3,095 Posts

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
how do we protect ourselves?

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Funny, I just walked Mongo through clearning his macine of this! If your machine is rebooting every 10 minutes, you may have it!

UPDATE YOUR ANTI-VIRUS DEFINITIONS! Scan your machine!

more info

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
running Windows Update is one good thing to do... to make sure you have latest security patches applied.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Yeah, you're right, I don't know if NAV alone will stop it. I don't know if Mongo has the virus or not, but he has the symptoms. He's doing a scan right now. Blocking TCP/IP port 135 and installing this patch from Microsoft, appears to have fixed the problem for him.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I am really stupid when it comes to installing "Blocking TCP/IP port 135" and things like that. I just learn to live with it!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(afiremen @ Aug 11 2003, 10:42 PM)I am really stupid when it comes to installing "Blocking TCP/IP port 135" and things like that. I just learn to live with it!
Come on, that's got to do with Firewalls! You should know all about that!!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Not a thing! Don't know how to set them up or anything!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
well, i renewed my virus subscription AND i downloaded that patch just in case.
i hope i'm ok!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
If they set up when I install the program then they are there, if not then I don't know a thing!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(afiremen @ Aug 11 2003, 10:50 PM)Not a thing! Don't know how to set them up or anything!
And you call yourself afiremen.....

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Aug 11 2003, 10:53 PM)QUOTE(afiremen @ Aug 11 2003, 10:50 PM) Not a thing! Don't know how to set them up or anything!
And you call yourself afiremen.....

In a fire, I know what a fire stop (wall) is, but on the computer, I am lost as how to put them up!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Xp has a built in firewall.. if you enable it. I've never heard anything grand about it though.

Zonealarm (firewall..) is available for free, and is often recommended.

Zone Alarm

a free antivirus program called AVG.. info here

TechTV : AVG

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(spacelord @ Aug 11 2003, 10:59 PM)Zonealarm (firewall..) is available for free, and is often recommended.

Zone Alarm
Yeah, I think the XP firewall will block those ports okay, but ZoneAlarm is surely the way to go!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The XP fire wall sux if you share files and/or printers on a inturnal network. It disables all file sharing. I like zonealarm. I run it on top of the hardware firewall built into my cable/dsl router.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Aug 11 2003, 11:06 PM)The XP fire wall sux if you share files and/or printers on a inturnal network. It disables all file sharing. I like zonealarm. I run it on top of the hardware firewall built into my cable/dsl router.
ditto, dude!!!! Must be the smarts leftover from the Troy Drive In!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i have that norton 2003 hopefully that works ok , if you do get one though you just put in your start up disc again right and that will get rid of it ? have been lucky so far never had a virus .

1 - 20 of 69 Posts