting in the DR

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Well, that one certainly doesn't require first rate thumbing skills to avoid a "bird's net."

QUOTE(heimskr @ Nov 23 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Need I say more.........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts