Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my roommate moved out and this is his computer. I have plenty of stuff that once I copy off I would like noone to be able to get back. (quicken, personal emails, ect, ect) What is the easiest way to do this? Formatting it is not a option due to the fact that all his stuff is still on here too. I need to take care of all this stuff tonight. Also might not be online for a while. I pulled out my old PC and plan on hooking the cable modem to it but I'm missing a card. It's not in this machine and I have no idea where it is.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shandog but what about just a few files....not whole software programs.

Also where can I get a cable modem card for my old school PC?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that I don't trust him at all. He could of easily looked at it anytime on this computer. Along with anyone else that ever sat here. (many have over the years) But he's living with other people now. (Not that I don't trust them) But it's Where this computer will end up in the end that I worry. I heard a study some students did where they bought a ton of used computer and were able to retrive all sorts of personal data from them. (SS#, Credit card #, Account #'s) People think cause they hit the Delete key that it's gone and we all know that's just not true.

Any computer I ever throw out or get rid of will be less a hard drive for these reasons. Maybe I'm a little paroind but I know of 2 people that have had there identies stolen already and I'm sure this is a crime that will only increase with the age of cyber world.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks for the offer Hammer but I snagged what I think will work form work. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

I ended up just Del said files than cleaning rey bin than ran the defrag.....computer is gone and out of my hands now.

Now I need to get the new/very old one working again. No computer at home could be the death of me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.