Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Along with this change the TBF will be changing their State Fish Off date that was scheduled for Aug 22 to now be scheduled for Aug 29 out of Metro Beach LSC. The July 11th State Fish Off on Muskegon has not been changed and is still a go on that day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Nov 12 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 tournaments on the Detroit River????? Not real happy about that....I guess they are trying to stay close to the border for the Ohio/IND/Ill guys......Will it bring the numbers up???
I DONT THINK IT WOULD MATTER. ANYWHERE IN MICHIGAN TO FISH IS BETTER THAN DOWN HERE IN OHIO.
I INVITE ANYONE TO COME TO OHIO TO FISH WITH ME IN ANY TOURNAMENT. YOU WOULD BE GLAD TO GET BACK TO MI. I HAVE BEEN IN BASS TOURNAMENTS FOR 30 YEARS MOST OF IT IN OHIO. I WON A 2 DAY CHAMPIONSHIP WITH 10 LBS IN 1995. I CANT WIN IN MI. BUT I SURE DO HAVE FUN. I WILL BE BACK IN 2010 FOR MORE. I WILL DRIVE 550 MILES TO BURT MULLET. AND MORE IF NEEDED. GRAND RIVER WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE THOUGH. EVEN LAKE ERIE AT SANDUSKY DID NOT HELP YOUR MI. DIVISION GET MORE OF US DOWN HERE. IT IS THE ECONOMY AND GAS PRICES AND WAY TO MANY CLUBS,TEAM TRAILS, OTHER CIRCUTS SPREADING OUT PEOPLE UP THERE.
DO YOU KNOW OHIO GETS MORE ENTRYS ON A MUD HOLE TOURNAMENT (OHIO RIVER) THAN MI. DIV. GETS ON ST CLAIR.( AND IT WAS WON WITH 9LBS)
WITH FLW PAYING 40 PLACES ON A FULL FIELD, CHANCES OF GETTING A CHECK WOULD BE BETTER. SO WHY NOT JUST STOP FISHING ALL THOSE SMALL CIRCUTS AND COME FISH BFL. I KNOW ITS RUN VERY PROFESSIONALLY. JUST MY OP.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(bass_proz @ Nov 17 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Nov 12 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 tournaments on the Detroit River????? Not real happy about that....I guess they are trying to stay close to the border for the Ohio/IND/Ill guys......Will it bring the numbers up???
I DONT THINK IT WOULD MATTER. ANYWHERE IN MICHIGAN TO FISH IS BETTER THAN DOWN HERE IN OHIO.
I INVITE ANYONE TO COME TO OHIO TO FISH WITH ME IN ANY TOURNAMENT. YOU WOULD BE GLAD TO GET BACK TO MI. I HAVE BEEN IN BASS TOURNAMENTS FOR 30 YEARS MOST OF IT IN OHIO. I WON A 2 DAY CHAMPIONSHIP WITH 10 LBS IN 1995. I CANT WIN IN MI. BUT I SURE DO HAVE FUN. I WILL BE BACK IN 2010 FOR MORE. I WILL DRIVE 550 MILES TO BURT MULLET. AND MORE IF NEEDED. GRAND RIVER WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE THOUGH. EVEN LAKE ERIE AT SANDUSKY DID NOT HELP YOUR MI. DIVISION GET MORE OF US DOWN HERE. IT IS THE ECONOMY AND GAS PRICES AND WAY TO MANY CLUBS,TEAM TRAILS, OTHER CIRCUTS SPREADING OUT PEOPLE UP THERE.
DO YOU KNOW OHIO GETS MORE ENTRYS ON A MUD HOLE TOURNAMENT (OHIO RIVER) THAN MI. DIV. GETS ON ST CLAIR.( AND IT WAS WON WITH 9LBS)
WITH FLW PAYING 40 PLACES ON A FULL FIELD, CHANCES OF GETTING A CHECK WOULD BE BETTER. SO WHY NOT JUST STOP FISHING ALL THOSE SMALL CIRCUTS AND COME FISH BFL. I KNOW ITS RUN VERY PROFESSIONALLY. JUST MY OP.

I agree and have thought of fishing only the BFL and a few opens next year. Time will tell.

801 Posts
QUOTE(bass_proz @ Nov 17 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Nov 12 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 tournaments on the Detroit River????? Not real happy about that....I guess they are trying to stay close to the border for the Ohio/IND/Ill guys......Will it bring the numbers up???

I couldnt agree more.
In 2007 I fished 31 tournaments with several different trails and I was spread way too thin, last year I just fished FLW tournaments for a total of 9 tournaments and saved a ton of $$$$ and had a much better and relaxing year.
There is just way too many different trails in Michigan...to the point of being just plain ridiculous!
If we could get rid of just half of these small 10 to 20 boat tournaments we would see bigger participation and payouts in the real trails.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(cast n blast @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bass_proz @ Nov 17 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Nov 12 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 tournaments on the Detroit River????? Not real happy about that....I guess they are trying to stay close to the border for the Ohio/IND/Ill guys......Will it bring the numbers up???

I couldnt agree more.
In 2007 I fished 31 tournaments with several different trails and I was spread way too thin, last year I just fished FLW tournaments for a total of 9 tournaments and saved a ton of $$$$ and had a much better and relaxing year.
There is just way too many different trails in Michigan...to the point of being just plain ridiculous!
If we could get rid of just half of these small 10 to 20 boat tournaments we would see bigger participation and payouts in the real trails.

I agree with the exception of calling a trail a "real trail".....what determines if it is "real"?

801 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Nov 18 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(cast n blast @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bass_proz @ Nov 17 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Nov 12 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 tournaments on the Detroit River????? Not real happy about that....I guess they are trying to stay close to the border for the Ohio/IND/Ill guys......Will it bring the numbers up???

I couldnt agree more.

I agree with the exception of calling a trail a "real trail".....what determines if it is "real"?

uuuuuuh ya got me on that one John lol

I suppose its up to the oppinion of the participant.

lets just go with the fact is that I know the BFL is a real trail becouse its a qualifier for the regional championship, All American and Forest Wood Cup payouts which could realy secure an anglers financial retirement fund.
I dont know of more than a couple trails (2) that can give you that opportunity.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I like the original schedule better for my own selfish reasons..It is kind of nice to be able to launch out of Metro Beach on LSC and sleep in my own bed at night....

I have not got along very well with Lake Erie since I got back into tourney fishing 3 years ago....I guess more time down there can do nothing but help....

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(cast n blast @ Nov 18 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Nov 18 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(cast n blast @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bass_proz @ Nov 17 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Nov 12 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3 tournaments on the Detroit River????? Not real happy about that....I guess they are trying to stay close to the border for the Ohio/IND/Ill guys......Will it bring the numbers up???

I couldnt agree more.

uuuuuuh ya got me on that one John lol

I suppose its up to the oppinion of the participant.

lets just go with the fact is that I know the BFL is a real trail becouse its a qualifier for the regional championship, All American and Forest Wood Cup payouts which could realy secure an anglers financial retirement fund.
I dont know of more than a couple trails (2) that can give you that opportunity.

There are other trails that offer the same chances....others offer championships that are close to home and have better payouts. No one trail is any more "real" than another unless personal opinion is added (again because it depends on what YOU are looking for). While its nice to have choices....it is even nicer to have good payouts, strong fields and fair competition in all ascpects of the "game" (including sponsors, logo requirements, entry deadlines, payouts no matter what you fishing out of, conservation efforts, etc.). All of that cannot be found in any one trail anymore.

I am not bringing this up to start a war about which trail is better because they all have their advantages, but considering your thought on wanting to advance in the FLW ranks and it is money driven....why arent you running a Ranger? I would agree with everything else you stated IF you were running a Ranger to add the Ranger Cup money.

Again this is not an argument and I am not knocking your boat, just a discussion on an adult level.

801 Posts
nope not taking it that way at all Mini and I realy do mean that the definition of a real trail is up to the participant but "my definition" is a trail with a nationals otherwise IMO its more of a club not that thats a bad thing....Ive just found that there not realy for me even though Ive taken alot of money from the smaller trails.
Im in a Skeeter becouse Skeeters real money program has been pretty good to me, Im a diehard skeeter guy, I like the boat, the look, the speed and fuel economy, the way it performs and Skeeter has a ton of sentimental value to me, thats what my deceased dad and I fished out of since I was a kid, heres a pic of me taken in 1979 sitting in the drivers seat of a 1978 Skeeter Wrangler next to my little brother, Skeeter was the leader of bass boats then and strives to stay that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Cool picture Skip...

Just tell Mini you want to fish out of a Rig that will get you to your fishing spot "sometime today"..
J/K

That has been the great thing about fishing as a Co angler the last few years...I have fished out of pretty much every brand and model and they all have their plus and minuses.....I think pretty much every manufacturer builds a competitive rig nowadays...

If I was to buy new it would be a Bass Cat strictly because of their outstanding service.....I have a 10 year old ride and they treat me just like a new customer...I don't necessarily think it is any better boat than a Ranger, Skeeter, Champion etc..The Ranger cup money would not come into play in my purchasing decision. I probably will never win and if I did I could come close to the money with Bass Cat Contigency money....Am I digressing from the original topic...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(cast n blast @ Nov 19 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nope not taking it that way at all Mini and I realy do mean that the definition of a real trail is up to the participant but "my definition" is a trail with a nationals otherwise IMO its more of a club not that thats a bad thing....Ive just found that there not realy for me even though Ive taken alot of money from the smaller trails.
Im in a Skeeter becouse Skeeters real money program has been pretty good to me, Im a diehard skeeter guy, I like the boat, the look, the speed and fuel economy, the way it performs and Skeeter has a ton of sentimental value to me, thats what my deceased dad and I fished out of since I was a kid, heres a pic of me taken in 1979 sitting in the drivers seat of a 1978 Skeeter Wrangler next to my little brother, Skeeter was the leader of bass boats then and strives to stay that way.

Fair enough! I like Skeeters too, I just have some bad luck with them....not the boats...ME
I have been to the factory. Love the speed, the looks, the customer service....I DONT liek the price of the newer boats though....Been reading that the new 21i w/the new 250SHO 4 stroke is over $70k!!! Glad I bought a gently used boat when I did.

Anyway love the pic. And yes I remember the paper graphs...lol

BassCat builds one heck of a boat, period. I am not just talking bass boats! I had the pleasure of taking Ivan Williams out on St Clair about 10 years ago. I wouldnt hesitate to get a BassCat although I dont think they are the best looking boats. Performance, fishability, Cust Serv are all tops in the industry though. I have spent many days in a BassCat with my old tourney partner...

I only asked the question from a pure money making stance. While other manufacturers have great contingency programs I dont think any of them can touch what Ranger has (or had before Bankrupcy) for the FLW Outdoors tournaments (and others). It was just a question and I got a great answer Skip!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow 70k that is impressive. Skip when you get that new 21I pick me one up to Ill pay you back later. Seriously though cool pic I cant believe that you still have the same hair style today as you did in 78 LOL.....Funny thing is your still as ugly today as you were then now that is amazing.

Maybe we should get one of those graphs and replace heaths Hummingbird with it and see what he does LOL

801 Posts
I had to laugh looking at my pic with the paper graph and bow flasher, I remember knowing that was the best equipped and fastest rig around.
now we dont have to buy paper and can let the machine run all day long and we have graphs in the bow and Humminbird has fish finders now instead of just flashers not to mention side imaging technology.
I just wish I would have known how lucrative tournament fishing would be just a few years into the future.
I turned down sponsor offers too fish in the 80's becouse I was making over $50 an hour operating concrete pumps and just could never see fishing making that much money but that has realy changed in the last 15 or 20 years, Id like it to keep progressing in that direction so maybe thats why I favor and support the efforts of FLW and B.A.S.S. so much and would like to see them drawing full fields instead of soo many small trails.

All we have to do is look at Roys list (thanx Roy) too see the flood of "trails"

801 Posts
QUOTE(jcox7 @ Nov 20 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow 70k that is impressive. Skip when you get that new 21I pick me one up to Ill pay you back later. Seriously though cool pic I cant believe that you still have the same hair style today as you did in 78 LOL.....Funny thing is your still as ugly today as you were then now that is amazing.

Maybe we should get one of those graphs and replace heaths Hummingbird with it and see what he does LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.