Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are some good places around the lake that people anchor overnight.

I'd like to try an over-night now that I have a boat big enough to do it with.

Thanks!!!

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
i like to anchor at strawberry island. you're far away from the shipping channel and it's usually pretty quiet there.

good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the water calm down for the evening?

I like going to Strawberry, but sometimes it gets annoyingly wavey.

Do you park close to the island, or are u out more in the 4 foot waters? I was just wondering if there's any problems with other boats going too close for comfort?

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
i've had times where it was as calm as glass and others where it was a bit turbulent.

overal it's pretty nice, though.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Jun 26 2003, 03:53 PM)Ever been to FOrds Cove? Very nice and peaceful!
nice to anchor there, just don't swim there,...
duck/bird poop water......lots of it

back in metro.. the bay is usually pretty good too

·
Registered
896 Posts
Don't anchor in overly shallow water overnight unless you feel absolutely certain of the weather. Big high pressure system, probably okay, iffy weather, better put some water under the boat. If the wind shifts and you drag anchor, you could be in trouble real fast in shallow water. If weather moves in, you could get waves large enough to bounce the boat up and down on the outdrive. Strawberry is nice but it's exposed to the prevailing winds from the west. Muscamoot would be a better choice or even back in in the Sney. Both are sheltered and you'll enjoy beautiful sunsets. At least five feet is desireable but hard to find out there the last few years. Remember you need an anchor light if you're anchored for the night. Helps keep some crazy fool from killing you in your sleep. Another tip, the farther you are from shore, the mosquito factor diminishes exponentially.

PS
We anchor by the island, we don't park the boat.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Mascamoot is a great place to stay the night!

·
Registered
353 Posts
If your up for a little ride south on the Detroit River - there is a nice little cove at the tip of Bois Blanc ( Boblo) Island. There is also Crystal Bay ( Canadian waters, need to go ashore to check in first - used to be crazy on the weekends) or by the "hole in the wall" (check your charts to get back in there!).

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
just south of 9 mile tower in the shores , lots of bugs at night though , but very secnic and quiet ,,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts