Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a much bigger fan of silicon caulking. Sure, the caulking lasts forever, but the seal doesn't. When it fails, it's a bitch to remove, and nothing will adhere to it. Not even silicon.

With that said, my windshield has silicon now (stock), and I assume silicon is probably the still best thing to use. Would you agree? Dow Corning (something like <this>) would be my first choice, as most other brands are, IMO, are harder to work with. Must be mold and mildew resistant too.

(And BTW, you can put your images of a big caulking mess to rest. I'm an accomplished caulker.
)

Any suggestions on brand, type, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I've always heard that 3M 5200 is good but do not plan on removing the part caulked as it will be permanent. I have always used the 3M silicone to seal stuff. I is a mess to get the old stuff off but at least its possible. I would say just try to shave/cut out as much of the old stuff as possible and put silicone back in. I have heard people brag about the Lifecaulk?. Supposed to be a little different than silicone and last forever?

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure 4200 would do the job, but not sure if it is the right choice. Wouldn't it have a tendency to gain a dirty appearance over time, as compared to silicon?

I appreciate your suggestions, but still have doubts.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Don't use 4200 or 5200 as they are permanent adhesives. You can go to a building or siding supply place like Allied or Ingrams and by a product called Solar Seal it is an outside caulk for siding, comes in multiple colors and runs about $6.00 a tube. As far as the old stuff, scrape as much off as you can and by some Goof Off, it will take off the rest, especially if you use a small scrub brush like you would in your kitchen, not a wire brush.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Don't use silicon.. It will not last as long.. 4200 and 5200 are made for boats and they are not permanent.. 4200 will last longer then silicon and regardless of what you use there will be discoloration over time including clear silicon.
From the 3M website

3M™ Marine Fast Cure 4200 Adhesive Sealant
One part general purpose polyurethane reacts chemically with moisture for flexible bonds to wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, plastic and metals. Forms a watertight seal on joints and boat hardware above and below the waterline. Formulated to allow for disassembly of parts.

3M™ Marine Fast Cure 5200 Adhesive Sealant
A faster curing version of 3M™ Marine 4200 Adhesive Sealant. The high performance polyurethane becomes tack free in one hour and fully cures in approximately 24 hours. The seal is extremely strong, retains its strength above or below the water line. Stays flexible and allows for structural movement. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water. Easy to apply with manual caulking gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts