Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Last year, I sorta inherited a 16'7" '77 Century Raven 180. I already love it and have begun to bring it back to life as it was in storage for the last several years.

I have been thinking about restoring the fiberglass finish if that is really possible. I don't believe the claims that the products make and I was hoping that some of you have tried some and can lend some advice. My boat is red and white and it is the white area that seems to have faded the worse. Before I wash, wax and teflon coat her, is there any thing I can do to bring back her original shine? When I was at West Marine over the week-end, one of their eimployees suggested a kit that cost about $70. Please give me the benefit of your experiences! Thanks in advance!

·
12,052 Posts
Last year I used a new product by 3M called imperial compound. It is a combination of compound and their finessit product. Use a good wheel and cutting (white) pad. Should do the trick. Available at Mikes marine. Retail $33. bottle.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
what Hammer said is good if your boat isn't that bad. If your boat has extreme oxidation, I would start out with a step up to heavy cut rubbing compound also by 3M, or Diamond Cut by Meguire's. After using the heavy stuff, use imperial or finesseit polishing compound and finish it off with a high quality wax like Flagship or anything in the other wax thread.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
on a boat that age, id use Wizards Turbo Cut. its a perfect compound for a boat thats aged, doesnt leave tons of wheel marks, and in some cases you can get away w/ not polishing after the compound, if you remove the wax with a buffer

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Wizards Turbo Cut is good and I use it a lot but be careful if this is your first time. Use a good quality pad and a low RPM to start until you get a feel for using the wheel. It has a heaver compound and you could do more harm than good. I got a call last week from a guy that tried to do his boat for the first time this year, he was new to using a wheel and compound. After he has the hull regellcoated it will be a nice looking boat. He went threw the gellcoat in about 200 small places.

G

·
Ok what do you guys recommend to clear up the shadow from graphics that I just took off? We peeled off the L8R G8R and the hullsides are in good shape, but there's definitely a shadow.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
now now Bill, you should know the answer to that.....

but really, any MILD compound, or a good polish should remove it.
if not, get most of it out by rubbing, and the sun will finish the job in a few weeks

G

·
I'd probably try Finess-it II first, the start with something milder approach. I do have the "silent thunder" exhaust box off the boat to practice on (it needs some work too, but I'm not planning on putting it back on.)

·
12,052 Posts
I did a name once, wet sand, compound, finessit, wax.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Apr 15 2004, 12:07 PM)I did a name once, wet sand, compound, finessit, wax.

That's how I turned Lat's Call into Hazy Memory

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Apr 15 2004, 10:08 AM)Ok what do you guys recommend to clear up the shadow from graphics that I just took off? We peeled off the L8R G8R and the hullsides are in good shape, but there's definitely a shadow.
make sure you go through the proper name changing ceramony. Dead chicken and all. LOLOLOL

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
We're not necessarily CHANGING the name, just removing it. Do the same rules (dead chicken and all) still apply?

G

·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Apr 15 2004, 09:07 PM)lol, dunno. You might want to do it just in case. Poseidon isn't someone that you want to piss off.

Ooo yeah, I saw that movie. I sure wouldn't want to tempt fate like Shelley Winters or Ernest Borgnine did, and I don't want to see this scene out on LSC...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Now for my two cents...I use a McQuire's color restoration kit. I costs $30 at West or boat US. I've been using this product since 1996 (an old '70's Saf-T-Mate...in Burnt ORANGE no less) and I've always been amazed at how it brings the color back. I have a 1987 SeaRay with the Pacific (Royal?) Blue color and it's always fading (first couple of owners probably didn't wax it enough). Anyhow, one kit should be enough, get a 5"-6" polishing wheel for the first step- oxidation removal ( its a three step kit). Take your time (like a whole weekend) and you'll get great results...remember, until you've polished a boat until your arms are ready to fall off, you're not really a serious boater (just keep telling yourself that ;-).
- John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts